Klone before or after thread

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
I spent a good few hours last night experimenting with placement of my RYRA klone. I've finally concluded that it sounds best before my drives, it seems a lot of users prefer a klon/klone near the end of their chain.

My set up last night was RYRA (both clean boost and gain used) >Boss OD-1 (for light crunch)>Vick Audio Tree of Life OD(for heavier drive)>Boss CE-5>Princeton Reissue

Placed before, my overdriven tone from light all the way through to heavier stuff appears somewhat bigger and smoother, lead tones and octave stuff are exceptional, the RYRA really pushes the CE-5 Chorus in a really nice way too an almost 3D like quality.
With the RYRA placed after it doesn't sound as great, to my ears it sounds brittle or raspy sounding, the octave stuff was starting to break up and disintegrate a little. The same thing seems to happen with previous drives I have owned. Does anyone else prefer a klone before their drives? 
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yes. Before for me too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's good to hear! was beginning to get a tad concerned that it was something to do with my set up? also do you prefer a klone first for the same reasons?
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4526
    Yep, before a Muff sounds awesome
    That's good to hear! was beginning to get a tad concerned that it was something to do with my set up? also do you prefer a klone first for the same reasons?
    I like the way it pushes other drive pedals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • After  trial and error i too settled on klone before:

tumnus>od>dist>timmy 

(timmy is 99.9% always on)

the klone sounds great into the amp on its own or, i can use it to push either the od or dist for a little bit extra when needed. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I’ve currently got mine after the other drives and before distortion:

EP > TS > BB > Klone > OCD

I have the Klone set with around two thirds gain and it sounds creamy and smooth fed with the EP and it pushes the OCD over the edge and tightens it up too. 
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    I have a pedal that has this in it: Comp > Klone (well Kingslayer) > Gate > Boost. That works surprisingly well apart from the noise, hence I dropped a gate in between the clone and the boost to get shot of that.
  • rico said:

I have the Klone set with around two thirds gain and it sounds creamy and smooth fed with the EP and it pushes the OCD over the edge and tightens it up too. 
    rico said:

Love the EP booster!