Guitar therapy...

What's Hot
NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

...not just playing.

Been having a bit of a shitty time at work recently (manufacturing constraints leading to longer than standard lead times on components.....boring stuff :) ), so decided to take yesterday afternoon off to chill out a bit.

I ended up doing a fret polish on my Vintage (brand) SG, ebay special that I got a couple of months ago, and also lemon oiled the fretboard, stuck a new set of 10-46s on, adjusted the intonation, gave the guitar a good old polish and generally tinkered for a while. I have to say, this stuff is like therapy to me. Really sorted me out!

...then I had to come back to work today.

Poo.

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SeshSesh Frets: 1839
    I find guitar maintenance so tedious when you want to be playing it, but when you have time to potter away without distraction it's a great escape. My main guitar has been safe ( hopefully) in storage for over a month now. I know it's going to need news strings and probably a seasonal truss rod tweak. I'm looking forward to getting it sorted but I know I'll have to give it a severe test, buzzes and all first.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Nikko  I'm with you 100 pct on this. My boss encourages us to use mindfulness techniques to better handle stress (work related or otherwise)

Me , I just pick up a guitar, either play it or fettle it a bit or if I'm particularly stressed play the same piece of music on a few different guitars and mentally compare the sound.

According to my Mrs my heart rate visibly drops when I have a guitar in my hand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cleaning the volume pot on my Strat recently was massively therapeutic....
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    edited November 2017
    To wilfully misquote Peter Green, you can "Blues away the jerks".
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    I enjoy doing that too. and in terms of playing when I play guitar I don't think of anything else so it's rather relaxing.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    you can't beat a bit of introspective knob-polishing
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skippy76 said:
    My wife wants to know if there is therapy available for wives who have to be tortured by the same licks, solos and intros blasted out of the home “music therapy” room.....

I bought my Mrs a nice Martin 00 accoustic a few years back and haven't had a complaint since.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Interesting theory about stress is that it is actually healthy for people who embrace it. It's only bad for people who worry about stress. 

I think there is a good TED Talk on it if you're interested.