Grestch G6120 Chet Atkins v Eddie Cochran

What's Hot
notanonnotanon Frets: 607
edited December 2017 in Guitar
Hi All,

Could anybody summarise the main differences between Grestch G6120 Chet Atkins v Eddie Cochran model with the P90s for the neck pickup. I know there are youtube videos out there but I'm just wondering if somebody has the two versions for a real A/B comparison. Any differences detailed would be appreciated.

I have picked up a G5420 and I really do like it to the point where I am inspired to go the whole hog and get a 6120. The only Pro series I could try in local PMT was a White Falcon and in comparison to the G5420 the build quality does stand out but not my style.

Thanks in advance folks!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    I like playing Blues, Beatles, 60s/70s era music but love most of the 'classics' so Cochran and Atkins styles included.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2427
    @Musicman100 and @TheMarlin might have advice on this.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7849
    edited November 2017
    Eddie model has single coils.  Dynasonics bridge and P90 neck. Sounds more tele like than your 5420.  Usually 9.5” radius. 

Chet model varies, plus there are about four different models (Country Club, Gent, Jet, and various versions of the 6120), but usually have 12” radius. 

its down to personal preference, no right or wrong. 

The truth is, there is no substitute to getting your hands on a bunch of them, and picking the one that feels good to you. 

For example.  I went into PMT in Birmingham while visiting family.  I decided to buy a Purple Brian Setzer Hot Rod. While waiting, I played a few different Gretsches, including an Anniversary 6118T-LTV (Jaguar Tan). I initially dismissed it, with its plain Jane colour scheme, but it blew everything else away.  Hot Rod and all. 

I left with it, and have loved Anniversaries since. Have had 3.  Also bought Black Phoenix, so got a Setzer model.  The Phoenix was a cracker too!!!  A real crowd pleaser.

Play lots.  Let your hands and ears make your choice for you. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @TheMarlin as always, advice appreciated. Thanks.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7849
    My pleasure. I’m not sure I was much help ;)
    edited November 2017
    @TheMarlin you did help. I was thinking of going down an Eddie Cochran route and you said similar to telecaster. So I watched a Darrel Higham YouTube about that G6120 and for his chosen pickup selection on 6120 Cochran I achieved a very similar tone from my Hagstrom Viking P50.

Always good to stop and think again. Unfortunately I missed out on the G6120 DSW sold recently here on tfb so waiting for similar to appear again. I was close to grabbing a 6120 Cochran bargain before that disappeared better to be patient and try the guitars ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom