I am Les Paul hunting what could I get for my money?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• markjmarkj Frets: 914
     I would personally go for a traditional rather than a standard. Last week I bought a 2010 mint goldtop traditional, its far better than the 2003 standard I had. I wouldn't entertain any of the newish standards and trads, the ones with the caps mounted on printed circuit boards. When I get around to it I'm going to order up some 0X4 pups for it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited November 2017
    Trade one of your modest Les Pauls (in addition to your £1500 cash) and get a (used) R7 or R8. Preferably a 2013  onwards model. This should be just about do-able.

If you are going to jump (in quality) - make it a huge jump.

Sorry to give such blunt advice. I was born in Yorkshire and I cannot stop myself.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    Skipped said:
    Trade one of your modest Les Pauls (in addition to your £1500 cash) and get a (used) R7 or R8. Preferably a 2013  onwards model. This should be just about do-able.

If you are going to jump (in quality) - make it a huge jump.

Sorry to give such blunt advice. I was born in Yorkshire and I cannot stop myself.
    problem is part of my budget will be made from the sale of my existing guitars.

it's hard to drop big money on R7 or R8 when apparently I am supposed to be buying a house or something. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mortmort Frets: 719
    In addition to my Amazon suggestion above, hold fire until Black Friday as it might be possible to get 20% off a Warehouse purchase. You might also get lucky with a brand new Standard or Trad for around £1k if they repeat the deals of previous years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/1990-gibson-les-paul/1274526617?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/1990-gibson-les-paul/1274526617?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

You could buy this and sell the valuable chainsaw case for £150/200 and the spare set of pickups it comes with for a reasonable amount too i’m sure. With a bit of haggling thrown in you’d be close to £1k!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    oooh that's nice :+1: 
    I need to shift my other guitars urgently! 
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Do consider a second hand feline lion. Excellent guitars and superior to any les Paul I've played. 
  • Play lots and pay attention to the weight. Under 4kg if you can
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    kjdowd said:
    Do consider a second hand feline lion. Excellent guitars and superior to any les Paul I've played. 
    This, this, and this.

or maybe a Nik Huber singlecut, or an Eggle.
  • Personally I'd try every one I can find in your budget, new, used, regardless of year, series, whatever, on a strap to see if you're comfortable with the balance, then hit a few chords unplugged.

Eventually one will go BRaaannngg.   Buy that one.  All the other stuff about colour, flame blah blah is just smoke.  A Studio can be more right than an R9. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    clarkefan said:
    Personally I'd try every one I can find in your budget, new, used, regardless of year, series, whatever, on a strap to see if you're comfortable with the balance, then hit a few chords unplugged.

Eventually one will go BRaaannngg.   Buy that one.  All the other stuff about colour, flame blah blah is just smoke.  A Studio can be more right than an R9. 
    Looking good > playing good.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    Jack_ said:
    kjdowd said:
    This, this, and this.
    Or don't be shy about asking for a new one :)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!