Acoustic guitar saddle

What's Hot
A few months back, I was advised that the reason one of my self builds sounds like I'm playing it through a sock is because when I sanded down the saddle blank, the bottom wasn't level. "Even the tiniest bit of air can dampen the sound." As it happens, there was a damn sight more than just a tiny bit of air. Ahem.

Anywho, I've finally got around to doing something about it and bought a new one, ready shaped and compensated. The problem is, it turns out to be too thick for the slot in the bridge. I thought if I sanded it down equally on both sides, I'd get it to fit.

Nope.

What seems to be happening is that the edges are all rounding off, so I'm clearly unable to sand properly. No surprises there, my first go should have made that obvious.

I'm not that fussed about trying to save the replacement saddle, it only cost a fiver including postage.

However, I would still like a replacement saddle that would work.

I've found this chap and his wares -

http://www.chrisalsopguitar.co.uk/shop/custom-made-guitar-saddles-all/Martin-and-Seagull-Guitar-saddles/martin-guitar-bone-saddle-PS015

However, I know nothing about the neck radius or anything like that (I no longer have the original book that came with the kit and the Martin website doesn't say), and I'd quite like one to be low because I like a low action and the nut has already been adjusted for that. How low, though, I have no idea - 8mm, 9mm? I'm tempted to go low because I can always shim it back up if it buzzes, but I prepare to be corrected re that.

Anyway, my apologies for being a thick arse about this, but as I've already measured the original saddle incorrectly, hence getting the first replacement wrong, does anyone have any advice about how I should brief him to provide me with what I want or is it trial and error?
If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    Are you sure your measurements were wrong, could be that the saddle was oversized.  

I tund to thin down on a sanding board, but only push in one direction and flip it round every so often.  I.e push the saddle forward for 4 swipes, flip the back edge to the front and repeat, flip it over so you are sanding the opposite face and repeat again etc...Frantically sanding back and forth is never consistent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    get 2 saddles one low one higher, job done, is there a competent tech in your area, i would imagine its straight forward and inexpenaive job for them.  Get them to show you whilst they do it.  

Also i have a true straight edge, i sit my saddle on it and look to see if there are any chinks of light coming through then adjust according. also i use a true straight edge with sticky sanding paper attached and use that to sand down, paying particular attention to the saddle being straight and sanding aa suggested by the above post
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom