Fret buzz and string height

What's Hot
StevepageStevepage Frets: 3040
One of my guitars is giving me a lot of grief. For a while I just played with a slightly higher action just to play the guitar but now it's getting to me.

On the lower register (frets 1 - 12) are fine but once I get in the upper register (12-22) I get fret buzz and dead notes when bending. 

Now I've adjusted the neck for more relief but when I lower the action at the bridge, the notes don't ring out at frets 12-22. 

Can any of you help me out?

Also the neck has a shim, would it be a good idea to take that out so I could lower the neck height in the pocket?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    You need LESS relief and raise the saddles if the problem is at the 'dusty' end. The shim shouldn't be causing the problems you describe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    You need LESS relief and raise the saddles if the problem is at the 'dusty' end.
    Exactly. You need the saddles high enough that the notes don't buzz or choke above the 12th fret - that's the test of saddle height.

The shim shouldn't be causing the problems you describe.
    It will if the saddles are already at the top of the screws though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom