Studio time/rates?

What's Hot
What should we be expecting to pay for studio time around London and the South East?

What is the usual process of recording? Are the recording/post/mixing/mastering all separate and distinct processes and would one engineer take on all aspects?

Recommendations for studios also very much welcomed, particularly ones that are sensitive to our genre (heavy/stoner rock). 

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Depends on how long you book time for (the more time you block book the cheaper you can usually expect to pay), everything is negotiable within reason. I'd do a search pick a few studios and visit them most studios are very accommodating and wouldn't expect you to book a studio without seeing it first. You soon get a feel for where you'll be happy or how you think you'll be able to work with.

Just my opinion but reasonably priced studios (£200-300 per day) East London I really like Gizzard studio very much analogue tape based studio. Soup Studio is very nice and has just relocated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In York we pay £200 per day which gets us 3 tracks recorded. Mastering is the same again on top. So £400 for 3 tracks. There's a isolated live room and the desk room. We take it in turns, drums down first to a click track with drum and room mics with us playing over the back behind the desk as a guide. Bass goes straight through the desk. 2 valve amps in the live room full volume with me playing behind the desk. 4 different mics on the amps, the guitars are then double tracked with another different guitar. Vocals are added at the end. Reel recordings in York with Dave Boothroyd. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom