Smart Chip in the guitar to switch from acoustic amp to electric amp

What's Hot
Let's say I have the guitar

So, how to use the smart chip?
Do I buy a 'splitter' (whatever this is) and plug my guitar into it, and have it plugged into an electric amp and an acoustic amp?

I have the smart chip in this guitar and a Fishman PowerBridge.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Yes, you buy a stereo splitter cable (or box - a stereo cable and a box with two mono jacks, which is usually better as it's easier to fit a ground lift, which you may need) and connect the outputs to your electric guitar amp and an acoustic amp or DI box to the PA.

The clever bit is that it can sense whether you've got that connected to it, or a normal mono cable in which case it mixes the two signals together.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited November 2017
    I'm still confused. @ICBM ;;;;
    Could you please explain that to me in products and pictures?
    Just so I can get a visual of what box to shop for and stuff.

?
    Will this be feeding both amps from a box that my smart chip will control?
    And if so, what's the box? (like, make/model/ that'll talk to this Smart Chip and enable the switch from the guitar)?
    So 2 mono leads for the 2 amps from this thing out of a box that the guitar is plugged into with a stereo lead?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2017
    I guess I'd need an acoustic amp (I already have electric guitar amps)...
    2 x mono leads.
    1 x stereo lead
    and a splitter of sorts.
    I guess I'd need an acoustic amp (I already have electric guitar amps)...
    2 x mono leads.
    1 x stereo lead
    and a splitter of sorts.
    Yes. Not that splitter above which is a simple parallel mono splitter.

Those cables plus a splitter box - one stereo input jack, two mono output jacks - is the best solution. Someone like Bright Onion will do one (with or without ground lift), I'm sure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

edited November 2017
    Can I be honest... @ICBM ;;
    I'm a little bit confused... 'still'.. (sorry)...
    DI box fine for acoustic guitar amp and electric guitar amp? or, was that for like for a mixing board?

What DI boxes can I get to kill two birds with one stone and have an awesome rig with microphone, PA box and amps?
    Guitar > stereo cable > splitter box.

Output 1 > electric guitar amp.

Output 2 > acoustic guitar amp, or DI box to PA.

Any DI box is fine, it's just to give a clean signal to the PA and avoid potential ground loop issues.

If you're using an acoustic guitar amp you can also connect that to the PA via its own DI output, or mic the amp. Mic the electric guitar amp as normal.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom