Working out track or transcribe?

What's Hot
I'm looking for some advice. Whats the best way of working out a track by ear for someone who has bad memory?

Is it best to transcribe? Everything you work out write it down or try to use memory alone to learn the piece. Each day come back to it and force your self to re learn what you have already worked out? 

In the past i have written things down but i'm thinking is this actually worst for me as i read that to learn something quicker try to get away from reading something as soon as possible. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I get the structure of the song down first, intro, verses, choruses lol. Then the main riff or hook of the song. Out comes the metronome and I make sure rhythmically I get all the parts right to tempo and in time. After that work towards song tempo and try to get through start to finish without messing up or forgetting where I am. All repetition and practice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I tend to learn by repetition, as @Lescaster has noted. After a while, it's down to muscle memory.
  • @Lestratcaster is right: get the structure nailed first. Then do each section. Nothing wrong with writing it out, especially if you're likely to forget it afterwards, you need to be able to refer back to it. After a while and with enough repetition, each section becomes muscle memory and by that time you will also have memorised the structure ... so you will not only know what order things come in but you will also know how to do each thing.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Cheers guys.

It was more about working out tracks or licks or solos to get them into memory. Guthrie Govan and lots of greats said they transcribed lots... which means to write down. However some people say transcribe and they mean just work out. Whats better? As you soon as you have written it down you then read to get it into memory. However if you kept coming back to the solo and working it out again and again until its memory would this improve your ear and memory quicker?
  • Cheers guys.

It was more about working out tracks or licks or solos to get them into memory. Guthrie Govan and lots of greats said they transcribed lots... which means to write down. However some people say transcribe and they mean just work out. Whats better? As you soon as you have written it down you then read to get it into memory. However if you kept coming back to the solo and working it out again and again until its memory would this improve your ear and memory quicker?
    I think that depends on your learning style. Personally, I'd want it written out so that I had a good mental understanding of what is required, because I believe practice is programming your motor system, and the last thing you want to program in is mistakes. So get a handle on what it is you have to play, in writing, and work on each section slowly to get it right, then start putting it together and speeding up later. Other people like to pile in and do it without reading any instructions first. That's OK if it suits them ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I usually find some lyrics online and copy them into a blank Word document with double line spacing.  Then I listen through a few times and make notes.  If I'm the only guitarist that often means working out which bits I'm going to attempt and which bits will be left out.  That sometimes means getting our bass player to play a different line if it fits in.  Take special care to work out what you want the rest of the band to do if you're playing a solo.  Most guitarists (well, me anyway) tend to play along with the chords and then instantly go mad riffage when the solo kicks in.  Work out the chords/structure to back you up and it'll sound much better.  The problem in a rehearsal or gig situation is that you become so immersed in nailing your solo that you don't really notice if people beside you are playing stuff wrong. ...then you wonder why it doesn't sound like it did when you were playing along with Youtube/whatever.  YMMV etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Getting a transcription will give you a general idea and make sure you don't mess up (If it's transcribed correctly of course ;)).

But you are right in that at some point you're gonna have to learn how to play it on your instrument and unless you can play directly from sheet music like the guys in orchestras, it's going to have to get into your head.

For that I would just learn the first phrase, get it down under my fingers and get to the next one. Take your time with it and you'll be fine.

The goal for me is to get your brain AND your hands to know what the next phrase is as you're playing the previous one.
    The secret of memorizing songs for me is to not view them as a single block but rather as a succession of licks and phrases, and if you know which one goes after the one you're playing, then you can play the whole song without any problem.

Let me know if it helps (or doesn't) and good luck.

Max

• thanks so much for all comments! yes this has helped a lot. Just need to be more patient and take time.

I have remembered a lot of things in the past but then never remember them again. I guess just need to keep going over old ground as well as new!