Yet another Tele and some pickup advice

impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
edited November 2017 in Making & Modding
I know... I know... and especially as I have that gorgeous custom built Alembic guitar in the finishing stages with Andy, yet another Tele partcaster isn't really whats needed right now... but...

I couldn't resist the body - it was such a bargain and I really quite liked the colour. The pic I have makes it look very pink but its closer to an orange in natural light. My wife isn't keen on it though.

I've sourced a pickguard, a bridge and found a control plate buried in a drawer. And I've put a deposit on an Allparts rosewood board neck.

As for pickups, I'm still not sure what I want - I already have a superb 'regular' Tele with my fave late 40s style pickups and the Tablecaster has a fantastic Mojo Broadcaster unit fitted. I've been offered my old Kent Armstrong rails pickup back - its a great unit, but I don't think it'll fit the stuff I play now (quite forward mids making it a great rock/punk unit) but equally, a set of regular Tele pickups is just going to render it the same as my other Teles. So... I'm open to suggestion - the criteria is:

No routing needed
Not rawk orientated
I *DON'T* like Gold Foils (sorry... they don't suit me)
I mainly use big open clean/low gain or full on fuzz.
I hate icepick-alike Tele bridge pickups... but equally I don't want middly/muddly/murky sounds either

Anyway - a picture for your delectation....

https://imgur.com/a/hHbzv

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12348
    I'm also looking at tele pickups, I have a roadworn tele and the tex mex pickups are a bit hot for me.  I was thinking of Nocasters or Bare Knuckle Country Boys.  I've changed pickups from crap to good and been really happy with the results before.  I'm unsure as to whether changing from quite good to slightly better is going to cost me hundreds and go "meh" at the end of it.

I bought a loaded pickguard for a strat project from Axes R Us and was very pleased with the results.  Spoke to the guy who runs it several times about what I wanted to achieve before doing the deal and he was really helpful.  
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    No icepick bridge and no muddy neck?
    Are you reading over my next pickup design notes?
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Alegree said:
    No icepick bridge and no muddy neck?
    Are you reading over my next pickup design notes?
    To be fair, Alex, the last set of Tele pickups you made me were superb - and did sound different to my other Teles. Sadly, I needed the funds to finance the G2, so that guitar went...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Creamery do Tele size P90's.......I like them....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll