neck cracks?

What's Hot
adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
edited November 2017 in Guitar
on my sg there are a couple of lines from the nut heading towards the first fret.

not deep at all but look worse in the photos. neck feels very sturdy anything that needs to be looked at?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    looks like its had a fall , if you gently pull the headstock back does it open ? and i mean gently 
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    no there's no movement at all. still feels really solid. the bottom picture is more like the depth of a scratch. the first pic looks a bit worse in the pic than in real life. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    Has the tuning stability worsened since the cracks first appeared?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    haven't noticed any changes. ironically it probably stays in tune the best out of my 4 gibson guitars. 
    mark123 said:
    looks like its had a fall , if you gently pull the headstock back does it open ? and i mean gently 
    Could have had a whack to the front of the headstock. Could have taken a compression impact to the end of the headstock. Could be the truss rod, attempting to escape from under the fingerboard.

How is the guitar normally stored?
    1) Form-fit hard shell case.
    2) Padded gig bag.
    3) Unpadded dust cover carry bag.
    4) On a stand or hanger where children could come into contact with it.
    I have them sort of on a makeshift stand in the corner of the room i think one of the guitars in front may have knocked on to the face of the headstock, hasn't fallen as far as I know unless somebody is keeping it quiet! 
    adamm82 said:
    one of the guitars in front may have knocked on to the face of the headstock
    It might be worth inspecting the other guitars in front for evidence of impact. The tops of the machinehead posts on the SG may have dented the wood on the back of whichever guitar collided with it. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    Definitely looks like a crack to me. It's in the opposite place/direction that Gibsons usually break in, so it must have had a bump from the front or be something caused by the truss rod adjustment. The string tension will be keeping the crack closed for now, but it needs fixing - if moisture gets in it could cause problems.

If that's an SG, why does it have bronze strings on? :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom