Price Drop: Dr Z EZG 50 (Blonde Tolex, 50 watt, UK Voltage) Now £1099 (trades added!)

jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 191
edited November 20 in Amps £
So, I got this as part of a recent deal - was after the 2x10 and the seller was unwilling to split - I was well up for trying it out and, for what it does, it's the bees knees, but just not my normal style and is a serious bit of kit to have knocking around at home instead of in the hands of someone who'll use it. That said, I've been using it as a pedal platform and there's something obscenely pretty about everything it does - it takes pedals like no 'blackface' style amp I've every used and the reverb is incredible.

Had a bit of an issue with fuses/hum at higher volumes but this has since been sorted - see the thread over in the AMPS section - really easy fix with some grounding and once you follow the doc's/ICBM's guidance on using the standby switch its not an issue any longer. Had it up loud for a couple of practices and hasn't flinched. In very clean physical condition indeed and would go beautifully with the 2x10 Z cab also for sale somewhere on here.

I've also since spent £70 on new preamp and rectifier tubes from Watford Valves (Mullard NOS 12AT7s, Tung Sol RI 12AX7s, JJ GZ34) and the power section had a new matched set of Groove Tubes 6L6GCs put in there very recently and biased/checked over by Roland Lumby at The Amp Clinic (got the service note too which will be included - he added a 'star ground' point inside the amp). I'll also include the working 12AX7, 12AT7 and rectifier I took out, plus power cable and padded cover.

Noise is very low (unless you crank the reverb) and there is obscene amounts of tight, thick clean headroom. I guess this is where I don't gel with it - blackface-type amps just don't work for me, no matter how many of my heroes use them, though with the tight bass, full mids and smooth treble this got a lot closer to convincing me than anything else I've tried, and I've owned/gigged a superb MJW Electra Twang (passed on to my cousin) and a Super Reverb RI in my time - two very fine examples, but this is something a bit different, almost like it has a bit of blackface bassman in there too.

I'm still going back and forth with it but if someone is keen then I'm likely to cave. I'm in Manchester but willing to travel for the right deal. Given a new one is £2k from Peach, with extra valves and cover I'll say £1150. Any questions please let me know. 

(don't worry, the back panel has all screws and washers, just put it in place for photos!!)

https://image.ibb.co/ke3RDG/IMG_3820.jpg
https://image.ibb.co/ggdttG/IMG_3822.jpg
https://image.ibb.co/f0VTSb/IMG_3821.jpg
https://image.ibb.co/kSuoSb/IMG_3823.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• I have one of these and its  bloody awesome.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • eastwoodeastwood Frets: 26
    PM’d
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 191
    Open to offers on this, maybe even trades for something low powered with money my way...
    Black Friday Week Sale - £1099 and willing to deliver...
    Bump!!
    edited November 20
    Thought I’d add some potential trades as I get that it’s a lot of cash to hand over!

- Simple Valve amps - in particular Dr Z, MJW or Rift Amps. Heads, 2x10 or 1x12 combos, lower powered preferred but needs to be ‘giggable’ so 10-30 watts I guess. Z28 in particular might clinch it but something else ‘brownface’ would also be cool. An amp having bias tremolo is a major plus for me too. 

- Audio Kitchen Big Trees, though there aren’t many about!

- Yamaha THR100 - considering getting one new as the price has come down to £350 for the single channel version new. That might mean there’s something new on the NAMM horizon though!

- Guitar-wise, perhaps some sort of SG, although another guitar will be a hard sell for the Mrs! Always got a soft spot for offsets too but probs not a Squire. 

- overdrive or distortion pedals, I prefer them open and raw than smooth and compressed! The Xotic RC Booster in particular has caught my eye.