help please Tele content?

What's Hot
Just in process of modding a cheap Tele !
Wanting to put a map of Tennessee on back of guitar body.How would I attach and seal this. Cheaply and easily?
Thanks in advance:-)
Cheers Mark .
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Easiest way is to get something called Mod podge. It is like thin PVA glue, but dries smooth.

Basically you paint the guitar where you want to put the map, smooth it on, then paint a few coats over it. It grain fills it and turns the paper plastic and you can sand it smooth. A bit of lacquer over the top and it works great..

Doesn't really matter whether you go for the gloss or matte as it depends on the lacquer in the end how it looks anyway. You'll only need the smallest pot for what you are doing, so about £4

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    edited March 2014
    Is it paper? And over a normal gloss finish?

If so, paint the guitar body with gloss varnish like Ronseal over the area the map will cover and a bit more, stick the map on straight away when the varnish is wet, then paint on more varnish so it soaks completely through and seals it.

Ah… JookyChap (who else!) beat me to it, more or less, while I was listening to something :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks Jooky :-)
    What lacquer would you recommend? Is there someplace I can get both?
    Cheers Mark.
    You can usually get the Mod Podge stuff from craft shops and it works fine with acrylic lacquer or any other tbh as it is totally inert. Somewhere like hobbycraft would sell both, but it'll be cheaper off ebay. :)

I did this with it a few years ago...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9tqMJ_wUmiE/TAKyhxhYl7I/AAAAAAAAAXo/6KNzpqvPZGQ/s1600/010.jpg

It works best if the paper isn't glossy - magazine style - as  it is coated and tends to wrinkle - but something printed with a laser or ink jet on normal printer paper works fine. Just use thin coats and it'll be fine

@ICBM is right, just varnish will work fine too - just depends on the paper a bit more and what you are going over. The nice thing with the Mod Podge is that (depending how thick you lacquer over it) you can reverse it easily if you change you mind later on.

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I think you'll find a map of Ireland will go on there so much easier :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks guys .
    Guitar is a matte finish(I think,May have been gloss at one time)
    haven't got the map yet,but think it will be just paper type?
    ICBM is it just standard ronseal clear varnish,or any clear wood varnish?
    Also I picked up a vox Cambridge 30.
    It certainly isn't a AC30? All works fine,but is it worth putting a 50 watt 10 inch speaker and a few cap/board changes? And do ya know anyone over Leeds/Bradford area and is reasonable ?
    Or would the mods and speaker fit,prove too expensive ? I technically got the vox and my telecaster for free! Apologies for long post ;-)
    Cheers Mark.
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Lixarto said:
    I think you'll find a map of Ireland will go on there so much easier :)
    Best not to put a map of Tasmania on there though...
  • Also is there a way of making a map look old/relic etc ? Before I attach it or would the varnish do that?
    ;-)
  • Jooky ,that beano les Paul ,looks ace!
    Think I saw that on the net from a few years back. my idea of.putting it just on back,might turn in to doing it all! Doh ;-)
    How easy is it ro get off ,if I balls it.up?
    Cheers Mark.
    Before you lacquer it, if you just cut it you can peel it off...

edited March 2014
    ICBM is it just standard ronseal clear varnish,or any clear wood varnish? 
    Any clear hard gloss varnish should be fine.

Also I picked up a vox Cambridge 30. 
    It certainly isn't a AC30? All works fine,but is it worth putting a 50 watt 10 inch speaker and a few cap/board changes?
    It might be worth changing the speaker - it needs to be at least 30W (it's not a very loud amp, I doubt it really puts out quite 30W), and 16 ohm if I remember correctly - but not worth doing anything else. Probably a Celestion G10 Greenback or G10N-40 would be the best bet unless you want to go completely mad and put a Gold in it! I would avoid the G10 Vintage, it's too dark and middy for that amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Also is there a way of making a map look old/relic etc ? Before I attach it or would the varnish do that?
    ;-)

Scrunch it into a ball , then flatten it out and soak it in some tea.Will give you a nice aged effect .The tea gives it a lovely stain and soaks into the creases for the aged look.
  • Thanks bobblehat .will practise the tea bag effect;-)
    ICBM from the korg/vox site its 8 ohms.and has celestion in it(not sure which model) if I put an 8ohms celestion 50 watt in,would it struggle to power it ? And if so which speaker or other make would you recommend ? And also what valve would you recommend ?thanks in advance .;-)
    Cheers Mark .
    ICBM from the korg/vox site its 8 ohms.and has celestion in it(not sure which model) if I put an 8ohms celestion 50 watt in,would it struggle to power it ? And if so which speaker or other make would you recommend ? And also what valve would you recommend ?thanks in advance .;-)
    Check if it says on the speaker itself, because the schematic I found online shows 16. (Although there has been more than one version of the amp, so it's possible they're different.) Don't put an 8 ohm speaker in if the amp requires 16 ohms, that could cause trouble.

The amp will drive a 50W speaker just as easily as a lower-rated one, contrary to popular myth! The important thing is the impedance and the sensitivity. Do you have the speaker already? If so, which model - they're far from equal and if it's not a good 'guitar' model it won't sound good.

If you want the true Vox tone I would stick to Celestion. The G10 Gold would be the ultimate, but it's extremely expensive and probably overkill for that amp. The G10N-40 is probably the best compromise for cost and tone.

A good valve would be a Tung-Sol 'reissue' 12AX7 - it's not expensive and sounds very good, Vox use them in their new valve models. Electro-Harmonix also sound good and are cheap. I would avoid Sovteks and JJs, they sound muddy to me. (Though some people like them.)

• marktheharpmarktheharp Frets: 89
    edited March 2014
    Thanks very much ICBM ;-)
    No I don't have a replacement speaker yet. Will take all of above on board .I have heard good things about northern guitars in Leeds opposite the old 'ALLEGEDLY, DODGY ',old MUSIC GROUND place! Or can yo message ne any other good,well priced amp techs in the Leeds area?
    Thanks again for every body's help and advice :-)
    replaced my first jack socket yesterday and gonna wire a p90 soapbar into neck of my tele soon.first ever solder of a pickup! Woop, Woop;-)
    edited March 2014
    Ah… my mistake. The schematic is for the Cambridge 30 Twin, which has two 16-ohm speakers.

Not sure how I overlooked the other speaker in the diagram! :)

So if your amp is a single 10", it does need an 8-ohm speaker.

If you can replace a jack socket, you should have no trouble with a speaker - chances are it won't even need soldering, most modern amps use push-connectors. All you should need is a screwdriver to take the amp apart and the speaker out (or possibly a spanner, if it has nuts rather than bolts).

The valve is accessible without opening the chassis up, although it's far easier to take it out of the cabinet, if I remember - it's up on the forward-facing side of it.

• Yes thought it was;-)
    there isn't that much info out there on them.
    Just gonna play it And see! Maybe not be the amp for me? There is no between sound it's either super quiet or really boom sounding .but only had it a few days! So too early to tell.thanks again everyone ;-)
    Cheers Mark .