What should be done about the UK taxation system?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 913
    edited November 2017
    @ToneControl ;;;;

re: the removal of Child Benefit when earned income exceeds £50k p.a.

Why should the govt pay welfare - that's what Child Benefit is (as are Working Tax Credits) - to someone earning over £50k?   or to a couple earning, collectively, say, £80k?

over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • How's about, you know how bands put out an album and suggest that the punters pay for it what they think it's worth, well why doesn't the government invite people to volunteer taxes according to what they think of the way the government is running the country?

I predict: most people would volunteer nothing but as soon as they see the country's infrastructure and public services disintegrating even more than they are now they will decide to pay their subs to keep things running. OTOH HMG will think Heck we aren't getting any money, we'd better provide what people will pay for (ain''t that the Tory market model?) ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Ro_S said:
    @ToneControl ;;;;

Why should the govt pay welfare - that's what Child Benefit is (as are Working Tax Credits) - to someone earning over £50k?   or to a couple earning, collectively, say, £80k?

erm, to avoid punishing successful people who have kids, whilst rewarding unsuccessful people for having kids??
    Sounds harsh, but why do this?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    edited November 2017
    Ro_S said:
    @ToneControl ;;

erm, to avoid punishing successful people who have kids, whilst rewarding unsuccessful people for having kids??
    Sounds harsh, but why do this?
    I don't really agree in universal benefits.

A couple earning, say, £80k p.a., should not receive any welfare benefits.  That includes child benefit and free childcare.

I would reverse the govt's undesirable social engineering policy involved in free childcare, and make personal tax allowances transferable for married couples on single/FTE  incomes who have children.  

I don't want a govt to encourage "unsuccessful" and scum people to breed.  I would introduce voluntary sterilisation for those who receive benefits relating to them having X number of children already.   Also, I would like many criminals to be sterilised.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Ro_S said:

I don't really agree in universal benefits.

A couple earning, say, £80k p.a., should not receive any welfare benefits.  That includes child benefit and free childcare.

I would reverse the govt's undesirable social engineering policy involved in free childcare, and make personal tax allowances transferable for married couples on single/FTE  incomes who have children.  

I don't want a govt to encourage "unsuccessful" and scum people to breed.  I would introduce voluntary sterilisation for those who receive benefits relating to them having X number of children already.   Also, I would like many criminals to be sterilised.
    the point with universal benefits is to reduce the cost of admin. You can easily then increase tax on the most well-off
    THe aim would be a simpler and fairer system. Everytime there is a universal benefit offered, the media starts complaining about it being unfair to give wealthy people £Y, whilst ignoring that those people also pay 50 x £Y in tax

what is your issue with free childcare?

I don't really like the idea of forced sterilisation, sounds a big Hitlery
    I do oppose the idea of the state providing an incentive for people to not work whilst having lots of kids.
    edited November 2017
    @ToneControl ; 

I'm not convinced that greater taxation for people on higher salaries whilst giving them forms of benefits simplifies things or reduces admin costs.    For example, I'm dubious about the Working Tax Credits system.

RE: "what is your issue with free childcare?"

1).  I don't believe that's good for the children or society for a govt to encourage parents to both go to work full time whilst their infants and toddlers are looked after and raised by others and strangers.  I think it's perverse.   I predict that over the next couple of decades we will start to see the folly of this when the repercussions become more evident in society.

2). I believe that people should take responsible for their life decisions.  If they choose to have children, they should look after them and raise them, not dump them on others.  The govt shouldn't effectively pay them to sod of and do something else.  Raising their young children themselves should be the parents' priority.

3). it encourages dual income families which is a big reason for the large increase in house prices over the  past couple of decades.  it's counter productive vicious circle.

Eugenics was around long before Hitler and the Nazis.

• Ro_S said:
    @ToneControl 

I'm not convinced that greater taxation for people on higher salaries whilst giving them forms of benefits simplifies things or reduces admin costs.    For example, I'm dubious about the Working Tax Credits system.

RE: "what is your issue with free childcare?"

1).  I don't believe that's good for the children or society for a govt to encourage parents to both go to work full time whilst their infants and toddlers are looked after and raised by others and strangers.  I think it's perverse.   I predict that over the next couple of decades we will start to see the folly of this when the repercussions become more evident in society.

2). I believe that people should take responsible for their life decisions.  If they choose to have children, they should look after them and raise them, not dump them on others.  The govt shouldn't effectively pay them to sod of and do something else.  Raising their young children themselves should be the parents' priority.

3). it encourages dual income families which is a big reason for the large increase in house prices over the  past couple of decades.  it's counter productive vicious circle.

Eugenics was around long before Hitler and the Nazis.

yes, it has been shown to be better for kids to spend the first 2 years at home, and then start going into childcare
    perhaps the subsidies should promote that.
    I was very happy to have my kids raised at home as a one-income family unit

dual income won't go away. started in the late 70s really I think
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 3181
    Too many government funded families continue to breed at a rapid pace draining accrued resources.

• Jock68Jock68 Frets: 149
    Income Tax is recovered through the Threat of Violence and it really is a crime.  Think it through.. if you did not pay your Tax..

You will get a Letter, Phone Call , Go to court, Police will call at your House, Police will knock down the door and beat you up and drag you out your House if you resist and do not pay, then you will be put in Jail.    This sequence will happen and it will end up in Violence if you do not pay your Income Tax.

Why should you pay for so many things that you do not uses or do not benefit from.... Ah the Greater Good..... So who decided that, did they ask if you would pay for IT?   Think of HS2, no one wants it.  If it was a good Business then companies would be throwing money at it, but they are not.  It is being paid for by your Income Tax.
    Jock
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 16231
    capo4th said:
    Big business and personal tax avoidance is clearly on the increase.

What needs to happen?
    Actually it's not. The tax take is rising. Lloyds Bank recently urged companies to pay their fair share of tax as they published how much they paid.
    My pump-action drivel gun is smoking hot today!