Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

iPhone X / Ten

What's Hot
Yay, capitalism.

Picked up my X earlier (nice surprise - was told by O2 it wouldn't be available until the 17th) thanks to the O2 refresh package. Spent a couple of hours playing around with it; some thoughts:

- Lovely screen
- The material is great; very comfortable to hold and non-slip (he says, putting it in a case)
- Face ID works well so far....
- No battery percentage shown on home screen now. WTF?
- The face ID attentive stuff (i.e. dimming the screen, lowering notification volumes etc.) when you're looking at the phone is pretty cool
- Wireless charging takes FOREVER

Anyone else pick one up today?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    May get one in a couple of years when the price is more realistic. Still v. happy with my iPhone SE
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939
    edited November 2017

My phone is provided by my employer, we're still on iPhone 6

Why would they disable battery percentage in X?

From Apple:

To show the battery percentage in the status bar, go to Settings > Battery and turn on Battery Percentage. When you have Low Power Mode on, the battery percentage will always show in the status bar.

If you have an iPhone X, you can only see the battery percentage from Control Center. Just swipe down from the top-right corner of your display

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    Battery percentage is always disabled at a fresh OS install.
  • Im due an upgrade and was going to wait BUT Ive just dropped my 6 Plus and have shattered the screen :(

Might get a Sim Free and buy one...
  • MikkiMcMurdererMikkiMcMurderer Frets: 352
    edited November 2017
    Fuck Apple. Get a Samsung. The Apple is made of Samsung components anyway but the Samsung's have better specs. And proper headphone jack and expandable memory. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Fuck Apple. Get a Samsung. The Apple is made of Samsung components anyway but the Samsung's have better specs. And proper headphone jack and expandable memory. 
    And a propensity to share all your private data with the highest bidder..
  • One thousand pounds for a phone.........one thousand pounds
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    edited November 2017
    One thousand pounds for a phone.........one thousand pounds
    I know, right.. and the pixel 2 xl doesn't even look like it's worth that.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I ordered one for the Dev team at work, we should receive it next week hopefully.
    Old Is Gold
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    One thousand pounds for a phone.........one thousand pounds

To be fair, modern phones are significantly different from the old days though. I remember paying something like £500 for this back in '98.

Image result for nokia 8810

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    It' comments like this that make me embarrassed to own a Samsung.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Fuck Apple. Get a Samsung. The Apple is made of Samsung components anyway but the Samsung's have better specs. And proper headphone jack and expandable memory. 
    Impressive post. Such a strong, well argued case, I shall immediately throw all my Apple products into the river.

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Battery percentage is always disabled at a fresh OS install.
    Maybe but It's been removed from the home on the iPhone X.

• I get around £300 off the price of a SIM-free handset for work, so I usually prefer not to worry about damage and get something cheap which I don't have to worry about reselling. My next refresh is in April next year, so no iPhone X for me until at least 2020. I may get a 6s, but chances are I'll stay with Android just because I'll get a blingier handset for less.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • I still haven't used one - but yesterday I discovered my Nokia 8 is cable capable of split screening so I can watch YouTube and browse the Web! Okay, it's only a 5.something inch screen but that is awesome. I'm sure Apple can manage the same - look for it!!

Face ID seems a genuinely daft gimmick (for all manufacturers, not just Apple). Fingerprint readers are incredibly convenient and instant. The one on my phone is the least convenient type (pad on the bottom bezel rather than where your finger lands when you hold the phone on the back) and it's still super convenient. Of course, you don't have to use face ID at all, but it seems a strange thing for Apple to push so hard. 
  • FarleyUK said:

Is that 5w normal or 10w fast charger? How long is FOREVER?

I really like the X, upgraded from the 7.. would have hurt me paying £1k+ for one either buying outright or monthly contract but I got a very VERY nice retention deal through Virgin (the power of having 5 phone numbers through them I guess)..

I think it is a step forward size wise and no home button... screen is amazing camera is pretty darn good. Face ID is super impressive I thought I would miss fingerprint but no I have clicked with Face ID immediately 

beast of a price tho no denying that.

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    FarleyUK said:

Is that 5w normal or 10w fast charger? How long is FOREVER?

I really like the X, upgraded from the 7.. would have hurt me paying £1k+ for one either buying outright or monthly contract but I got a very VERY nice retention deal through Virgin (the power of having 5 phone numbers through them I guess)..

I think it is a step forward size wise and no home button... screen is amazing camera is pretty darn good. Face ID is super impressive I thought I would miss fingerprint but no I have clicked with Face ID immediately 

beast of a price tho no denying that.

Agree with this. I was upgraded from a 6S for work, so luckily I didn’t have to pay the ridiculous price. And I don’t miss the home button (I thought I would) and having thought the Face ID would be a completely ridiculous fad when it was announced, I’m completely sold, it’s a seamless process. 

Battery life is great too. 
  • £1000 for a mass produced device, when you can get something like a Helix for the same money which will not be produced in anywhere near the same numbers.

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7323
    £1000 for a mass produced device, when you can get something like a Helix for the same money which will not be produced in anywhere near the same numbers.

Can you recommend the best air time bundle for the Helix please? I don't need texts because I'll put WhatsApp on it.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I know they are two different things, but I recon the Helix costs far more to make. The margins on the Iphone must be massive.