Boss Katana.... HELP?!

Hello everyone!

Having just recently purchased a Katana 100W 112 and loving it so far I decided to jump into the "Tone Studio" software.
But I can't install the drivers for the life of me. I've updated the firmware and all the other bits and pieces but the drivers don't install automatically (windows 10 by the way)! When I try to install them manually from the boss site it's just a bunch of readme files that are downloaded and no explanation on actually what to do apart from plug it in..... and crossing my fingers.
Has anyone else had this trouble and figured out a way to do it?
The windows 7/8 download has an actual setup.exe file to force it but nothing for windows 10?

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited November 2017
    I am Windows 10 and had exactly the same Drivers confusion.

I think I basically waited 15 mins and reconnected the Katana USB and it all worked...

Boss don't explain it well at all.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Check YouTube. I found a short video on there that gave a step by step guide. 
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • Nikko said:
    Check YouTube. I found a short video on there that gave a step by step guide. 
    I have quite alot! I'll have another look!andyoz said:
    I am Windows 10 and had exactly the same Drivers confusion.

I think I basically waited 15 mins and reconnected the Katana USB and it all worked...

Boss don't explain it well at all.
    I'll try it again tomorrow and see what happens! Thanks :)
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited November 2017
    Boss do say it takes a while to auto download but I wasn't expecting it to take as long as it did. Yours sounds even worse and there might be an actual issue.

Sleep on it always helps with PC's!
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11676
    Mine just installed them when I plugged it in!

If that doesn't work, you should be able to go to "Device Manager" (right click on start button to find on menu) and then you should see the Katana as an "Unknown Device", you can right-click and then click "Update Drivers" - at least you can see progress then.

You sure it hasn't installed?  It wont say anything to say it has necessarily (the balloon tip popups are inconsistent), if you open tone studio with it turned on and plugged in, you will just get straight into the software.  It is very undramatic.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • Wish mine did! Yeah that's what I'm doing currently been running for 1.5 hours and it's still going.....
    Pretty sure they aren't installed, it tells me to download them when I start up tone studio. 
    I'll keep it plugged in today see if it finds anything :(

hutchy29 said:
    Wish mine did! Yeah that's what I'm doing currently been running for 1.5 hours and it's still going.....
    Pretty sure they aren't installed, it tells me to download them when I start up tone studio. 
    I'll keep it plugged in today see if it finds anything :(

Sounds to me like it bombed out halfway through the install.

If you open device manager, delete the device listed as the katana then unplug and replug it, does that help?

Have you tried a different USB port and cable?

• Sounds to me like it bombed out halfway through the install.

If you open device manager, delete the device listed as the katana then unplug and replug it, does that help?

No I've already tried that :( going to buy another cable tomorrow see if that helps! Although the one I've got works for my midi controller, might not be compatible as daft as it sounds I've seen weirder computer stuff! Going to do a factory reset aswell on the amp and redo the firmware stuff, thanks for the suggestion :)
    hutchy29 said:

Sounds to me like it bombed out halfway through the install.

No I've already tried that :( going to buy another cable tomorrow see if that helps! Although the one I've got works for my midi controller, might not be compatible as daft as it sounds I've seen weirder computer stuff! Going to do a factory reset aswell on the amp and redo the firmware stuff, thanks for the suggestion :)
    No worries good luck man :)
  • It's strange how BOSS don't provide the driver files directly.

You can extract them if you have it installed, it might be worth trying that. 

Just open Powershell and run Export-WindowsDriver -Online -Destination C:/DriverFolder

It will then extract all of the installed drivers into the folder, it's then just trying to work out which is for the Katana, although the output from the command should tell you which file/files you need.

You can then install it through Device Manager. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    I had pains too (windows 10). 

Switched usb socket and plugged in/unplugged a couple times, eventually just left it for half hour. Then just tried to open tone studio regatdless! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...

• It's strange how BOSS don't provide the driver files directly.

Just open Powershell and run Export-WindowsDriver -Online -Destination C:/DriverFolder

It will then extract all of the installed drivers into the folder, it's then just trying to work out which is for the Katana, although the output from the command should tell you which file/files you need.

I don't have them installed that's the problem :P had it running all night searching for drivers online through device manager and it found nothing in 7 hours.... might be going back to the shop!

As for the PowerShell thing I have no idea what it is but I'll give it a go! :P

skunkwerx said:

Switched usb socket and plugged in/unplugged a couple times, eventually just left it for half hour. Then just tried to open tone studio regatdless! 
    Yeah ive done that repeatedly left it for 7 hours! Ill give it another go tonight if it doesn't work I'll have to look for something else! 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7672

When I updated mine I had to delete and replace the Tone Studio with version 2.0 first, before it would download the system program 2.0 - otherwise it just got stuck on the searching for files bit.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    Paul_C said:

When I updated mine I had to delete and replace the Tone Studio with version 2.0 first, before it would download the system program 2.0 - otherwise it just got stuck on the searching for files bit.

That is a really good point if you have a version 2.0 amp - @Paul_C might have nailed this for you @hutchy29 ;

I had to uninstall and reinstall tone studio to get my version 2.0 update done, but the stock in shops now I believe (Katanas shift quickly) is mostly version 2.0

So if you uninstall everything, re-download latest versions from BOSS website, then reinstall the system program, then tone studio, then plug in your amp...?
  • Paul_C said:

That is a really good point if you have a version 2.0 amp - @Paul_C might have nailed this for you @hutchy29 ;

I had to uninstall and reinstall tone studio to get my version 2.0 update done, but the stock in shops now I believe (Katanas shift quickly) is mostly version 2.0

So if you uninstall everything, re-download latest versions from BOSS website, then reinstall the system program, then tone studio, then plug in your amp...?
    Hmmm I'll try this tonight it's the only thing I've not done! 
    Thanks guys I'll report back this evening! :)
  • hutchy29hutchy29 Frets: 1
    edited November 2017
    So I've redone the system update/firmware (getting all the correct lights for the newest version) for the amp uninstalled and reinstalled everything including Adobe Air by the book and still no luck...
    Here's a screen shot of what I'm getting.

https://imgur.com/a/kSWdD
  • Maybe try rolling back Windows to before the first time you plugged the Katana in and try again?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    What version of windows are you on ?, some versions like Pro require signed drivers 

Try extracting the drivers files to c:\katdrv       type that in the box when it asks you where to extract to

In device manager click VIEW then "Show hidden devices"  .... look for instances of Katana and remove them by right clicking and choose uninstall 
    Then restart computer and go to device manager, right click the Katana device , update driver, choose  browse computer and type in c:\katdrv
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • hutchy29 said:

It's strange how BOSS don't provide the driver files directly.

I don't have them installed that's the problem :P had it running all night searching for drivers online through device manager and it found nothing in 7 hours.... might be going back to the shop!

As for the PowerShell thing I have no idea what it is but I'll give it a go! :P

skunkwerx said:

Yeah ive done that repeatedly left it for 7 hours! Ill give it another go tonight if it doesn't work I'll have to look for something else! 

I meant if someone else has then installed that they could extract and send them to you. 
  • Just windows 10 64bit the standard upgrade from 7 they rolled out. I don't have any driver files to extract into the folder? I'll try searching for hidden devices though! 

@olafgarten that would be pretty good of someone :P