Envelope filters- any recommendations?

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1381
having watched tps I have a gas for an envelope filter. I imagine I won't be picking up an analogman one so any recommendations on more readily available ones?
An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My Ibanez AF-9 is excellent and has served me very well ...but, recently, I've been tempted by the SubDecay Prometheus - and again by it's newer DLX version.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • Moog mf101
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    For Bass the Maxon AF-9 works really well, with 6 string I've had mixed results, it's quite fussy about the signal it gets from the pickups but if you can get it working it sounds fantastic - a really throaty envelope sound.

The easiest to use that I've found is the old mxr envelope filter - two knobs and useable sounds right around the dial. If you can find one I highly recommend trying it out.

For an always on type envelope to give your attack some edge the Boss FT-2 Dynamic Filter. I love this pedal and it's the one I always come back to. You can plug in an expression pedal and use it as a standard wah but it really excels as a standalone. It's not a very versatile pedal; you have to set the controls correctly to get it to trip the effect, but once it is set it's an addictive sound.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    edited November 2017
    The best one I had and sometimes miss but it's a kind of pedal one doesn't use that often so sold it. It was the mad professor Snow White. Awesome pedal 

in fact that TPS episode made me think exactly of it. Special pedal that 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    The 3 Leaf Audio Wonderlove is incredible 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16090
    The best one I had and sometimes miss but it's a kind of pedal one doesn't use that often so sold it. It was the mad professor Snow White. Awesome pedal 

in fact that TPS episode made me think exactly of it. Special pedal that 
    agree totally
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Maxon AF-9 is great !
    #thebatesmotelband
  • I use a boss aw2, which is really fun and I think cool sounding, but it's not a completely typical sound. It has its own thing going on. 

I also liked the dod fx25. I think that's it - funky green box, very popular with bassists and guitarists. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    I use a boss aw2, which is really fun and I think cool sounding, but it's not a completely typical sound. It has its own thing going on. 

I also liked the dod fx25. I think that's it - funky green box, very popular with bassists and guitarists. 
    I liked the AW-2 a lot, especially the ability to mix envelope following with LFO, which is very unusual among pedal filters - but it has a bad problem with hum pickup if it's anywhere near the power supply.

The FX-25 (the original 2-knob one, the 3-knob isn't as good) is probably my favourite-sounding plain envelope filter - it's really aggressive and powerful-sounding, but it's *very* touchy to set up, basically it only has one good setting with any given guitar - but when you find it, it's great.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    70s MXR Envelope Filter. Sadly, you have to find a good one (40 yr old pedal) but it's 'that sound' that you find on Edie Brickell's "What I want".
    The Guyatone Wah Rocker is pretty good and the MP Snow White.

I just find a lot of EFs or auto wahs today are thin-sounding and more phasery wah than quacky wah
  • Kebabkid said:
    70s MXR Envelope Filter. Sadly, you have to find a good one (40 yr old pedal) but it's 'that sound' that you find on Edie Brickell's "What I want".

I just find a lot of EFs or auto wahs today are thin-sounding and more phasery wah than quacky wah
    It was the Snow White I bought was especially for that Eric brickell's song. Nailed it perfectly :)
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    Another +1 here for the MP Snow White. 
  • Maxx77Maxx77 Frets: 20
    the new Analogman?
    Kebabkid said:

It was the Snow White I bought was especially for that Eric brickell's song. Nailed it perfectly :)
    Excellent - that song is my benchmark for a good EF pedal. I'd also add Odyssey's "Going back to my Roots", too, but that's with a little gain and also trying to nail "Haitian Divorce", which I know was a voice box, but it can be done.
  • ICBM said:
    I use a boss aw2, which is really fun and I think cool sounding, but it's not a completely typical sound. It has its own thing going on. 

I liked the AW-2 a lot, especially the ability to mix envelope following with LFO, which is very unusual among pedal filters - but it has a bad problem with hum pickup if it's anywhere near the power supply.

The FX-25 (the original 2-knob one, the 3-knob isn't as good) is probably my favourite-sounding plain envelope filter - it's really aggressive and powerful-sounding, but it's *very* touchy to set up, basically it only has one good setting with any given guitar - but when you find it, it's great.

Yes! It's so much fun. Sounds great too. 

The dod is a pain to set up, but it's pretty set and forget. 
    This is what I'm talking about with regard to the MXR but Analogman has made a pedal based on it

- Go to 26 mins - now when he flicks the switch, that's the sound I don't like that's similar to some of the latter-day EFs & Auto-Wahs but the original sound is good.

• I don't know the history of this auto wah pedal. Is it an MxR design or analogman's ?
  • Boss DD500 does a GREAT filter, oh and its a brilliant delay :lol: 

https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • Mutron of Jerry Garcia and Zappa fame. Can be had very similarly in old EHX Big Box Q-Tron. Don't spread the word....
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I had a 3Leaf Proton until recently, superb pedal but as @hotpickups says, it's not a sound one uses much (at least, I didn't) so it got moved on. Highly recommended if that's the sound you want though.