SLF me...ska and punk fest attended

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
edited May 2018 in Music
... just reminded of this by @Rigid_Digits on another Discussion. I'm guessing he may have the answers here ...

Anyway, I have my tickets for The Beat+The Selecter+The Buzzcocks+Stiff Little Fingers at the NEC. next May. The first two bands I know their stuff well, indeed should they have sickly guitarists on the day I'm sure I could dep. The Buzzcocks I have some familiarity with.
But Stiff Little Fingers apart from knowing the name I don't really know at all. So what are the must listen tracks so I can recognise something on the day? Ta smile 
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    Start with Inflammable Material.  

And then Inflammable Material.

Finish off the Inflammable Material

@JohnnyUrq is a big fan, IIRC.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2533
    For a broader look at their material, the double CD 'All the Best' is a worthwhile buy.
  • rprrpr Frets: 308
    Thought the singles suffered from kinda weedy production IIRC...Try ˙Hanx˙ - Lve album from 1980ish...makes a good hits compilation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTony said:
    Start with Inflammable Material.  

And then Inflammable Material.

Finish off the Inflammable Material

@JohnnyUrq is a big fan, IIRC.
    This.

I also like in particular:
    nobodys heroes
    gotta getaway
    bits of kids
    wont be told
    kicking up a racket

• vizviz Frets: 10644
    Yes. Get All The Best and listen to the first record 100 times. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Cheers all ! 

I got massively into The Ruts earlier this year having known the name for decades but not the music so I’m looking forward to this :smile: 
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    You're going to love it. They are brilliant live, their songs are as relevant as they were 40 years ago, and what's more, you'll be able to hear it properly because they seem to have a really pure sound live. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    Saw em last year and even with man flu still managed a little pogo. They're really tight. Excellent band still going strong.
    All of the above on the recs.
  • I've been a fan right from the start, so definitely Inflammable Material, but I was also pleasantly surprised by their recent (2014) album 'No Going Back',  which was crowd funded, and to my ears turned out really well and is a good listen. They are still going strong and playing live and have just announced the details of their next UK tour.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited December 2017
    One of the first bands I ever saw live at a tender age and love them, seen them almost as many times as my ultimate fave band The Stranglers.  They have even played my home town a few times since the very early 80s.

Jake is mutton  these days (a very good friend works FOH at our local ironworks) but still a great watch. Still got a lot of energy and play their back catalogue really well, tight too.

As most have said Inflammable material is sheer class and the only place to really start.

Cannot disagree with @redrighthand ;; and his recommendations and All the Best is a great call from @viz.

Met them after a few gigs over the years since about 78 and always good craic, gracious to fans and decent blokes to boot.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited November 2017
    As @rpr says - Get their live album “Hanx”. It's all you need. Much better versions of the songs than the studio ones and Jake Burns SG2000 sounds fantatstic through his solid state Marshall Master Lead combo.

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    (sus, sus, sus, sus, sus, sus, sus) Suspect Device....... do they still do that one?

(Does Bruce Foxton still play with them?)

I had a mutual acquaintance of Jake's back in the 70's and he does seem to be a contender for the Nicest Man In Rock award.
  • Neill said:
    (sus, sus, sus, sus, sus, sus, sus) Suspect Device....... do they still do that one?

(Does Bruce Foxton still play with them?)

I had a mutual acquaintance of Jake's back in the 70's and he does seem to be a contender for the Nicest Man In Rock award.

I've been watching some relatively recent stuff on YouTube band no Bruce Foxton. Jake Burns looks alarmingly like Johnny Vegas' big brother. 

At the moment I can shout in the right bits on Barbed Wire Love and Alternative Ulster. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    edited November 2017
    Bruce Foxton has been with From the Jam for a good few years now.
    Flags and emblems (with Foxton) is a great album too. 

Jake's a brilliant front man and just goes to prove you can rock with a belly. He's quite frank about his depression on stage and I found his talks touching in between the pogo fest last time I saw them.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Just back from Lakeside, rather grand name for a fenced off car park with a stage set up at one end. Not a great venue, I don’t think I’ll bother again.

Anyway, got there early enough to wander around Resorts World ( just across the road) first so us, the middle class moms and the early arrived ageing punks could have a look in the Denby shop and GAP outlet.

First up The Buzzcocks. If you weren’t looking at the old men on stage you’d imagine the sound was created by some fresh faced teenagers experimenting with their first chords. Which is either a neat trick to pull off after forty years or a bit crap. Telecaster and Gordon Smith GS1 ( I think) on show. About half way through we went to buy chips.

The Selecter, I’m not sure this was quite top of their game but nonetheless much more my thing. They had one of these (?):

https://i.imgur.com/JFDsxBZ.jpg

Stiff Little Fingers. Despite starting this Discussion months ago I’m still not very familiar with their output. However, seemed a good demonstration that a tight  band, good audience rapport and an unexpected but appropriate cover ( The Specials Doesn’t Make it Alright) can make up for a lack of familiarity. Thought I might need to go for more chips but really enjoyed them. 

The Beat. Again very tight, eight people on stage demonstrating how to work together. Their unexpected cover was Rock the Casbah. 

Long tiring day; seated indoor venue next time I think! 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    Teisco Spectrum.

Back Catalog Memories TEISCO Spectrum 5 Plexi Guitar

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    blobb said:
    Teisco Spectrum.

Back Catalog Memories TEISCO Spectrum 5 Plexi Guitar

Ahh :smile: 
  • pauladspaulads Frets: 494
    I'd go for "Hanx" too...though I really like lots off their "go for it" and "now then" albums...I always thought that "Hanx" sums them up brilliantly.