Toronado trem suggestions

What's Hot
ewalewal Frets: 2582
edited November 2017 in Making & Modding
Any suggestions of trems I could add to my Toronado? I don't want to spend Bigsby prices if possible. Thanks

https://i.imgur.com/Y9cc0AC.jpg
The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    A licensed Bigsby or a copy is probably the least expensive option, in fact.

Unfortunately that's a very difficult guitar to add a trem to, and especially cheaply. As well as some sort of trem tailpiece, you will need to change the bridge since the saddles aren't grooved and the strings will slip off. (You may be able to get away with some cast-block saddles, some of those are grooved.) You then need to make sure there's enough clearance for the strings to pass over the top of the back edge of the bridge, and to keep enough break angle over the saddles you will need to shim the neck fairly heavily.

I went through a lot of discussion about this for a customer a while ago…

He sold it and bought a humbucker Jaguar in the end - it was easier and cheaper.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 187
    I had an Axl guitar with a similar hardtail strat bridge, where I added a b5 style Bigsby copy.  I used a Wilkinson 3-saddle short tele bridge with notches cut at the back for the strings to pass over.  That worked well, as long as the saddles were lubricated at each string change.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2582
    Thanks both. I think that's enough to persuade me to keep the guitar the way it is:-)
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom