PayPal Payment Incorrect address issue

What's Hot
gubblegubble Frets: 1746
Hi
Wonder if anyone can give me some advice.
Purchased a pedal through a Facebook group paid via PayPal goods and services.
Seller then informs me the email address he gave was wrong - looks to be a genuine mistake.
The payment is showing as completed on PayPal to some random person.
PayPal advised  me the payment couldn't be cancelled and advised sending the random benefactor an email to request the money back. They also gave me his phone number (really odd and is that even legal) to call him and request the money gets sent back.
So I've just phoned a random person and spoken to their dad to try and explain that I've sent his son money by accident and can I have it back please.
Anyone had this before and has my money gone forever ?
PayPal chap on the phone assured me I had a money back guarantee.....

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sounds weird, but if you used Paypal goods and services you will be covered so I wouldnt lose any sleep over it. The seller sounds like a bit of a tit though - how exactly did he manage to give you a completedly incorrect, yet still active in someone elses name, paypal account?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pretty dodgy PayPal giving out the phone number!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    Used a hyphen rather than a dot.....
  • gubble said:
    Used a hyphen rather than a dot.....
    ah, that seems likely, I was about to call foul
    Yeah he seems very legit  (he's a real person and we have people in common) just made a mistake.
    Getting a refund from PayPal is going to be the fun bit 
  • If the wrong guy doesnt just refund you, which obviously he should if hes a decent human being, then just raise a paypal dispute and they will almost definitely find in your favour.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    I've done this before using PayPal gift. Lost £200! There was no way to get it back other than emailing the lucky recipient who unsurprisingly never responded
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Paypal have just escalated this to their resolution centre who agree that the payment was made in error have frozen the money and will refund on 27th November if he doesn't respond.

So no doubt have to wait until 27th November.......

• If not, small claims the pedal or cash out of the seller. You had an agreement and sent the money to the agreed PayPal address that he gave you, therefore you have legally upheld your side of the previously agreed sale.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    I had someone transfer 15 quid to me by mistake. They then sent me an email asking for it back, apologising for the mistake. I just gave it back.

I'm still waiting for the good karma though. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50 said:
    I had someone transfer 15 quid to me by mistake. They then sent me an email asking for it back, apologising for the mistake. I just gave it back.

God sez "I just gave you a wow, consider us quits".
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited November 2017
    Maybe they need to have more than just an email address, they could also require a name/account number or something similar, so that everything matches up when verifying a recipient. Having only a single database key field identifier for a financial transaction is a bit ridiculous.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    CHRISB50 said:

God sez "I just gave you a wow, consider us quits".
    Cheers big man :)

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    edited November 2017
    Yep...exactly this, I missed a double underscore and the £180 went to the wrong person, I took it right to the top at PP and got nowhere, I still send the recipient emails now about it just to annoy them for stealing my cash, I couldn't believe that PP wouldn't even contact them on my behalf, you are on your own here and unless they opt to pay you back its money lost. 
    Its a desperately flawed system, if you google it you will find it happens all the time and PP wont intervene, I only use PP as a last resort now, there customer service is terrible.

My last thread on this...http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/105907/costly-paypal-lesson#latest

Good luck.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72305
    Does this only happen if using Paypal Gift?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Mine was PPG

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72305
    I would definitely not use PPG for anything like that then, no matter what the seller asks for. You can always opt to cover the fees yourself.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    I would definitely not use PPG for anything like that then, no matter what the seller asks for. You can always opt to cover the fees yourself.

This is exactly why I used the goods or services option. I'll pay an extra couple of quid for when issues like this happen.

48 hours on and it's not been refunded yet :)

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    edited November 2017
    ICBM said:
    I don't think so, I think you'd be in the same position with goods and services but I'm not entirely sure.

I had a similar but different situation recently. I'd bought a pedal off the classifieds here. Paid the guy by PayPal but he didn't see the payment. Turned out I'd put one character wrong in his PayPal address. Luckily it hadn't gone through to anyone else and I could cancel it and then correct it. I always think it's a bit weird that you don't see the name of the person who's getting the credit until the payment has gone through. Anti-fraud measure I guess? 
    boogieman said:
    ICBM said:
    I don't think so, I think you'd be in the same position with goods and services but I'm not entirely sure.

I had a similar but different situation recently. I'd bought a pedal off the classifieds here. Paid the guy by PayPal but he didn't see the payment. Turned out I'd put one character wrong in his PayPal address. Luckily it hadn't gone through to anyone else and I could cancel it and then correct it. I always think it's a bit weird that you don't see the name of the person who's getting the credit until the payment has gone through. Anti-fraud measure I guess? 
    I said exactly this!...but other said they COULD see the recipients name before pressing go?

I also paid someone once who gave me the wrong address, apparently they contacted PP who set up a new address for them in the wrong name and the payment went through, I think that whole incorrect address things needs some attention, its so easy to make a misteake...;-) 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview