Modes: Aaaaarrrggghhhh !

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 464
    There are character notes in each mode, you need to be able to hear them, because they're the distinguishing sound of the scale, used to create tension and resolution.  You can create Modal chords from a Mode.

Example: D Dorian has the character note "B".

Dorian Chords can be created by using every 4th note of the Mode, or for the more adventurous every 7th note (reversed 2nds)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • "1st Mode" = The major scale in the key you want
    2nd mode (the Dorian) = The same scale but played from its second note
    3rd mode (the Phrygian) = The same scale but played from its third note
    etc

EG

CDEFGAB = Ionian
    DEFGABC = Dorian
    EFGACBD = Phrygian

You don't have to play them against the same bass note. EG Brick in the Wall is D Dorian. The tune uses notes from D Dorian and is harmonised by chords from the same key

You can if you like try to construct a tune (with its harmonies) in a modal manner (check out Kind of Blue by Miles Davis), or consider folky tunes in the Aeolian mode (Natural minor scale).

Or you can just treat these things as interesting musical constructs, and see how tweaking the Lydian mode by flattening its 4th degree gives you a new major scale starting on the 4th note of the major scale you started with (and thus construct the cycle of 4ths and show how flat keys get their key signatures), or  how tweaking the Mixolydian mode by sharpening its 7th degree gives you a new major scale starting on the 5th note of the major scale you started with (and thus construct the cycle of 5ths and show how sharp keys get their key signatures).

I have just started playing Electric Guitar but dabbled with Bass and Acoustic on and off....i have learnt some basic open and barre chords and a few scales ect....and for ages the modes baffled me but i learnt the C major scale and it's modes as you put it....obviously starting on the root then using same notes but starting at d, e, f, g, a, b...back to c....good explanation by the way 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter