TC G-System

What's Hot
timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
Opinions! 

Is the switching fast? I know it's quite an old design now, but it seems to tick a heap of boxes for me and my needs
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmysoft said:
    Opinions! 

Is the switching fast? I know it's quite an old design now, but it seems to tick a heap of boxes for me and my needs
    Honestly? Don't do it to yourself.

if you want something that does everything the G System can do with none of the headaches then get a Helix 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1812
    I had one, as far as I can remember the switching was fine - great unit IMO
  • welshboyo said:
    I had one, as far as I can remember the switching was fine - great unit IMO
    Yeah the switching was fine and it sounded pretty good once setup right but it had some fatal flaws. 

Firstly, the guitar input was rubbish. So much so that until they updated it after several years of production most users were having to buy an external buffer to use before their G Systems. 

Next is the complete misery of having to set your gain levels correctly. This is much trickier than it sounds.

Although built to survive nuclear attack the unit was overly heavy. 

Oh, and if you do decide to get one be sure to read this as the manual was ABSOLUTE CACK

http://www.guitaraffair.com/pdfs/g-system-configuration-and-troubleshooting-guide.pdf

Or get a Helix or FX8 cause it's 2017 ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Big, heavy, unnecessarily complicated and a right pain in the arse to set up would be my overall summary. It’s capable of some good sounds though, and if you do get one be sure to seek out ‘Llaird’s White Paper’ which is the manual TC should have written.
    My G went wrong mid gig and left me in a right pickle one night... I wouldn’t have another.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    It did sound good and I still have mine, but it is made of a sheet of bent steel and the drives were a bit insipid

;)
  • vizviz Frets: 10682
    It's fine if you just use the loop functions (verb, delay, chorus, etc) and sounds absolutely lovely. If you want 4cm it gets complicated and noisy too. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    It's either the G-system or the Boss MS-3

• Cabicular said:
    It did sound good and I still have mine, but it is made of a sheet of bent steel and the drives were a bit insipid

;)

Didn't think there were any drives on the G-System.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Cabicular said:

;)

Didn't think there were any drives on the G-System.
    Hence the wink ;)
  • Yes,i'd check Laird's white paper,and that your amp's fx loop is suitable, before getting a G.
    I picked up one recently 2nd hand which has the modified buffer, and have had no noise problems with it at all using the 4cm..

Didn't find it at all complicated, as there really isn't too much about it to make it that way.

I wouldn't buy a new one at near £800, instead a vgc iB modified at half price or less  is a really good buy, and the effects do sound very nice, even for what is now a 10+yr old unit.

There are no drives on the G-System :-)

• Used FX8 or Helix LT is the way to go. Or maybe a Boss GT-100 as a wild card
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • my old bandmate had one, and it was super noisy. He tried a million different things trying to get it to place nicely with his amp, total pain in the arse.