Which 12" for a loud(er) Champ?

knuckleberryfinnknuckleberryfinn Frets: 253
edited November 2017 in Amps
I've been using 4x10 combos for the last few years and am sick of lugging them around. And my back is giving me trouble now. So I took my lowly ampmaker Champ to rehearsal a few weeks ago (playing swing and bebop stuff with a Loar archtop) and it sounded great. However, I think it could do with a better speaker. Currently it's got a Fender branded 12" eminence thing taken out of a DR2 which is quiet and a bit dead sounding. I'd love to put an albino blue in it but they're a bit pricey for me. What would you do?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
    edited November 2017
    Put a blue in it. Or a cheaper alnico option would be a Jensen p12r . But put a blue in it!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    M-Magnet Greenback will be much closer to a Blue than the Fender and cheaper
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Have a look at the WGS G12C. Maybe the /S version with a smooth cone. Lovely. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    Jensen Tornado. These sound great in Fender-type amps, are pretty efficient, not too expensive and have the bonus of weighing about as much as a paper plate.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited November 2017
    ICBM said:
    Jensen Tornado. These sound great in Fender-type amps, are pretty efficient, not too expensive and have the bonus of weighing about as much as a paper plate.
    Seconded - I’ve got one in my little Musicman combo - bought on @ICBM’s recommendation.

Nice bright highs that don’t take your head off, a clear - rather than forward/aggressive mid range and an extended low-end that doesn’t get farty when pushed.

I bought the amp with a Celestion installed - far too much mid-range for an American-voiced amp - at least to my ears.
  • The annoying thing is, I have 9 spare 10" speakers and a couple of fane 12s but at the wrong impedance. I'm tempted by the WGS, but can't get that Alnico Blue out of my mind. Maybe a WTB thread is in order and see what turns up...
  • @ICBM and @richardhomer I had a Jensen Blackbird in a 1x12 a few years ago and thought it was brilliant. And I really like the alnico Jensens generally. Not sure why everyone gives them such a hard time.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    @ICBM and @richardhomer I had a Jensen Blackbird in a 1x12 a few years ago and thought it was brilliant. And I really like the alnico Jensens generally. Not sure why everyone gives them such a hard time.
    Yes, I liked the Blackbird too - I only heard one in an amp so I don't have a wide range of reference, but it was very good.

The standard P series Jensens can be very harsh and buzzy straight out of the box - they break in quite dramatically, but I suspect most people don't give them enough time to do that. I have to say I'm not a big fan of the P12R either - it's really too inefficient, unless you deliberately want to throttle back the amp. The P12Q and particularly the N are much better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein