I'm having a Major Satriani binge.

axisusaxisus Frets: 28333

On a whim I dug out Satriani's Live in San francisco CD to play on my commuting. Wow, I'd forgotten what an amazing kick-ass record that is. High octane playing, fluid melodic soloing and just very entertaining.

I was a massive Satch fan early on. I bought his first album when it came out after reading a tiny review in SOUNDS paper, and was hooked big time. I'd say that he was my favourite guitar player for some years. I saw him live many times, and was really into that style for a long time. The high point for me was Engines of Creation, and also Crystal Planet, but after that my interest waned. I bought the next three albums but didn't engage with them at all then lost interest.

Anyway, after the live album was so exciting I went back and have been playing the CDs that I didn't get into before, and I really like them now. I need to catch up with all his later releases! I just bought CDs of the first 5 albums (my copies were vinyl). It's funny to see him with hair again. I think that the new identity was a career masterstroke, he suddenly looked iconic rather than just an old hippy. It must bee strange playing with sunglasses on though?? I would think that it would make things more difficult?

Pretty amazing to think that his SIXTEENTH album is coming out in the new year, that is a hell of a long time to sustain a basically instrumental career. I think that it must be an absolute blast playing that material live as well.

Any other fans?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm a big fan, I didn't really get into him until Super Colossal came out (so only 11 years ago!). I actually prefer his recent stuff, I find the production/guitar tones on Surfing with the Alien quite hard to listen to! Recent stuff is more tasteful IMO, for want of a better word. I think Shockwave Supernova is a great album.

I have only listened to Engines of Creation properly recently, I quite like it. I'm a bit more relaxed about allowing "electronic music" into my ears recently, must be getting soft in my old age!

I need to see him live if he tours the new album over here. My mate (who is not a guitarist) went to see him with Paul Gilbert supporting, and he said Satriani blew Gilbert away with his fluidity and the show in general.

And yeah, playing in sunglasses? I play instrumental music in my band and can't imagine doing it in sunglasses... I had those pupil-dilating drops in my eyes a couple of weeks ago and nearly had to wear sunglasses for an indoor gig, I managed without them fortunately!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • I've not followed the new stuff but The Extremist was my favourite, great melodic playing and a full band sound.