What's the FB wisdom on buying a used 1-off UK hand built guitar?

What's Hot
close2uclose2u Frets: 997
edited November 2017 in Guitar
I have a huge desire for something rather unusual and unique. Oh botheration ...
It's a fender style instrument that was made by someone with a great reputation for quality albeit in small numbers and with a limited amount of online info. The price would be in the same ball park as a used US model. I'm hesitant to give too much info just yet. I have pics, some info but no hands-on yet. I'm wondering in general about the wisdom of this, about getting any sort of valuation to know if it's worth the advertised price etc. And what I should look for / ask when going to see it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Is it a Motorik? If so, yeah grab it.

As with any guitar with a potentially low resale value - like a new custom build, or a fancy non-Fender strat etc - it's just about how much you want the guitar and how long you think you'll keep it. After all, resale value doesn't matter if you never sell it.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    edited November 2017
    As long as it's not a Kenn Gordon guitar go for it  
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    edited November 2017
    timhulio said:
    Is it a Motorik? If so, yeah grab it.

No, made by a man in the North-East who did make some guitars for some well-known people and is also known for making a guitar shaped like an American handgun, and for working for Burns making their pickups etc.

timhulio said:
    As with any guitar with a potentially low resale value ... it's just about how much you want the guitar and how long you think you'll keep it. After all, resale value doesn't matter if you never sell it.
    It's not new, but the claimed provenance seems reassuring. I'm not thinking overly of resale ... it would not be for flipping but keeping - unless I end up not getting on with it at all for some reason. It's just hard to know how deep to delve in to my not-so-enormous savings.

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    As long as you're prepared for either a hit or a long wait if/when you come to sell it, then go ahead.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    This thread is worthless without pics
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    Do you like the guitar?  Is it priced at a point you can comfortably afford?  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Is it Paul Richardson? 
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    edited November 2017
    @Jack_ Fair point. @WezV I like the look & the 'thought' of it ... I haven't touched it or played it or heard it yet. It fills me with desire. It would cost a canny wedge of money that I had no intention of spending and be difficult to justify in a clear / rational / logical sense ... it would be me selfishly spending money on an indulgence. I don't play out of the house now and I don't even have an amp!  @sawyer no, J i m C a i r n e s ... @rico go on then - here's a quick look http://i.imgur.com/x2YcB5J.jpg
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    That's a damn cool guitar that not only skips many of typical 80s/90s UK handbuilt drawbacks (mad Explorer shapes/brass hardware/overpowered humbuckers/delete as appropriate) but also shows a clear Burns heritage, as a guitar by JC ideally should, AND ticks today's hip boxes (Tele/P90). Buy!!!!*

*not my money

:) 
  • XsmnmyXsmnmy Frets: 124
    As the voice of reason, apart from the scratchplate there's nothing very unique about a tele with a P90 in the neck, and without knowing anything else about it, judging purely by the looks, I would assume this was a 'nothing special' guitar. From what you are saying about the cost and your ability to pay, remember it's xmas coming up!
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I think I was expecting... I don’t know.. more...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

I'd leave it.

As above - basically maple necked tele with P90, easy to get hold of, sorry (and it might play amazingly) but I really think it looks like a dogs dinner, and if I do others are likely to as well.

Apart from a very few , resale is not good on 'niche' makers. You're buying used so that should be taken account of, but it also points to a smaller potential market.

Seems to me - you've fallen in love with the idea of the maker? I'd take a used US model any day, sorry

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    No, made by a man in the North-East who did make some guitars for some well-known people and is also known for making a guitar shaped like an American handgun, and for working for Burns making their pickups etc
    Not sure if this helps but... I have a Burns prototype which was made by Barry Gibson. It's a stunning instrument.

A friend of mine who plays in several bands looked it over for me and said the quality is what he would expect to see come out of the Fender Custom Shop. 

The pickups are by Alan Entwistle and are fantastic. 
  • I’m with the knockers, it started when I saw the picture I’m afraid. I think the guitar has a value to you and it’s your money, and of course depends on your disposable income and wether it’s going to be a keeper. If you think that at any time in the future you’ll want to sell it around the price your willing to pay for it I think you’ll have a hard time and long wait.

On the other side, you can easily blow that money on getting the car repaired or something other bill which won’t give you lasting or even temporary joy

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    Yeah, it will never be an easy sell even if it’s the best guitar in the world.  Honestly I think value caps out around £600 because of that... and that would take a while
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    edited November 2017
    Can't see the fuss myself.
    Unless it's the best sounding and playing guitar in the world, it doesn't look like anything special.
    And from what I can see of the peghead, it looks a bit naff.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Why ask us here? If you like the guitar and enjoy playing it, go for it.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    don't look for any resale value on whatever you chose.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I not long ago brought a guitar from a smaller builder that have a great reputation for build quality and parts and i knew when i brought it it maybe tough to sell if i decided to move it on.

I deliberated for quite some time but after i tried it in person i knew i had to have it.

Every time i pick it up now i think why would i ever want to sell this.

I say make sure you try it in person before you comitt to buy. If after trying it you fall in love with it i,d say buy it if you can afford it and accept it might to difficult to move on if you do decide to sell further down the line.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    edited November 2017
    The tone woods in the Cairnes guitar would need to be pretty special to justify a price significantly higher than a Fender MIM Standard Telecaster, two aftermarket pickups, a pickguard (or some DIY modification) and some simple soldering work.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.