AxeFX failed during a firmware update

What's Hot
RolandRoland Frets: 8590
This is the type of thing which you think only happens to other people. It's a good reason for not updating just before a gig. G66 say they can ship me a new eprom by the end of the week, so I should be up and running for Monday's rehearsal.
Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Ah bummer.  Are you on one of the early versions?  I think the later XL/XL+ can be pulled out of this state internally.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    I always make sure theres no footswitches controller or midi connections plugged in before I update. That seems to be a common cause for firmware update issues. Thankfully haven't had one yet.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    majorly sux
    play every note as if it were your first
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Bah humbug analogue Leo Fender valves hand wired Hartley Peavey Bandit discrete transistor Boss pedals and you would have none of this nonsense!!!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Bah humbug analogue Leo Fender valves hand wired Hartley Peavey Bandit discrete transistor Boss pedals and you would have none of this nonsense!!!
    Yeah but you’d also have significantly more money to work out how to spend instead, GASing can be very time consuming lol
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    ICBM said:
    I also have a 50w valve combo. It has been played less over the last 10years, but given me many more problems: pre and power amp valve failures, valves base burnout, cracked FX loop socket; and don’t talk to me about the noise floor.

Anyway, Sussi at G66 is sending me a replacement eprom.
    Roland said:

I also have a 50w valve combo. It has been played less over the last 10years, but given me many more problems: pre and power amp valve failures, valves base burnout, cracked FX loop socket; and don’t talk to me about the noise floor.
    Ha, I know! I make my living repairing analogue gear :). I don't do digital unless it's something extremely simple.

I'm also the happy owner of a Boss SE-70 multi-FX (from new - it's worked perfectly for over 25 years despite never having the memory backup battery changed as it should have been!), a ME-50 (which I like not least because it's less noisy than my analogue pedals) and a Vox modelling amp.

It was just that 'EPROM failure during firmware update' sounded a bit un-rock'n'roll ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Another nail in the coffin of digital gear.
    Computers have had their day.
    There's no future in digital technology.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    *smirk*
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ro_S said:
    *smirk*
    This is the first time it’s failed in eight years, and it did so at a time and place where I could do something about it. Whereas the valve combo failures, were at much less convenient times.
  • Roland said:
    Ro_S said:
    *smirk*
    This is the first time it’s failed in eight years, and it did so at a time and place where I could do something about it. Whereas the valve combo failures, were at much less convenient times.
    Yep and from what I see G66 helped you out pretty quickly.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I never update stuff. If it works I don't like to touch operating systems etc. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Roland said:

Yep and from what I see G66 helped you out pretty quickly.
    Yes, great service. Although the problem is what happens if the parts are no longer available if something like this happens in the future.

This is not unique to modern digital gear - many years ago I had to write off an expensive multitrack cassette machine because a control chip had failed and the company didn't have spares, only about five years after the unit was made…

• It’s definitely a valid concern.

Ultimately nothing is guaranteed forever but so far G66/Fractal seem to have a good record of supporting fairly long term. 

At the end of the day if you need the digital gear it’s likely because it does stuff the analogue gear doesn’t, and this is just one of the potential trade offs.
  • It's one of the things that put me off Fractal - the sheer quantity of updates and all that burning to eprom... Every time I do helix, it's an anxious wait to see what happens on reboot. Much as I love getting the updates, a large part of me would be more comfortable with the product being sold in final form, with perhaps one or 2 bug fixes - even more so as the warranties are so short.
  • It's one of the things that put me off Fractal - the sheer quantity of updates and all that burning to eprom... Every time I do helix, it's an anxious wait to see what happens on reboot. Much as I love getting the updates, a large part of me would be more comfortable with the product being sold in final form, with perhaps one or 2 bug fixes - even more so as the warranties are so short.

Sheer quantity isn't a thing anymore.  The rate of updates has slowed significantly in the past year or so.  Q8 was April and 9 wasn't until the end of October.

The final form is a weird one with digital.  Realistically you can just not update if you don't have any issues, but the way things have gone customers expect continual updates (and it is possible to update over usb etc).  Personally I only update when I want new models of things, as there's no other way to get them.
    @Clarky has said that he only updates in gaps between tours and recording. My policy has always been to update only if there’s a feature that I want. Even then I won’t update until the software release has been available for two or three weeks and shown to be stable.

I often skip a few releases. Earlier this month I went to Q9 because the new speaker compression algorithm affects the way I play. It was while taking a point upgrade to 9.02 that the problem occurred.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Roland said:
    @Clarky has said that he only updates in gaps between tours and recording. My policy has always been to update only if there’s a feature that I want. Even then I won’t update until the software release has been available for two or three weeks and shown to be stable.

I often skip a few releases. Earlier this month I went to Q9 because the new speaker compression algorithm affects the way I play. It was while taking a point upgrade to 9.02 that the problem occurred.
    I'm similar with my Kemper.  I've skipped several updates.  I don't think I'm on the latest version now.  It works.  I'm happy.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Roland said:

this is true... I only upgrade between jobs so my tone is consistent..
    Chris had an EPROM die a while back during an upgrade I think
    play every note as if it were your first