Have we already discussed Bonamassa's controversial comments?

What's Hot
LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
edited November 2017 in Guitar
If so, is there a thread? Can't find anything. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Back away slowly...

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    For anyone curious, he recently said this:

“I’ve really gotten over pedals. I can’t keep up with this craze of boutique pedals that make you sound like everything but your guitar. I can’t get my head around it. So you don’t want to play a guitar [properly] so you buy a box that makes it sound like an algorithm, like you just fired up your computer and you can spend the night staring at your fuckin’ shoes? C’mon man…

“I know I’ll get shit for saying this, but it’s fucking lazy. It’s insulting to people who spent 35 years playing and learning, like a lot of players. And we continue to work at it! These guys can barely play a chord but call themselves soundscapists. Get the fuck outta here! It’s bullshit. There’s so much masking and spin going on there. Can we get real for a minute? What do you actually play? Pick up an acoustic guitar… try that!”

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Would I rather listen to JB, or bands like Radiohead or U2 that have used loads of that algorithmic soundscaping "shit".

Hmmmmm.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    Hmmm...

Sounds like I need to get rid off my...

Joe Bonamassa signature Cry Baby
    Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face
    Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face mini
    Joe Bonamassa MXR FET Driver
    Joe Bonamassa MXR FET Driver Special Edition
    Joe Bonamassa signature model guitar simulator DI

... apparently they're all shit ;-)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    35reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Pretty much the epitome of narrow mindedness, isn't he basically saying that 'only the things that I appreciate are good and worthy'?

I can appreciate his hard work, effort and talent and equally appreciate those who approach the guitar from a more esoteric perspective for entirely different reasons. It's really not hard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I guess he's not grateful for those custom made Jorge Tripps pedals either.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    what a sod
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    I have to admit that when I hear of a guitar player "creating soundscapes" I'm inclined to reach for my revolver, but when you consider that some amazing music has been created by people doing just that it puts it into perspective. 

It's no less valid an approach than any other, it's just that I personally like music to be right in your face whatever the style, rather than swamped or distant sounding. 

Like all electric guitar technology since it was invented, good players use it creatively and bad players use it to hide behind. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd pretend to be surprised that JB is narrow minded and unimaginative but his songwriting and playing gave that game away years ago...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_ said:
    Would I rather listen to JB, or bands like Radiohead or U2 that have used loads of that algorithmic soundscaping "shit".

Hmmmmm.
    If you put it like that I’m 100% with Joe grimace 

I think Joe just hasn’t got anything meaningful to say - being talented, successful and driven doesn’t really make you an interesting person and that’s refelected in his nerdy interviews and inability to write a decent song. I say those things as someone who quite likes him in some ways. And he plays blues based music - now almost everything I listen to shakes down off that tree but Lightnin Hopkins, Muddy Waters,et al, weren’t especially technicality proficient on their instruments. Although they did have something to say. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Especially idiotic when you look at what The Edge does with U2 to create his "soundscape" as a three piece or what JG does with Radiohead. I like JB, but I also like U2 and Radiohead and a musician slagging off other players who use pedals and effects to create their own sound, some of whom have sold many millions more records than JB, is disrespectful. He's better than that and I suspect he just didn't think it through. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • If JB means that too many people put gear before practice, well that's true.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
    jgmouton said:
    If JB means that too many people put gear before practice, well that's true.
    Can you just expound on that? 
  • Andy Summers probably feels suitably chastened. He should spend his time developing his harmonic and chordal knowledge, rather than buggering about with effects to mask his shortcomings....
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I think I get what hes saying.... just plug the guitar in and play..... thats were the fun is.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I think I get what hes saying.... just plug the guitar in and play..... thats were the fun is.
    But a cynic could argue that that's also where the hackneyed blues licks are that have already been played a million times by better men...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12645
    I think I get what hes saying.... just plug the guitar in and play..... thats were the fun is.
    Different strokes for different folks but I’m sure the guys who create soundscapes find fun in what they do too.

i detest any musician who looks down on another’s talent to make themselves look better. That’s just being a wanker. And that’s exactly what Joe’s doing here.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom