SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Fender 6G2 Princeton

What's Hot
Looking for a 6G2 Brownface Princeton in good condition.

Straight cash or possible PX for ‘61 Blonde Bassman (with 6G2 + cash coming my way)

Does anyone know of any around?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I saw this on eBay...

Quinn Derby (1961 6G3 F Deluxe + Octal preamp ) 15W amp + 1 x 12" cab - rare! https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/172978848803
  • @jellybelly that Quinn looks really nice but I’d prefer to downsize my Bassman + 112cab for an early 60s Fender combo. Cheers though!
  • I assumed it’d be a bit on the big side but anything blonde/brownface is rare!! I know Rift make some...
  • MajorDudeMajorDude Frets: 76
    edited November 2017
    Been gigging with this cool set up for the past few years, just fancy a vintage combo

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    The black/wheat tuxedo transitional ones come up far more often than the earlier brown/wheat. Still, I haven't seen any in the UK lately.

There's one on Reverb in Germany for £2969 - https://reverb.com/item/6475815-fender-princeton-brownface-1962-brown-tolex

Fantastic amps :)
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    RiftAmps said:
    The black/wheat tuxedo transitional ones come up far more often than the earlier brown/wheat. Still, I haven't seen any in the UK lately.

There's one on Reverb in Germany for £2969 - https://reverb.com/item/6475815-fender-princeton-brownface-1962-brown-tolex

I managed last year to score a decent original 6g2 in a deal off eBay.  But then @RiftAmps knows a bit about that as he kindly then gave it the once over for me.  I'd never sell mine though but thought I'd chime in to say there are occasional decent deals still to be had on these incredible amps. Good luck!
  • Cheers! 

I'm going to sell my 61 Bassman and hold out for the right deal....how much did you pay if you don’t mind me asking? PM some pics/info please
  • MarshallMarshall Frets: 362
    RiftAmps said:

Holy Moly, that looks like it was made yesterday in the first pic!!

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.” Einstein

Feedback link -  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133389/marshall#latest

• MarshallMarshall Frets: 362
    MajorDude said:
    Cheers! 

I'm going to sell my 61 Bassman and hold out for the right deal....how much did you pay if you don’t mind me asking? PM some pics/info please
    ..don't do it! Hold on to your beautiful Bassman and save your pennies for the combo ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.” Einstein

Feedback link -  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133389/marshall#latest

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Marshall said:
    ..don't do it! Hold on to your beautiful Bassman and save your pennies for the combo ;)
    Having sold a 6G6B Bassman myself to downsize I couldn’t agree more. If I had the money I’d be all over this one... 
    Good trades/sales with: Pluckbuddy, JDE, xXBADGERXx, Brize, alanchanxd, NigelP, Loobs, BusterCrabb, jimkehoe
  • @ruralfrance

Honestly, I hear ya. It's a tough decision.

I also owned a 1965 BF Bassman and a museum-grade 1964 Blonde/Wheat 6G6-B Bassman and of the three this one was the keeper by quite a margin. Both channels have their own sweet sound but it is LOUD and it is clear. The magic just happens too far round the dial for the gigs I do these days. 12 - 15 watts would suffice and I don't want to start carrying an attenuator.
  • @ruralfrance AND @Marshall ;

You guys win, the 61 Bassman is no longer for sale. I have literally been playing it all day (sorry neighbours) the Tele/Strat plugged-straight-in clean tone is just perfection to my ears. It took all my pedals very well too but adding a Cornish SS-3 for more drive at lower volume totally sealed the deal. I could easily cover my whole gig with the Bassman and that one pedal.

Pedal clear out coming up!  =)
  • Wise choice!  I loves me a low watt combo as much as the next man but they just can’t do that huge round clean tone like a bassman.

That presence control is just magic too...
    Good trades/sales with: Pluckbuddy, JDE, xXBADGERXx, Brize, alanchanxd, NigelP, Loobs, BusterCrabb, jimkehoe
  • 100% fact. Thank you for the intervention  :)
  • Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 320
    I'm also looking for a 6g2. Last time I saw one in the UK, it had a jbl speaker in it, and I think the guy wanted £1200, but that was a couple years ago. They are rare in the UK, and this extremely overpriced. I plan to buy one in the US and bring it back as they go for £1200 - £1600 over here and there's plenty of choice on Reverb.
    Unfortunately, once you add shipping and the UK tax, it's not really worth it. Good luck!
  • That’s pretty much my experience too, nice amp but the prices are getting ridiculous at the minute.

I found one in the U.S recently, bought it via credit card on the dealers website but was contacted next day to say the amp had sold a week earlier but they forgot to remove the listing. They refunded me in dollars two days later but I lost money on the fluctuating currency exchange and the credit card company also charged me £45 for the international transaction. I ended up with no amp and over £50 out of pocket so beware.

Still looking
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    Heresy maybe, but - why not get a clone built?
  • Thought about it but most clones seem to be priced close to their vintage counterparts
  • Hydra19 said:
    I'm also looking for a 6g2. Last time I saw one in the UK, it had a jbl speaker in it, and I think the guy wanted £1200, but that was a couple years ago. They are rare in the UK, and this extremely overpriced. I plan to buy one in the US and bring it back as they go for £1200 - £1600 over here and there's plenty of choice on Reverb.
    Unfortunately, once you add shipping and the UK tax, it's not really worth it. Good luck!
    There’s a re-cabbed 6G2 on eBay at the minute
  • Not sure if this is of interest, but after some recent purchases and with a DIY cab project lined up, I'm gearing up to list my reissue Ampeg J20 for sale here.  It's essentially a few component changes away from a 6G3 Brownface Deluxe, so not the 6G2 you're looking for, but pretty close.  It's all handwired/turretboard, not PCB, so a doddle to work on if you're that way inclined.  I've been running it in a homemade head cab I built for it, but I still have the original combo cab for it too.  PM me if you're interested!
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!