Audio interface advice

What's Hot
Looking for some basic advice on audio interfaces.
I've been eyeing up a Focusrite Scarlett or similar from Presonus etc to set me up for basic PC-based home recording.

I have an Atomic Amplifire so would use the direct out from that. I can see myself mainly jamming along to backing tracks, using it to record new song ideas etc.

Would one of these units tick the boxes for me?
What things should I consider when choosing one over another?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've got the scarlet solo and it works brilliantly. If I had the choice again, I'd buy the next one up just got the extra inputs.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Can't really go wrong with Focusrite, good quality, well priced and easy set up :)
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1238
    You can't really go wrong with a Scarlett 2i2 as a starting point.

At that price range, most of the interfaces are pretty similar feature wise, the main separating factor being the software they come bundled with.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AvalonAndyAvalonAndy Frets: 326
    edited February 2019
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Driver Support, Driver Support and oh yes Driver Support, especially with. Windows. 
  • Focusrite, Presonus, MOTU. All great. If you need midi compatibility, check first as some new units don't have midi inputs. Most importantly, check compatibility with your operating system and ensure the manufacturer provides the drivers you need and updates them regularly.
    This.

And I'd suggest you make sure you have MIDI In, Out and Thru using 5-pin MIDI sockets rather than over USB. Even if you don't think you need it now, you might in the future. Not all MIDI devices have USB sockets.