Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD: relic goldtop content

What's Hot

Comments

• TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    Spectacular Wez
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    WezV said:
    WezV said:
    Most truest historic.
    and yet not.... with a 3-piece neck, full width long tenon and shaped heel its definitely not from the gibson stable.
    I guess I was being a bit tongue in cheek - in as much as I'd much rather have one of yours than a "truer than a truly true historic" from Gibson. 

Yours has has captured the spirit of it. Gibson are trying too hard and just end up being too much like fakes. 

Now. Make me an early 60s Thunderbird. :)
    I get it, i just realised i didn't show the back or headstock in this pic so people might think i have gone down the total replica route.... that doesn't interest me as much.

Next build will be the fanned fret firebird....not sure i ever want to make a thunderbird.  I like them, but they are a quirky beast

I'd like to see you do a bass build tho ;) 

You could do the legendary slab Precision... or maybe a wacky Gibson EB1
    Sign me up for the EB-1. Lusted after one for years.
  • I'm not usually a fan of reliced guitars - but that's an awesome job, Wez. Wonderful skills.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    JezWynd said:
    Dunno what it is about them... The painted on f-holes? The funny pull out upright rest? The fact that it's clearly mad? Either way, I'd def. make room for one..

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    JezWynd said:

Never say never, but I have no interest in short scale bases.  I just don't think they work that well.  Sure, some have had success with the compromises, but to me its a flawed instrument at heart.
    WezV said:
    JezWynd said:

Never say never, but I have no interest in short scale bases.  I just don't think they work that well.  Sure, some have had success with the compromises, but to me its a flawed instrument at heart.
    What do we want? A 34" scale EB1!!
    When do we want it? When @WezV has time!

:D
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    oh. and if I was doing a bass with "f-holes" it would have to be based on an ampeg scroll
    WezV said:
    oh. and if I was doing a bass with "f-holes" it would have to be based on an ampeg scroll
    I'm gonna have a serious bottom lip wobble and full on mardy strop if you make either: an Ampeg Scroll, or a Travis Bean-a-like
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    That looks absolutely fabulous, right up there in my favourite couple of guitars I've ever seen on the forum!!

Must check out the build thread ....
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7024
    edited November 2017 tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    What do we want? A 34" scale EB1!!
    When do we want it? When @WezV has time!
    Gibson made a 34" scale EB0L in the 70s so an EB1L wouldn't be entirely wrong, would it?
    SteveRobinson said:

in the 70s.
    I was getting really excited til I read that bit... ;)
    SteveRobinson said:

in the 70s.
    I was getting really excited til I read that bit... ;)
    i was going to defend the design of 70's Gibsons as most of the choices make sense and can be made to work well (pancakes, volutes, laminate necks etc..)

Then I google the EB0L.... possible the cheapest looking Gibson ever.  They managed to make it look exactly like a cheap Japanese copy

@WezV - and it's absolutely totally different to the original 50's EB0 crackpot-machine
    @WezV - and it's absolutely totally different to the original 50's EB0 crackpot-machine
    oh, i know.   I still think the junior style works better than any of the regular EB styles.  it balanced better than i expected too, even with a proper scale length
    WezV said:
    oh, i know.   I still think the junior style works better than any of the regular EB styles.  it balanced better than i expected too, even with a proper scale length
    There's part of me that really wants to love a Gibson bass of some sort or other.

They look cool, they sound pretty good (if a bit limited in application) and the whole idea of them appeals.

But the truth is, in reality, there's something about every single one which is just impractical when gigging and I just end up thinking "Fender did that better.."
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14218
    edited November 2017 tFB Trader
    @WezV ;;  check out the latest copy of Guitar and bass with a free 2018 calendar - front page and it shows an LP that looks so similar to yours
  • Great skill Wez.

But what does it weigh?!  ;)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    Great skill Wez.

But what does it weigh?!  ;)
    7lb 11 1/2oz.   ;)
    edited November 2017
    @WezV ;;;  check out the latest copy of Guitar and bass with a free 2018 calendar - front page and it shows an LP that looks so similar to yours

Just seen it, they have detailed pics of that guitar in the Dream Machines magazine.  It was this pic that convinced me I needed to age my goldtop build

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14218
    tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^  - glad you found it