Are Ebony finger boards better?

What's Hot

Comments

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Bucket said:
    That guitar is nice, Denis. Really like what you've done with the design (would like to see one with an ebony board! :D)
    Thanks, Connor. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28132
    You seem to be trying to position me as a Clarksonesque advocate of using the world's precious resources until they are used up; nothing I have said should suggest this is the case.
    Not at all, chief, and I apologise if it came across that way. I just think Gibson are in an awkward position - darned either way.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    ICBM said:
    I think it would be much better if the 'modernised' guitars were also improved in other ways which would make them less prone to damage. After all, if you're going to make a Les Paul Standard that's a semi-acoustic and a Les Paul Custom with a plastic fingerboard, why not reinforce the headstock with a carbon fibre inset that you can't even see from the outside?

It baffles and annoys me that they'll happily change something to save money or weight and claim it doesn't affect the tone, but won't change something that hundreds or maybe even thousands of unlucky owners a year find out the hard way is a major design flaw.
    SO MUCH THIS.

Also, @jimmyd, that Soloist is lovely.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    ICBM said:
    a Les Paul Custom with a plastic fingerboard
    GnnnnnnnnnnnnnaaaARGH!

I know you're just taking the piss, but there's as much wood fibre per gram in Richlite as in ebony.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17601
    tFB Trader
    I love ebony boards. 
    They feel all slippy and fast and they sound good and zingy. 
    I've got no problem with a Richlite board if it works the same, but I'm completely with ICBM that producing guitars that aren't reissues, but also don't improve on the flaws of the originals is just plain daft.  
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    I did try a well used 80's LP, that did feel nicer than a new Midtown. Not sure how much that was down to the material or just because it was 'run in'

• LewLew Frets: 1657
    I love the look and feel of ebony but all the electric guitars I've had with ebony boards have had some uncomplimentary high end frequencies and a really really fast attack that I dislike. Think the one exception was a Hamer Californian with solid maple body, who knows what that was about!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    edited August 2013
    I've got no problem with a Richlite board if it works the same, but I'm completely with ICBM that producing guitars that aren't reissues, but also don't improve on the flaws of the originals is just plain daft.  
    +1
    jimmyd said:
    +1.  Jet black fret boards are teh awesomez.  Especially on tasteless 80s style rock machines...

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy351/jamesmdarley/Jacksonred_zps9383c21c.jpg
    That's the height of good taste! (I'm not even joking)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    Sporky said:
    ICBM said:
    a Les Paul Custom with a plastic fingerboard
    GnnnnnnnnnnnnnaaaARGH!

I know you're just taking the piss, but there's as much wood fibre per gram in Richlite as in ebony.
    Sorry :).

Yes, I know...

I'd actually far rather a decent Richlite board than some of the streaky ebony they've used in the past on Studios - yes, I also know that they did this on purpose to use B-grade wood rather than scrap it, which is sensible, but it really doesn't look nice.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I've got a blank of the stuff sitting next to me - might as well use it in the next build.

Raw it does have a slight oddness to it looks-wise, but it has an OK ring when tapped.
  • Ebony fingerboards are definitely better than cheese fingerboards.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26570
    ICBM said:
    I'd actually far rather a decent Richlite board than some of the streaky ebony they've used in the past on Studios - yes, I also know that they did this on purpose to use B-grade wood rather than scrap it, which is sensible, but it really doesn't look nice.
    Y'know...I actually quite like streaky ebony. I can't remember exactly, but I think I've got a streaked ebony board on my next Jaden Rose...

Half the black ebony boards out there these days are just dyed black anyway, by all accounts.
    <space for hire>
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    edited August 2013
    Streaky? On Studios? Really? When?

I've owned a couple of early/mid 90s Studios with ebony boards  - and btw, IMHO these were the best LP Studio models ever made ( I bought one in 1994 over MANY Les Paul Customs that I tried at Rosetti) - and neither had streaks. In fact, the one I currently have has a very dense, very black board - and before anything is said, no it isn't dyed as after all these years and lots of gigs it would start showing...

I thought the ebony boards ended in around late '94 to early '95...

Back  on topic - ebony boards do change the tone of a guitar. I swapped out a rosewood board Strat neck for an Ebony boarded one and it did sound different - harder attack and more harmonic content. I actually wouldn't say it was better, just different.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    impmann said:
    Streaky? On Studios? Really? When?

Sometimes - not all of them. I've seen a few with quite ugly streaks in - not even really "streaky" which can look nice, just a random brown steak somewhere. It doesn't change the quality of the guitar, obviously - just looked a bit cheap.

Others have made me wonder why they were on a Studio at all, since the logic was to use up B-grade ebony which wasn't good enough for a Custom, and they looked fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    The guitar and instrument industry are not heavy users. Furniture makers get through was more of the rarer woods.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Sporky said:
    Not at all, chief
    A sure sign of middle-age- using words like 'chief', 'sport', 'cobber' & 'chum' without irony.
    At least you haven't started saying 'sonny' I guess.

;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    the ethics of wood choice is important to me, but it doesn't really help to answer the question.  but if we answer the question truthfully then we are also encouraging the use of these unethical woods

so my opinion, separate from the issue of ethical wood choice:
    Brazilian rosewood is the best fretboard choice for almost all guitars.  But its simply not available and the quality of the stuff you can get is questionable.  you can get pretty wood from dug up stumps still, but the really good stuff comes from large straight grained trees which simply don't exist.  when you see new guitars with brazilian rosewood its often of such a poor grade i would not touch it.  you see old ones and it looks just dark and boring - that;'s the stuff i want

Ebony is second best for me, but it doesn't suit everything because of the fast attack it brings to the mix.  I don't  care about streaks or discolouration as i am happy to dye.  Macasser ebony is a particular favourite, a bit more rosewoody in appearance  but still feels like ebony.  I think Bob taylor talks a lot of sense on the issue.  if you still want to use it then accept it wont be pure black and you can

Indian rosewood is a pretty good choice.  its kinda vanilla, but there is nothing wrong with good vanilla.  it is still mostly available and plantation grown versions are now a viable option

there are a hundred other alternatives i could list but i can't be bothered. They will all work if they have the right grain structure and can hold a fret,  and most will work pretty well

octatonic said:
    Sporky said:
    Not at all, chief
    A sure sign of middle-age- using words like 'chief', 'sport', 'cobber' & 'chum' without irony.
    At least you haven't started saying 'sonny' I guess.

;)
    Chief and chum are the only ones of those I use. I feel no shame.

Back on topic I've still got a neck-sized chunk of macassar I bought from Wez - I'm afraid to touch it with a tool. It is beeyootiful.
  • jimmydjimmyd Frets: 60
    Slightly OT but I find the word "chum" slightly sinister
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    The jet black stuff is Gabon ebony. Very tightly controlled and very expensive. Macassar is basically a (very nice) substitute. I own two acoustics made from real, old stock (pre CITES) Brazilian rosewood and the wood cost a small fortune. I would not pay for that wood on a solidbody, ever as it is pointless. On an archtop or an acoustic I would if I was well flush. Cocobolo is a lovely fretboard material. Much harder than rosewood but similar in looks. If any of the builders want to look into alternative woods my brother has tonnes of African stuff as he owns a furniture maker. Ironwood and blackwood would both work methinks.