eBay Content: Disingenuity ('USA' Strat)

What's Hot
This.

However, check the feedback (second item down).- seems like it's been sold before? ('93 date)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It does say in the description that it's unlikely to be genuine so as usual in these cases - caveat emptor.
  • It does say in the description that it's unlikely to be genuine so as usual in these cases - caveat emptor.

Indeed.

However, use of terms such as "unlikely" still leaves that tiny amount of possibility that it *might* just be the genuine article - and thus may encourage less sussed punters to bid.

The prior feedback (if this is indeed the same guitar) suggests that this may already be apparent to the seller.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• It's a fair point.  I think there are still some naive people who use ebay and may well think that at some point they are going to unearth a gem that's going to make them their fortune.  Any ambiguous statements definitely play to these types of people, much like the line that goes 'I don't know much about this guitar...'.

In my mind, it's definitely the same guitar, likely originally sold as the genuine article, then returned by the guy who left the neutral feedback.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Blatant fake.

CBS-style neck heel and pocket date stamps indicating the same date? I don't think so! One of them is in the wrong location. Also, not a single QA inspection name or number stamp.

You would have thought that eBay rules forbid the misuse of a registered trade mark in this manner.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30900
    The last time I saw a finish like that it had been applied by Coco the Clown's make up artist.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Gassage said:
    The last time I saw a finish like that it had been applied by Coco the Clown's make up artist.
    It looks like it's still in the same room where they applied the finish as well....
  • "Likely fake". EBay's policy of allowing counterfeit (i.e. illegal) items on their site is shocking. No wonder people are leaving it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    edited November 2017
    Gassage said:
    It looks like it's still in the same room where they applied the finish as well....
    IMO, the body finish is original.

The more that I look at the vendor's photographs of the guitar, the more it resembles a tarted up early Chinese STRAT - from before the label Affinity was applied to them. 

The decal change and rubber stamp malarkey fails to disguise the budget Oriental pickups and fulcrum vibrato. Neither of those would look out of place on a JHS/Encore/Vintage. (Hedges bets in parody of original eBay listing.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72313
    What do you mean, fake? It's as American as the most powerful man in the world!

President Xi Jinping

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Gassage said:
    Who is now working for Donald Trump....
  • Almost fooled me - it looks pretty close though what do you think is off with it? dates on neck pocket and neck and the plastics? anything else? funny how the brain makes you want to believe its the real thing when clearly it isnt! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72313
    Almost fooled me - it looks pretty close though what do you think is off with it? dates on neck pocket and neck and the plastics? anything else?
    Finish
    Cheap bridge with vertical arm socket
    Pickups
    Plastic parts especially knobs and switch cap
    Pickguard and backplate screws
    Jack socket
    String tree
    Machinehead collars
    Strap buttons
    Truss rod adjustment nut
    Stamps in neck pocket and on heel
    Hole right through heel
    Nylon wrap tape for neck shim

All absolutely typical of a cheap Chinese copy. I may have missed a couple more...

That's also a very badly misaligned neckplate - the screw holes are in the wrong places, far too close to the end/side of the neck which is why the neck has cracked - you wouldn't ever see that on a US Custom Shop model.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    ICBM said:
    Almost fooled me - it looks pretty close though what do you think is off with it? dates on neck pocket and neck and the plastics? anything else?
    Finish
    Cheap bridge with vertical arm socket
    Pickups
    Plastic parts especially knobs and switch cap
    Pickguard and backplate screws
    Jack socket
    String tree
    Machinehead collars
    Strap buttons
    Truss rod adjustment nut
    Stamps in neck pocket and on heel
    Hole right through heel
    Nylon wrap tape for neck shim

All absolutely typical of a cheap Chinese copy. I may have missed a couple more...

That's also a very badly misaligned neckplate - the screw holes are in the wrong places, far too close to the end/side of the neck which is why the neck has cracked - you wouldn't ever see that on a US Custom Shop model.
    Other than that, tho.. pretty close huh?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited November 2017
    Interesting use of the words "Hairline Crack" when describing the neck heel.
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    Alnico said:
    Interesting use of the words "Hairline Crack" when describing the neck heel.
    I think he's been smoking hairline crack
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    This.

However, check the feedback (second item down).- seems like it's been sold before? ('93 date)
    I feel sorry for the brother in law who's been playing it happily for 13 years only to suddenly have doubts about what it is.