Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD: relic goldtop content

What's Hot
WezVWezV Frets: 16646
I know many of you will have seen this in making and modding, but for those that don't go down there....

Its 99% finished, just needs a truss rod cover

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/108084/les-paul-prototype-build/p1

The idea was to make a Les Paul like Les Paul and Mary Ford actually played in the early 50's.  not a production 52 with incorrect neck angle, and definitely not a burst.  I strayed a bit along the way, but I think I got pretty close

0reaction image LOL 27reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Most truest historic.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    tFB Trader
    you are going to have to update me with info on those pick ups - overall looks cool and obviously some man hours gone into it - what is the fingerboard

slightly off topic - but just seen my dad - and old friend of his and an old stalwart of Burton died last week - Norman Willey - don't know if it was before your time - owned Norman's in BOT a number of years ago and a drummer for many many years in BOT
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    Utterly brilliant
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16646
    you are going to have to update me with info on those pick ups - overall looks cool and obviously some man hours gone into it - what is the fingerboard

slightly off topic - but just seen my dad - and old friend of his and an old stalwart of Burton died last week - Norman Willey - don't know if it was before your time - owned Norman's in BOT a number of years ago and a drummer for many many years in BOT

I started with the idea of fitting a dynasonic under a P-90 cover just like Les did.  @Mojopickups  ;made the dynasonic coil, i made the cover.  From there it seems to make sense to go with a similar kind of thing for the bridge so I asked marc to wind a P-90 sized slug pole style pickup to match the neck unit. 

The fingerboard is indian rosewood... not tinted or anything, just a nice dark piece.  Body is 1-piece african mahogany topped with a flamed sycamore top that looked stunning - but the plan was always gold and it seemed to fit the 50's ethic to cover some nicely figured wood ;)

I remember Norman's shop, not the man himself.   I went in there for a Violin bow not long after buying my first les paul from Pete's
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27427
    WezV said:

topped with a flamed sycamore top that looked stunning
    You can still see a small piece of that.
    :D

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Most truest historic.
    and yet not.... with a 3-piece neck, full width long tenon and shaped heel its definitely not from the gibson stable.
    WezV said:
    Most truest historic.
    and yet not.... with a 3-piece neck, full width long tenon and shaped heel its definitely not from the gibson stable.
    I guess I was being a bit tongue in cheek - in as much as I'd much rather have one of yours than a "truer than a truly true historic" from Gibson. 

Yours has has captured the spirit of it. Gibson are trying too hard and just end up being too much like fakes. 

Now. Make me an early 60s Thunderbird. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    Most truest historic.
    I guess I was being a bit tongue in cheek - in as much as I'd much rather have one of yours than a "truer than a truly true historic" from Gibson. 

Yours has has captured the spirit of it. Gibson are trying too hard and just end up being too much like fakes. 

I get it, i just realised i didn't show the back or headstock in this pic so people might think i have gone down the total replica route.... that doesn't interest me as much.

Next build will be the fanned fret firebird....not sure i ever want to make a thunderbird.  I like them, but they are a quirky beast

WezV said:
    WezV said:
    Most truest historic.

I get it, i just realised i didn't show the back or headstock in this pic so people might think i have gone down the total replica route.... that doesn't interest me as much.

Next build will be the fanned fret firebird....not sure i ever want to make a thunderbird.  I like them, but they are a quirky beast

I'd like to see you do a bass build tho ;) 

You could do the legendary slab Precision... or maybe a wacky Gibson EB1
  • that looks fantastic...!! nice job :)
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    WezV said:
    WezV said:
    Most truest historic.

I'd like to see you do a bass build tho ;) 

You could do the legendary slab Precision... or maybe a wacky Gibson EB1
    well i am refinishing my version of a P-bass currently.... mixed with a bit of teisco spectrum

and this is as close as i have got to an EB bass - but with a proper bass scale length and a lack of frets.

Yeah. Those basses are lovely too.
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Goodgriefholymolywow. 

ellwood said:
    Goodgriefholymolywow. 

I’ll take that :)
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:

I started with the idea of fitting a dynasonic under a P-90 cover just like Les did.  @Mojopickups  ;made the dynasonic coil, i made the cover.  From there it seems to make sense to go with a similar kind of thing for the bridge so I asked marc to wind a P-90 sized slug pole style pickup to match the neck unit. 

The fingerboard is indian rosewood... not tinted or anything, just a nice dark piece.  Body is 1-piece african mahogany topped with a flamed sycamore top that looked stunning - but the plan was always gold and it seemed to fit the 50's ethic to cover some nicely figured wood ;)

I thought there was some Dynasonic idea in there - looks mighty fine - I hope it plays and sounds as good as it looks - Give Henry a call you might find some work there
    It plays well, still in the settling in period at the moment but it’s pretty close to where it needs to be.

sounds a difficult one, partly because I have had an ear infection since September.  It’s obviously brighter than a normal Les Paul, but still has the girth you would expect.  Sustain is still very good, which was a concern with the tailpiece
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3614
    Fantastic Wez.

It must be wonderful to have such skill. 
    tFB Trader
    Neil said:
    Fantastic Wez.

It must be wonderful to have such skill. 
    I agree - If I say I'm jealous I mean that as a compliment
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31501
    Not just highly skilled, a man of taste too, subjective as that is. 
    :)

It's funny how I always wanted a Les Paul for the conventional sonic reasons, but owning one sparked an interest in the man himself, so I also ended up with a goldtop with unconventionally bright single coils.

I even had a trapeze tailpiece on it for a while and I agree with @WezV , it still sounds like a Les Paul. 

LPs are much underrated and dismissed as one trick guitars, but their construction gives them a unique voice no matter what hardware is fitted. 

Top guitar Wez, absolutely stunning. 

part of it came from not wanting to build something you can already get off the shelf.    I don't get as much time for guitar building as I would like so I am not going to spend it making stuff that is freely available elsewhere. I know I should say my guitars are infinitely better than all the others out there, but I don't go in for that kind of BS. 

Choosing to do it differently also gives a lot of freedom... it means I don't have to focus on every detail being an exact replica.  Often the accuracy of the replica become more important than the guitar itself.