Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I get the impression FX are far too important for many one here...

What's Hot

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This way of thinking really bothers me. I don't see what difference it makes whether people use lots of FX or not. 
    I personally am a huge fan of a really simple board, tuner, fuzz, od, delay.. This setup works perfectly for what I enjoy playing. Huge fuzzed out punk, grunge, hardcore, metal whatever you want to call it. 
    I see people like @GavRichList as has been mentioned multiple times now, with a big FX heavy board and it's incredible. I love Rich List's album and Gavs use of effects on it is amazing. I dunno if I could get my head around such a big board at this point, but maybe in the future I will, I would love to get some more pedals and experiment more for sure. 
    I dunno where I'm really going with this but whatever. If you like a simple clean, dirty setup, great, enjoy it. If you like a huge smorgasbord of sounds at your feet, great enjoy it. 
    Just play music and have fun. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think anything that inspires people to play music is always a good thing and a new FX pedal can often inspire a new song or new musical composition.

I personally used to feel people who play covers and don't write their own music/material are lazy and only play for money (Which is obviously fine and my brother plays in 2 covers bands for extra cash and a laugh) but i now fully understand that everyone is unique and pursues there own musical goals for themselves and there is no right or wrong way to approach the guitar, bands and kit, just enjoy, have fun and create. 

Maybe treat yourself to an fx pedal @siraxeman, you might get inspired and right the next No1 classic album!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @siraxeman maybe have a listen to Radiohead... think they use FX ;)
  • Beexter said:
    Each to their own.
    /end of thread
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    edited November 2017
    Hmmm.... I'm sort of in the middle on this one. I love fx - if used well. But then any tone used well is worth listening to. I listen to a lot of 1960s music. Obviously they didn't have anywhere near the range of fx available now. But you'll hear fuzz, wah, reverb, echo, trem, feedback. So as much as their tone was 'reliant' on volume and their guitars and amps it didn't take long for sounds to be 'coloured' in the studio. There's a world of difference between using fx and 'hiding behind fx.'   Personally I only have four pedals - 2 dirt, 1 tuner and 1 looper. The reason is - I have a Peavey modelling amp and it has fx built in. Everything from chorus to pitch shift to octaver to ring modulator. They are there if I want them. As colour. It's ideal for me as I don't have to manage a large pedal board. I can just gig with my guitar and amp and pretty much get any sound I like. However, a lot of what I play is a 'clean' tone. Works well as rhythm in a band setting. But I think there's two misconceptions - 1) anyone who doesn't really use effects just plays 'tired old blues cliches' and 2) people who do use fx are hiding their obvious lack of talent. Both of those notions are bollox.
    Edit - also I think 'people on here' are guitar nuts and it's easier and less expensive to buy and trade pedals and fx units than it is guitars. It's a gadget. it's fun. And - hey - it could even be useful. Nothing wrong with that IMO.
  • @siraxeman ;

Thanks for sharing. See I think you can clearly play. But there is a huge difference between what we would consider fx for.

See actually I do lIke plugging into an amp and bypassing the pedals. But i would not use fx to chase tone, in that situation pedals are just there to deliver the sounds I need. I don't believe in pedals as something to hide behind. Or as something to make me magically better than I am. I see pedals as an extension of my instruments capability. They can change how you play, how you think.

Take the edge. Remove his delay pedal and that huge sound is a very simple riff with the fx making something special happen. Take Gilmour's time solo. The delay makes it. It lifts it. With out the delay and flanger (I think) it's a fairly bland solo. These guys took the fx and saw a way of making them enhance the music.

Some guys now take pedsl use even further I and what csn be created is anazing, if you like it! I love messing with fx, creating soundscapes, making odd noises. Its far more a reason for me to enjoy guitar playing than cranking out covers etc.

Yet I enjoy covers gigs too. 

I really hate this argument and view point in the OP. I think its just another way of saying what I like is better than what you like. My way is the real way etc.. it' not needed. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Saying that using FX in creating guitar music is overvalued/overrated is like saying that using purple in creating art is overvalued/overrated.  Why would you restrict your creative options?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Forgive me @siraxeman for I have sinned - I’ve boight two pedal in the last two weeks!

You’re not Joe Bonamassa are you?
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited November 2017
    I got a Helix about 6weeks ago...plus own loads of pedals. I are much misunderstood...what you need to hear is when I are said pedals are the icing on the cake rather than the cake itself. I like FX but am far less into splitting the atom to get the ultimate...as I said icing on the cake!!  
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6673
    What are you OP? A cyclist?
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    No ya silly sausage... I are enlightened and a flat earth'er. One who knows ALL space travel is BOGUS but that while guitar fx are good, in the grand scheme of things not usually 'that' important. 

....and it wasn' me who said pedals are a substitute for t...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27989
    siraxeman said:
    pedals are the icing on the cake rather than the cake itself.  
    Some of us see cooking as more than just baking cakes.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • First go check out @GavRichList band. A player on this board who is awesome with fx and most certainly can play. The interweaving between guitar and synth is a joy.

https://m.soundcloud.com/strataville/rich-list-esha-ness-single-version
    WHO ?????

Never heard of em...
  • Actually, @GavRichList loved that song (the single ?) mate !

Like the improved natural development of New Order... great stuff
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7151
    edited November 2017
    @wazmeister ta. 3 pedals on that one. 

...all three were Boss. 
  • First go check out @GavRichList band. A player on this board who is awesome with fx and most certainly can play. The interweaving between guitar and synth is a joy.

Gav, this sounds absolutely brilliant, just the kind of music I'm into. Taut, dark, melancholic, and the synth and guitar sound great. Is that a Sub 37 I can hear?

I'm a fan.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    What the fuck ever.

/thread
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    You play bog standard covers don't you.....others paint multicolored pictures with their FX, a shimmer of delicate melodies hanging like gossamer in the cool wind...
    ...but not on this forum.  And the only wind is from their...but lets not go down that road!  :3 =) :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)

Gav, this sounds absolutely brilliant, just the kind of music I'm into. Taut, dark, melancholic, and the synth and guitar sound great. Is that a Sub 37 I can hear?

I'm a fan.
    Not on that track, no. All soft synths on that track - it was an early one, so the gear used was less sophisticated. The album has taken a few years to record, so it varies track to track. The Sub 37 (along with a Prophet 6) is on Breathe Under Water on the album, and is also on a track we’ve just finished in studio, which we’re still making our mind up on how best to release.