Recommend me a pickup combo

What's Hot
chunkmonkchunkmonk Frets: 49
edited November 2017 in Guitar
Currently not feeling the love for the humbuckers in my Les Paul (factory standard issue pickups) as they seem to have lack any definition and sound  ‘muddy’.

Looking for any recommendations for pickup bridge/neck combo that is more ‘refined’ for blues/rock style. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I always respond to these threads in the same way: before you shell out on new pickups, try adjusting your current ones. Height and polepieces can be tweaked to make a huge difference in tone. It's easy, reversible & FREE! 
    There are lots of tutorials on line. 

Once that's eliminated I'd suggest either: 
    IronGear if your budget is limited. I had a Dirty Torque/Blues Engine in my LP for a while & it was excellent for blues/rock. 

Mojo/Oil City if you can afford to spend a little more on the best pick-ups you can buy. Id suggest contacting Ash or Marc & discussing your needs & they'll recommend something. 
    @Alegree is another boutique winder who contributes here. I have no experience with his products, but have heard great things & all the advice he gives seems excellent. 
    We're lucky to have such experts here 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You could also try the 50’s wiring mod - it costs nothing if you can solder. 
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    If you still want a pickup change after trying the tips mentioned in this thread you can't go wrong with OX4's, I have a pair in my standard and they have completely changed it from a mediocre sounding guitar (it had Burstbuckers to start with) into a more clearer, refined sounding guitar with that wonderful Les Paul "honk" if that's the correct term. They aren't cheap by any means but are well worth the money. I've gone from playing it once in a while to playing it nearly every day. I can't praise them enough!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Creamery or montys... 
  • Jock68Jock68 Frets: 902
    Enjoy the journey, it could take you some time to get that elusive sound you are looking for.  Pickups are only one part of the sound, the wood and density/weight of the wood as so much of an impact. 

I would recommend Seth Lovers, they sound great in one of my guitars but crap in another guitar that is the same model spec etc but weighs one pound lighter.  I ended up putting a SD Jazz in the neck and that worked for me.  Everyones ears hear sound differently and they are basing their comments on their guitar which may well be very different from yours...  even if it is a Gibson Les Paul.
    Jock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    edited November 2017
    Shed's PAF Daddys are nice if they're still going (Welsh I believe). I've got some really nice Japanese PAFs that are proprietary, but I fancy something with a little more output...Not sure what though.
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    You can't ask a humbucker question on this forum without 90% of the answers being PAFs. 
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    PAFs
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    There is only one correct answer :)

http://i66.tinypic.com/29eizro.jpg
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    If you do fancy the OX4s, Charlie Chandler has some in at a lesser price than other sellers (might be used)
    https://www.guitarexperience.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=ox4

I can also recommend the Lollar Imperial Low Winds