Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Automatic For The People....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    edited November 2017
    Extraordinary record.  I put it alongside DSOTM and Rumours in the class of album that can only come about when a group of individual songwriters are all at the top of their game and bringing their different projects to the recording.  Shame that these albums are inevitably followed by worldwide domination and an accompanying loss of focus and ambition, never to be regained!

There’s a rip of the original US vinyl pressing kicking about on the web that beats out all of the HI-RES digital files imo.  It has a smoothness to it that fits the record perfectly.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • New Adventures has Electrolite on it, which is one of my favourite songs of all time. It definitely deserves more praise.

I think "Up" and "Reveal" have their moments as well. "Saturn Return", "All The Way To Reno", "At My Most Beautiful", "Daysleeper" are wonderful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Boromedic said:
    @UnclePsychosis will you marry me?!! 

-only if we can both agree that Around The Sun never happened. 
    Ha, I quite like a few things from that
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I've been on Pageant all morning. It's growing on me. Good headphones and a quiet work morning have helped :)

It's a great record, it's quite raw in both it's performances and it's production, but that's part of the charm.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I prefer Out of Time, as the OP AFTP is probably the most complete but Out of Time just means more to me from my youth.  Document and Green both very strong but not in the league of those two.  Saw them at the Milton Keynes bowl on a red hot day in the 90s, as the sun went down they played losing my religion and ironically was an almost religious experience!
  • REM were simply a great band. Lifes Rich Pageant was the first CD I ever bought and I played it constantly for months. I must admit that by AFTP my interest had waned a bit but I agree that, with the benefit of hindsight, it's undoubtedly a classic. It's interesting that both Out of Time and AFTP became huge sellers without any live tours to support them especially since REM were really great live too.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    Boromedic said:

-only if we can both agree that Around The Sun never happened. 
    Hahaha, you're on! (although I had a sneaky love for Final Straw)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

Cirrus said:
    Boromedic said:

I would agree wholeheartedly with your choices and inability to pick a favourite! REM one of my fave bands ever and I couldn't possibly choose between Murmur, Fables, Pageant, Auto, Monster and New Adventures (unusual to see someone else pick those last two, love New Adventures)

Are you kidding? New Adventures was the album that got me into them!
    Goodo,lol! I love that record but not many folk seem to like it, I'm looking forward more to the 25th version of this tbh as I found the recording fascinating.....

edited November 2017
    As a side note, I've bought every 25th anniversary re-release from Murmur on despite owning them all already. However I balked at Automatic being £75 for the deluxe version, after they charged £40 for Out Of Time I felt it was a right cash in so they can do one this time.....

• dindude said:
    I've been on Pageant all morning. It's growing on me. Good headphones and a quiet work morning have helped :)

It's a great record, it's quite raw in both it's performances and it's production, but that's part of the charm.
    -to me it always felt a bit like the world's best recorded live album. 

These Days in particular is one of my favourite R.E.M. moments - when Mike Mills hits those backing vocals in the chorus (We are young - we are concerned - we are hope) I never fail to get a wee thrill. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    edited November 2017
    Also prefer Out Of Time slightly but the Out Of Time - Automatic duo is arguably one of those incredible moments in a band's career that only a select few other artists achieve - two near-perfect albums in a row.

New Adventures In Hi-Fi... ugh.. cannot understand the appeal.. that was the moment that REM lost me.
  • See, Automatic was when REM lost me. It had been on the cards since Out Of Time and to be honest, for me the last great REM album was Pageant.
     Still, four perfect albums in row. That's four more than most bands manage!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • stickersticker Frets: 869

One of the only albums I've bought more than once (wore out a tape copy and bought it on CD twice) .

Since Ipods/Mp3 players became the norm I've been guilty of being a "Shufflehead" which is the listening equivalent of ADHD and I appear to have stopped listening to albums as a whole anymore so having seen some of the adverts for the re-issue I gave AFTP a listen again start to finish for the first time in years and it's still a magnificent piece of work .

I would love to play in an R.E.M tribute band ... I'm not even bothered about playing the Peter Buck parts... I'd happily be Holsapple/December/McCaughey/Stringfellow .

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    Ignoreland is my fave moment on that album.

But it is the last REM album I really liked - and I still listen to it often.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.