Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

From a guitarists perspective, best budget bass

What's Hot

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I think I'm going to go for the Yamaha BB424, seems like the best value and during the 90's I had a lot of great budget Yamaha gear! 

Next up, which amp!! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    If home recording is the main intended purpose, you might not need an amplifier at all. Simply connect to your computer through a suitable audio/MIDI in/out box and use the bass amplifier modelling plug-ins provided in the recording software.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • timmysoft said:
    I think I'm going to go for the Yamaha BB424
    That sounds like it has a string missing. If you are (like me) a "guitarist who can find his way around an electric bass", then you are probably used to the frets being a bit closer together (and I in particular have small hands). If that is so, you may prefer a 5-string bass because you don't need to play at lower than the 5th position because all the notes you would play at frets 0-4 on the 4th string are at frets 5-9 on the 5th string so you can play in a position where the frets aren't so far apart
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    timmysoft said:
    That sounds like it has a string missing. If you are (like me) a "guitarist who can find his way around an electric bass", then you are probably used to the frets being a bit closer together (and I in particular have small hands). If that is so, you may prefer a 5-string bass because you don't need to play at lower than the 5th position because all the notes you would play at frets 0-4 on the 4th string are at frets 5-9 on the 5th string so you can play in a position where the frets aren't so far apart
    I started out on bass and although I have small hands I'm pretty nimble. I've never really like 5 strings  .Funkfingers said:
    If home recording is the main intended purpose, you might not need an amplifier at all. Simply connect to your computer through a suitable audio/MIDI in/out box and use the bass amplifier modelling plug-ins provided in the recording software.
    I'm not into modelling or plug in tones, I prefer the real thing, I find it much easier to mix and I'd rather use my processing power on compressors and fancy channel strips
    timmysoft said:
    I'm not into modelling or plug in tones, I prefer the real thing, I find it much easier to mix and I'd rather use my processing power on compressors and fancy channel strips
    From a guitarist's perspective, the finely detailed tonal loveliness of your demo/guide bass parts will be of zero interest. ;)
  • From a guitarist's perspective, the finely detailed tonal loveliness of your demo/guide bass parts will be of zero interest. ;)
    tbh I don't think I've ever dialled in a different bass sound for recording. I muck about with the volume pot and leave the bass, treble, and pickup mix pots on their central detents. It's just, er, "bass".
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I don't use an amp for recording. DI all the way.

If I'm feeling posh I will use a DI with Preamp that colours the tone - at the mo flavour of the month is the Ampeg SCR-DI which I really like (but I don't use the scrambler at all) - I've tried a Sansamp and also preamps on the EICH and Markbass. The SCR-DI gives the most pleasing recorded sound.

Having said all that, I also really like recording through the Helix as the bass Preamp models are excellent. 

Most have a headphones out for at home practise and I'm not sure you'd get any real value from an amp at home. To be honest if I thought I could get a really good monitor at every gig I turn up to I'd probably gig with just the Helix or my mini-board with the SCR-DI on it. As it is, this isn't always the case so an amp and cab gives a good monitor. 

Yeah, I probably should get an FRFR for the Helix as well... 

timmysoft said:
    I think I'm going to go for the Yamaha BB424, seems like the best value and during the 90's I had a lot of great budget Yamaha gear! 

Next up, which amp!! 
    Is that the one that PMT have? Note it's a 3 way selector for P and J so you don't get blend - it's either all P all J or all both. Also, the rail J is really hot by the looks of it - presumably to balance with the P. If none of this bothers you tho...
  • Unless you have flexibility or strength issues I don’t think it’s necessary to get a short scale Bass. Most people can adapt to a 34” scale. What can sometimes be more difficult is the width, which can be wider on certain P basses, but even then most can adapt to most 4 strings.

I agree. A shortscale is not required. Go for a regular size.
  • RogerRoger Frets: 20
    Squier Squer and more Squier! - I'll chip in with the Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Special - Black with a black headstock and a short scale neck!

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    edited November 2017
    The bass player in my band sometimes uses an Ampeg DI pedal and it sounds great - might be worth considering over a cheap amp. Love the ampeg tone for bass. That or a sansamp would be the way I'd go.
    TTBZ said:
    The bass player in my band sometimes uses an Ampeg DI pedal and it sounds great - might be worth considering over a cheap amp. Love the ampeg tone for bass. That or a sansamp would be the way I'd go.
    Which one?
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    SCR DI I think. He doesn't use the scrambler bit much though as it seems to thin the sound out too much.
    TTBZ said:
    SCR DI I think. He doesn't use the scrambler bit much though as it seems to thin the sound out too much.
    Yeah. I use one. The Preamp is really good, and yes, the scrambler is a bit weak. I actually prefer the Preamp to the sansamp.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I'm selling a yam rbx on here, it's a cracker for hardly any money  :)
    I had an RBX 370 which I sold for bladders in the end. It was a mighty bass.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    The Yamahas and higher end Squiers have already been mentioned plenty and should do you well but just to add something else to the pot - about a year ago I got a brand new Schecter Diamond J for £299 and it's a very high quality bass. I'd imagine the P version would be of similar quality. Might be hard to find but definitely a potential option.

The build quality is very good (I recently found my receipt and couldn't believe that was how low it cost), it comes with a nice big bridge, Tusq nut and the pickups are very nice sounding.
    thegummy said:
    Schecter Diamond J ... very high quality ... big bridge, Tusq nut and the pickups are very nice sounding.
    Don't tell me. Crafted In Indonesia at the same Cort factory as the Squier VM series, many Ibanez Soundgear basses and a few Yamaha ones. :)
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    thegummy said:
    Schecter Diamond J ... very high quality ... big bridge, Tusq nut and the pickups are very nice sounding.
    Don't tell me. Crafted In Indonesia at the same Cort factory as the Squier VM series, many Ibanez Soundgear basses and a few Yamaha ones. :)
    Nah it's made in South Korea at World Musical Instruments
  • timmysoft said:
    Did you pick one of these up @timmysoft? How is it? Never played a Yamaha bass but they look great and I've never heard anything bad about them! I recently picked up a used Pacifica 012 and that quality really surprised me! 

I'd also throw in another vote for the Squier VM series, all of incredible quality and a great price. I picked up the VM 70s Jazz two years ago and it's the best instrument I've ever had. 

I think they've changed the pick ups since though; the ones on mine are "Duncan Designed" but I think now they say "Fender Designed" on them. Might just be a name change. 
    timmysoft said:
    Did you pick one of these up @timmysoft? How is it? Never played a Yamaha bass but they look great and I've never heard anything bad about them! I recently picked up a used Pacifica 012 and that quality really surprised me! 

I'd also throw in another vote for the Squier VM series, all of incredible quality and a great price. I picked up the VM 70s Jazz two years ago and it's the best instrument I've ever had. 

I think they've changed the pick ups since though; the ones on mine are "Duncan Designed" but I think now they say "Fender Designed" on them. Might just be a name change. 
    I haven't pulled the trigger yet, I'm in no hurry!!