Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Overdrive/Gain pedal that cleans up nicely with the guitar volume?

What's Hot
ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
Is there such a thing? I'm sure I heard somewhere that mosfet OD's clean up well, is that true - and are there any good ones? I enjoy noodling around controlling the gain with the guitar volume, my old Fuch's gain channel was particularly good for that - but I'm currently using a very clean amp, and getting my gain from pedal's, and none of them really clean up like a decent amp OD. Youtube pedal demo's never seem to do demonstrate what happens when you roll back the guitar volume. 
So - basically I'm after some recommendations. Ideas from mild OD to quite Gainy Dist are all good and give me the next thing to research :)
I'm sure some of you have been through an ungodly amount of gain pedals, so your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    edited November 2017
    Boss Blues Driver does this fantastically well. 
    Blackstone Mosfet Overdrive is good too as is the Barber Gain Changer 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    Thanks @Beexter that's a  good starter for 10 - The Blues driver seems to get a lot of love so I'll definitely give one a try.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I’m not really using pedals so much these days but I’ve had stacks of them over the years. The various Barber OD’s I’ve had have been very toneful and always cleaned up very well. The Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver also sticks in my mind as bing very volume knob sympathetic.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1372
    The best for this is the Hudson Broadcast
    Thanks, I've had a listen to some clips of the hudson, and it sounds a bit too 'fuzzy' if that makes sense. I guess that's the germanium transistor? 
    @simonk can you remember which barbers, would it have been the direct drive?
    More suggestions welcome, the research is half the fun :-)
  • Go for the Blues Driver as its cheap and you'll flip it easily if its not your thing! Wonderful sounding pedal inmto certain amps.

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    edited November 2017
    Not exactly high gain but the Soul Food does this well - can leave it as an "always on" pedal if you want and still clean up with guitar adjustments. 

The Catalinbread stuff seems to clean up really well based on the videos I've seen - pretty sure there's a whole video by them for the DLS Mk3 where he talks about the "hidden tone control" or something which is the guitar volume.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Exorcist said:
    Thanks, I've had a listen to some clips of the hudson, and it sounds a bit too 'fuzzy' if that makes sense. I guess that's the germanium transistor? 
    @simonk can you remember which barbers, would it have been the direct drive?
    More suggestions welcome, the research is half the fun :-)
    I’ve enjoyed all of them... they’re generally underrated it seems. The Direct Drive and Ltd are both great in their various versions. Two that really stick in my mind are the 1/2 Gainer and Dual Unlimited. I gigged those loads, always into a clean amp and apart from fuzz tones they gave me all the gain I needed.
    He seems to have scaled back production these days which is a shame, but the Gain Changer would be a good and versatile place to start.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72229
    The 'Natural Overdrive' setting on the Boss ME-50 does this extremely well. Probably not helpful if you're looking for a single pedal...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26891
    edited November 2017
    Not sure if you can get them in the UK, but the Anarchy Audio Gold Class does it really nicely. It's my current "never going to sell this" pedal.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • The best OD I’ve ever used is my Maxon VOP9.  
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4721
    edited November 2017
    MI Audio crunch box/super crunch box and even the inexpensive but highly under-rated Marshall Guvn'r2 clean up very nicely with guitar volume.  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • The Catalinbread DLS pedals do this really well. Also the Subdecay Liquid Sunshine is pretty good for using like this. I think the LS uses MOSFETs. 
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    MI Effects Crossover drive does it brilliantly, uses cascaded jfets. The cleans are nice and chimey too. Checkout the YouTube demo by bergs as he does do the volume knob thing justice
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Dano TOD (mk1) does the job very well IMO.
    Thanks guys, plenty of ideas here for me to check out, I'll be wasting away the hours on youtube later! Feel free to add any more if you think of them, If it helps, I'm generally P90's and HB's at the moment rather then single coils (I know P90's are single coils, but you get my meaning)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31477
    My default pedal for unknown borrowed amps or totally clean amp applications is still the Nobels ODR-1

It works really well with stubborn amps like silverface Fenders and you can set it almost exactly like the clean amp and then increase the gain to taste. 
    That characteristic alone makes it clean up very naturally from the guitar, and they're stupidly cheap even new. 

They were the Nashville overdrive of choice for two decades for a reason. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I know you said overdrive but if you plug straight into a fuzz face type pedal your volume knob has a drastic effect.
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    EQD Crimson Drive.  it's transistor based. no opamp.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 187
    Surprised nobody has mentioned the Sweet Honey Overdrive (or clones such as Tone City Sweet Cream, Joyo Sweet Something).

This pedal is often mentioned as the best in terms of cleanup and dynamics.

If you can solder, look at Fuzzdog's Bee Juice kit! I will be building one soon.