Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

If all your guitars suddenly vanished

What's Hot

Comments

• I'd definitely replace the Lowden. All of my electrics are home builds, so it would be a great opportunity to keep building without the house overflowing with guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • adamm82 said:
    This thread has got me thinking. I just play at home so do I really need 8 guitars. Only 5 of them I consider ‘proper’ ones as one is a squire and a couple cheap acoustics don’t count. 

I have a SG special, 60s tribite gold top and a Les Paul studio. Maybe I should those 3 and put it towards the les Paul i want. I don’t think at this point i’ll be in a band I think buying new guitars are temporary fixes to keep me enthusiastic rather working on my weaknesses. 

then buy another sg later. :) 
    I recommend it. When I was in bands never had more than three guitars- I was too busy playing them to replace them. then I got a proper job & more disposable income and the collection gradually swelled to.. Erm... "Lots" (10+).  
    I saw a thread about culling the excess & it struck a nerve with me. I've gradually sold everything I wasn't playing regularly & am left with two. 
    I now spend more time playing again & have formed a bond with these guitars. (Saying goodbye to my LP Goldtop wasn't easy though). 

The cash I freed up is going to buy a new bike which is good too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I would reduce to 6 of the same and ditch the rest

PRS Hollowbody PS
    PRS Maple top  CE old style
    Gibson ES345
    Greco 1200 Les Paul
    Cort Adirondack ooo
    Partscaster

and forget the rest thats like 12 odds and sods.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Hmmmmmm.. good question, op!
     I think I’d go similar, but not exactly the same, and definitely less of them. 
    Ive got a few sort of duplicates, and I wouldn’t go down that road again.. I’d think more about what I really want/need and not just buy stuff, willy nilly like I have done before..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Not too sure - probably another LP, or maybe a really good 335 again. I’m pretty happy with my current setup though, so preferably no change thanks!
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I’d buy back 3 of them and save the rest of the money.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    adamm82 said:
    and you were given the money to replace them all.

would you buy the same or take the money and get different ones?

As the price I paid and the price they would sell for are almost bookends I would be more than happy for them to vanish and replace them with a Soloist USA. 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    That’s a tricky one.

Id probably buy a PRS Custom 22 & have it spec’d out like the one I had nicked. Then I’d buy another Yamaha SG. But after that? Im
    not sure. I’d probanly buy two guitars immediately then rethink according to the type of band I was in. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8786
    Definitely fewer.

then I can have all the agony and ecstasy of trading my way back to a roomful, again :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • I’ve contemplated this too! I’d buy a vintage Jazzmaster and see what was left...
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8786
    I’ve contemplated this too! I’d buy a vintage Jazzmaster and see what was left...
    I’d get a TVL and mod the funk outta it :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    edited November 2017
    I almost definitely wouldn't replace them with the same. I like what I have but they're both compromised for me. Maybe it's a sign I should change them  

I'd probably end up with just one nice PRS tbh which I keep thinking about doing. And maybe a cheapo tele for those single coil moments.
  • I'd probably end up with broadly the same stuff. 

CS-336 - unquestionably
    Strat - yes, but I'd go something CS rather than the highly-sentimental frankenstein I have now
    Tele & Cabronita - not 100% sure, but probably would aim for something to replace both with one
    SG - yes, though maybe a CS one rather than Std.
    Martin. Yep, though I'd try plenty and potentially end up with a 2017 D28 or HD28V.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10266
    I'd replace my San Dimas and use the rest to buy a 70's Black Les Paul Custom.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I would say 'Yes' to most of them, but I think I'd replace my Duesenburg Star bass with an Epi Jack Casady, my Westone and Hofner Semis with a 335 and spend the cash from one of my Squier JMJMs, my Tele Thinline bitsa, Hofner 500 copy and Vintage GG 12-string on something else.

• I'd move away from guitars entirely and get into scissor playing.  That's where the action is these days...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    Newest guitar: G&L Tribute Fallout, yes I'd replace that like for like
    Kit built Tele: yeah I'd do another kit, bit not exactly the same.
    First electric: Aria LP-a-like. I won't part with it for sentimental reasons but if it was gone I would replace it with another LP. A DC junior though...yes.
    And finally, a Hohner jt60. I'd replace that with a cheaply squier Mustang or jag.

On the whole I'm too sentimental and lazy to proactively do any of the above. Maybe I'll shift the jt60 on next year.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

Would get another Strat - possibly Custom Shop though.  My current one is an AVRI but it's better than any other AVRI I've tried - and I've tried a few.  I used to use them to try amps in shops if the shop had one in stock, thinking it should be similar to mine.  I never played one as good as mine, and most of them are lifeless in comparison.

Rather than have a Gretsch and an ES Gibson I might try and restrict myself to one semi-hollow.  Gretsch Panther looks very nice.  Having said that, a Falcon is so cool.

I'm not sure if I'd get a direct replacement for my Les Paul.  I find myself liking single coils and semis far more these days.  I'd get something solid body with humbuckers, but probably something a bit cheaper.

The money I saved on the LP and only having one semi would go on a really nice Tele.

I'd want one less valuable guitar that I wasn't too worried about taking in a gig bag on my bike, or leaving in the back of the car for half an hour.  Probably some kind of Mexican Fender.

That would be 5 electrics rather than 7.

I'd get a bass, but I'd probably just look for a Precision with a Jazz neck.

Not sure about acoustics.  Would replace but might try something a little different to what I currently have.

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Most of mine are one-offs or guitars that spoke to me in a shop.  If they all went?  I'd immediately replace the two EVHs I gig with and start collecting stuff that speaks to me again as and when I found them.
  • Would I have to get replacements all at once, or could I get, say a really nice tele and a D28 and keep the rest of the cash by in case I really missed anything else?