Name that chord

What's Hot
Whilst learning some rudimentary jazz chords, i have come across a chord with the following sequence/structure:
R(oot), 2 (or 9 ?), 3, b7

X7(add9) ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10689
    edited November 2017
    That's just a 9th chord (no 5). Or dominant 9th (no 5). The flat 7 is assumed to be included, as you are not claiming a maj7. If you chose to have a 2 rather than a 9th (ie between the root and the 3), it's a x7 add2 (no 5). 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    egs:
    A9: x0968x
    A9: x0x423
  • sm55onlsm55onl Frets: 28
    edited November 2017
    Sorry....should have noted the fingering that i was employing. The ‘mysterious chord’ is being used as a modified V7-chord in a ii-V-I progression (in the key of G).

(bass E) —> (treble E)

iim7 chord: 5X555X [R,x,b7,b3,5,x]
    V7 chord: X5455X [x,R,3,b7,2,x]
    Imaj7 chord: 3X443X [R,x,7,3,5,x]

• BradBrad Frets: 659
    sm55onl said:
    Sorry....should have noted the fingering that i was employing. The ‘mysterious chord’ is being used as a modified V7-chord in a ii-V-I progression.

(bass E) —> (treble E)
    X5455X

D9 that fella
  • Ahhh, so the note construction of the ‘mysterious’ chord should actually be...

[x,R,3,b7,9,x]

Chord name is thus D_dom9 (no 5th) ?
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    edited November 2017
    sm55onl said:
    Ahhh, so the note construction of the ‘mysterious’ chord should actually be...

[x,R,3,b7,9,x]

Chord name is thus D_dom9 (no 5th) ?
    Correct!

The chord name is simply D9, you don't need to say 'no 5th'. You could include this note at fret 5 of the high E string if you wish though... But D9 is perfectly fine because the absence of the 5th is neither here nor there in the chord. It doesn't really add much to the sound of the chord unless there is an altered 5th of some sort of course. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom