just got a couple of korg synth apps for my 3ds xl (korg mo1d & dsn-12) .......

and am completely flummoxed by them (as not a synth expert at all).

any advice as to how to start to get to grips with them as they are pretty complex tbh for someone who has no idea about synths.

how do you start to get the hang of stuff like this?

i would like to be able to do some bad jean michel jarre,vangelis and maybe some trancey stuff if possible eventually,but just to start off really.

they are very good apps i have to add (are properly based on the korg m1 and ms-10 synths) and come with sequencers drum machines e.t.c. 

i just feel a complete idiot tbh lol
i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Your situation is similar to this old Alice Cooper lyric. 

"I can't get a car
    'Cause I ain't got a job
    I can't get a job
    'Cause I ain't got a car."

In the example of the KORG DS apps, replace the words car and job with sound and sequence.

You learn about the synthesis by fiddling with the sound generation controls whilst a sequence is looping. You learn about the sequencing side by having a sound ready to be triggered whenever the sequencer sends a note command.

I assume that the DS can only host one "instrument" app at a time. Hence, you will need multi-track audio recording equipment to do the full-on JMJ/Vangelis impersonations.

One obvious cheat to get you started is to create, say, a sixteen bar sequencer loop. Program one sustained note that lasts just short of sixteen bars. On the MS-10 app, select Arpeggiator On and press Play. As the notes flow, fiddle with the controls. Listen to the differences that filter settings, oscillator waveforms and pulse width modulation and detuning can make.
    Be seeing you.
  • ah thanks funkfingers i will try that.

when i say i'm a complete novice with synths i mean it but these apps are very in depth and from what i have watched and read they are very good synths but it feels like trying to read a rocket science book without having any clue what it means lol.

i do plan on saving up towards some type of physical synth as even though i don't play guitar anymore (due to being rubbish still after 25 years)  the desire to make music is.
     still very much there even if the musical skill isn't lol.

am thinking of either a novation mininova or roland jd-xi as a couple of choices as i hear good things about both synths

in the meantime though i will definitely be using these synth programs and trying to learn the basics.

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• horsehorse Frets: 1563
    The Ms10 and M1 were very different types of synth, so rather than add to the confusion I'd just start off trying to get to grips with the ms10, which is classic analogue and will help you to get your head round the basics of 'subtractive' synthesis.

Some of what you learn with the ms10 will also then help you to understand the M1, but I really wouldn't try to understand both from scratch at the same. They are different animals
  • ah thanks horse.

have tried both of them but atm the ms10 seems to be the most organic of the 2 to get to grips with.

i have no doubt that it will take much time for me to start to get to grips with understanding synthesis but there are lot worse things in the world to learn about and study.

i have to be honest  but have been into synths long before guitars as we used to have keyboards at secondary school and one of the first sounds/music i can remember back when i was a toddler (late 70's) was gary newman and cars coming out and loving that :-) 

• horsehorse Frets: 1563
    Probably worth looking at some youtube subtractive synthesis tutorials to get an idea of what is what. I'd agree that the  ms10 should be much more organic / easier to see and understand what is happening. The m1 was a landmark synth too, but in the digital era