Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

St Vincent on Graham Norton... Bizarre but good!

What's Hot
That was one of the oddest performances I've seen in a while, but it was entertaining! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I love her attitude and her approach. Need to  check out more of her music. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    edited November 2017
    Yes - I thought it was fairly out there for Graham Norton - she was also very good on Jools H too a few weeks ago.
    I know artists have to take their experiences and turn them into tunes/product but I think it takes courage to strip herself bare in these pieces about her gossiped over love affair.
  • I know nothing of any gossip, I don't tend to be that plugged in to tabloid bullshit. I guess it meant I could judge the performance on its own merits though.

I shall continue in blissful ignorance :) 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sorry @shrinkwrap I just read that back and it sounded condescending. Totally wasn't meant to be, I just don't read papers or anything that might have lead me to that information! No offense meant!

• I knew nothing about that relationship until it was long finished, and I'm a huge St Vincent fan. I think she's amazing, though - a fantastic, if idiosyncratic guitar player - and I'm glad that with each record she gets a little more successful. I think a lot of the wierdness is theatricality rather than madness. It certainly stepped up a bit after she did that album and tour with David Byrne. It works because she's not the chummy frontperson type, so that stuff is a good way to make a performance. The music itself is different enough that it sort of gels with the theatre. I mean, it wouldn't work for Ed Sheeran. But then, I don't listen to Ed Sheeran. 

I also don't watch Graham Norton, usually, so I'll have to check this out on iPlayer - thanks!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2627
    edited November 2017
    Since there was a double post here, I'll put it to good use sticking this video of Annie looking almost like a normal singer-songwriter, with an acoustic guitar in a field, that I found when I was looking for the videos two posts down. 

If you don't know, she's Tuck Andress's niece, and she did roadie-type stuff on his tours when she was young, so she's had expert finger-picking advice that she doesn't put to use that often. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • She's barely been on my radar to be honest but I'm certainly interested in listening to some more of her offerings. Any suggestions on where to start @Grangousier ; ?

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412

Lacks only blue eye shadow and enormous false eyelashes for the Peej 1995 tour look.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Actor is still my favourite album, although the new one does have some catchy singles.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Ass at playing the guitar, but since when did playing the guitar well sell records? Especially these days.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • (I'll have to do something about that double post - server shenanigans.)

The one I discovered her with was Actor, her second album, and because of that I think it's my default favourite. Here's a performance from Letterman around that time:

But that's just me.

Most of the stuff I can find is from around the time of her eponymous album in 2015, for example an extended set for Letterman: 

and a festival appearance the following year - you can see the sort of theatrical cool growing as time goes on, and this one has also got more of the extreme fashion she's started getting into. Amazingly confident opening to this one, and all the fancy dancing and hand movements in full effect:

This is from the album/tour she did with David Byrne and a lot of brass players:

And here's a very old one that proves that she can rock out (a slightly Hendrixy cover of Dig a Pony):

Apart from that I'm still getting my head around the new one, and enjoying the process a lot.  Have a look on YouTube, I'd say.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    edited November 2017

Terrible, hideous shit.

Sorry. :(

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I really like this video. Shows off her chops nicely.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6099

Terrible, hideous shit.

I tend to agree with you on this @HarrySeven.
    Art for art's sake?
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • I like her,she covered a Big Black song and did it justice

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited November 2017
    I like her, and her artiness, and her oddball choreographed live shows. I think she's a great guitar player too, very idiosyncratic. I'm not totally in love with the new album yet though. 

She certainly seems very polarising on guitar fora though, she sends half of TGP into paroxysms of disapproval.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySeven said:p

Terrible, hideous shit.

-this isn't one of your NGD threads. ;-)
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I like her, and her artiness, and her oddball choreographed live shows. I think she's a great guitar player too, very idiosyncratic. I'm not totally in love with the new album yet though. 

She certainly seems very polarising on guitar fora though, she sends half of TGP into paroxysms of disapproval.
    -the fact that TGP hate her so much should be taken as definitive proof that she's doing something worth listening to. :-D

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    edited November 2017
    Vocals (and image) heavily influenced by PJ Harvey.

Very quirky stuff.  Interesting, but doesn't appeal to me too strongly (can't stand the tone of that vile 70s guitar either)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback