Anyone done any 80's style Crackle/lava finishes ?

What's Hot
Im going to start to have a play with a few methods to do an 80's style crackle finish in the next few days and was just wondering if you guys have had any luck recreating this effect ?

Mostly i'll be trying the base/watered down pva/top coat/force dry method ive seen used on a lot of you tube vids

Should be a fun trial ;) hopping to get an effect like below

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    I had no luck with the pva method when testing on scrap and wondering if I could do it myself.  I got shabby chic rather than proper 80’s crackle.

even with the proper crackle paint, it’s a right ball ache. The effect is totally dependant on being able to spray a consistent and quite heavy coat very quickly and at exactly the right time.

I don’t think the guy I used would willingly do another.  Certainly not a full through neck guitar.
    This was the paint we used.  They do an aerosol in limited colours but I honestly think you would need a few to have multiple attempts
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1073
    That looks the mutt's nut WezV,

Ive seen a few different rattle can versions and the Montana and Vreeble look to give the best effects 

Montanna has a much better range of colours though (and is like 1/3 of the price) as there crackle works over there gold range of paints....hummm time to play 

Cheers
    Gizmo
    edited November 2017
    http://customcreationpaints.co.uk/crackel-paint

Sorry, I forgot the link.  It was the vreeble stuff
    So finally got around to have a crack at this with a couple of bodies over the pass 10 days or so (more details/pic of fails over at ss.org)

But the x2 passes that have come out of it sofar look pretty cool

More testing to be done just waiting for another body to arrive,and i have to strip a maverick x1 body i have laying about for more tests.....

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • They look awesome, I just sold my 3DR crackle, no doubt you could recreate one
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

They look awesome, I just sold my 3DR crackle, no doubt you could recreate one
    Is that the 3 ways Blue/Red/Yellow/black crackle ? if so yep i think you could get close with the montana paints ive been testing out,ive done a bit more testing today on an old maverick body to see how changing the spray head and the amount of layers effects the width of the cracks 

Im getting it to be less random now if i can count that as progress ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • No, the one I had was like this..

.. but I did lust after a blue one..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Nice. I've always wanted a crackle guitar. I looked around for paints to do it a couple of years back but drew a blank. Now I've got the itch again... 
    No, the one I had was like this..

.. but I did lust after a blue one..
    Cool like the one in my first post,that would be from what i can tell from my testing these 4 steps

Red base coat 24hr cure 

Red top coat 20 mins vent 

Light/Med Yellow/orange coat 45 mins vent

Black Crackle over coat x2 passes med wet coats (default spray fan/cap)

It will crack back to the red base/2nd coat but should also show the orange /yellow around the edges of the cracking

Nice. I've always wanted a crackle guitar. I looked around for paints to do it a couple of years back but drew a blank. Now I've got the itch again... 

Get some lotion :) it does take a few tries to get your head around the method but its a very cool effect,more fun than watching normal pain dry.....

Slapped and cured a few coats of SolaRez UV clear on the front and back to day as it was such a nice sunny day.

Amazing that this stuff cures rock hard in like 2-3 mins...just make sure it has an hour self leveling before giving it UV.

Should be able to get the sides coated and cured tomorrow...then on to clear coat flatting...oh joy 

• Tha blue is awesome!!   What body is it?
    My trading feedback

Tha blue is awesome!!   What body is it?
    Thx :) yep the Solarez UV epoxy really helps the black/blue contrast pop

This body is Alder & from a unused (post factory closed down i was told) Vester JJR 977 (it was also this pearl/pink color to start with) Ive had a few Vesters over the years and there really well made i can see why Fender went after them and got them shut down....lame reason "vester" sounds like "fender" ppl will be confused lol come on wft !

I have a 22 fret clean no front markers 16" radius maple/maple SS freted neck already made for it for it,although i might have found a replacement vester neck/pups/trem for it just waiting for a guy to reply to me.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom