Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

You would or would not buy a Floyd Rose or other floating / locking nut tremolo equipped guitar ?

What's Hot
What say you, and your reason why ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I don't need one. The 'need' for the standard vibrato on a Stat is rare, I'm happiest with a stop tailpiece 335
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    My 3 main guitars have Floyd Roses so yes I would. I like how they keep their tuning and like to use them for subtle flutters or a different kind of vibrato ala  Jeff Beck and Shawn Lane
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    edited November 2017
    Would, because sometimes they're immense fun, and nothing else holds tune as well with extreme abuse.

Would not, because I never take more than one guitar to a gig, and quick string changes are less practical on a Floyd.

Currently not in a gigging band playing guitar so I think Would is more likely to apply at the moment.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    edited November 2017
    No I wouldn’t. 

I barely use any kind of trem system and the Floyd just seems to limit the ability to swap drop tunings on the fly so why use it? Also in my opinion only, having one fitted to a guitar seems to render the player unable to hear a melody ad instead warbling light speed notes are used in it’s place. 
  • I have never needed one but I recently got a Charvel with Floyd and it is opening up all manner of creative paths, as I learn how to use it. Hopefully I am being "musical" with it. I hope to be able to get to altering the pitch to specific notes with the bar! Not interested in flutters and Super Mario noises per se, although they have their place.

Is it wrong that I want one on my acoustic guitar too?
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I literally never use a trem. 
  • rico said:
    worrabout a vibrato ;) ?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    I never use a trem. I don’t currently have a guitar with a trem. If I liked a guitar enough, that had a floyd rose, I’d buy it. I wouldn’t use the trem though.. I’m kind of fascinated by the look of them..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    edited November 2017
    Yes absolutely wouldn’t however buy one with a cheap Floyd, that’s just asking for baldness. When gigging with one however always take a spare!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ive never ever had a use for a trem system locking or not , its a big NO from me.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Absolutely would, I love a *good* locking system. The crap systems are awful, but a proper Floyd, Edge or a Lo Pro or whatever, fine.
    Why? Great fun and I hate tuning guitars. I would go so far as to say if I had to have a trem guitar, I’d pick a locking system over a Bigsby or regular Fender type, even with the obvious “problems” (no changing tunings or string gauge, awkward double stops etc). If I’m not playing slide I’m in standard tuning 99% of the time anyway. 
  • neilgneilg Frets: 94
    I already have, my most played guitar is my Jem.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Being without a FR feels like having no thumbs.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    edited November 2017
    Most of my guitars have trems and I use trem a lot. Whilst I prefer a well set up non-locking system (they feel more responsive to me) I like a FR for the stability and sheer fun factor. I always bring two guitars or more to a gig and I play mainly in Eb standard.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11495
    edited November 2017 tFB Trader
    I would but it would need to be a decent floyd (as cheap nasty ones are so frustrating).
    they are a lot of fun (even though I mainly play Feline Lions for the most part of late)
    Having a sustainer AND a floyd means it's silly noises time

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rico said:
    Same.
  • Have Lo Pro's on all my guitars, Including the non-Ibby that I'm currently having built. Love them. Anyone who says they can't be used musically isn't using them right. Just because you can dive bomb until the strings are hanging round your knees, it doesn't mean you have to. They're great for subtle use as well as full on abuse. 

Granted, not great for quick alt-tunings on the fly or gigging unless you take a spare, but this is just a great reason to buy more guitars right? 

All the right notes, not always in the right order!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Wouldn't know what to with a trem.
    Apart from a Bigsby that I just whack with the palm of my hand for a slight warble.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    I would.  I have two guitars.  One has as Ibanez edge trem. The other has a fixed bridge. There's plenty of room for both and the pros and cons are already discussed above.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Have Lo Pro's on all my guitars, Including the non-Ibby that I'm currently having built. Love them. Anyone who says they can't be used musically isn't using them right. Just because you can dive bomb until the strings are hanging round your knees, it doesn't mean you have to. They're great for subtle use as well as full on abuse. 

Word. I actually find them easier to use subtly than regular Fender trems, which I struggle to “balance” the pivot point and spring tension. Obviously Bigsby’s really only do subtle, but I like quite a lot of spring on a Biggy which means I can’t really do shimmers with my little finger as the bar is too hard to push down.