NGD...trading swag

What's Hot
ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
Bit of a late night trading trip last night yielded some fantastic swag

First up....finally an R8. This is an aged example in Tobacco. Nice chunky neck, with all of the candy. I've been poking around looking at R8s for a while, and this popped up unexpectedly. Very chuffed...

The ageing is very subtle, and includes some fantastic checking on the body...

To level off the deal it came with an EVH 5150 head and cab. Not really something I need, so keep an eye on the classifieds once I figure out a fair price for it.

(If you have a Les Paul and want an EVH drop me a line...)

The second result yesterday has turned out to be a real surprise. A 2017 Les Paul Traditional. Beautiful burst, comfortable neck, nice and weighty and a fantastic finish. A really really good guitar. Given how much people talk about Gibson negatives, I thought I'd try it to see what the story is. And I'm blown away by it. Most of my gear lives at my office/studio - but this has instantly become the house guitar. The board needs a good dose of lemon oil as it is very very dry, but other than that it's completely unmarked.  And yes, the poker chip is missing....but I kind of like it like that.

Not a bad day at all....
0reaction image LOL 17reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wow duly awarded :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Welcome to the 2017 Traditional owners club! They're fan-fucking-tastic! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    WTF did you trade in? Your Mrs?! 

:o 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That R8 looks amazing, but I don't understand why you'd want to buy 2 LPs in a single day when the second is so obviously less nice than the first.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    That R8 looks amazing, but I don't understand why you'd want to buy 2 LPs in a single day when the second is so obviously less nice than the first.
    Because the second is a really really really good guitar...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Gorgeous pair that, happy ngd.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Other guitars are available.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow awarded for that R8 alone, oooft!
  • That R8 looks amazing, but I don't understand why you'd want to buy 2 LPs in a single day when the second is so obviously less nice than the first.
    That's the thought that entered my mind.
    With an R8 being the Pinnacle of modern day ownership why would you buy another Les Paul?
    Yeah it's a good guitar etc etc but you've got a frickin R8!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    edited November 2017
    That R8 looks amazing, but I don't understand why you'd want to buy 2 LPs in a single day when the second is so obviously less nice than the first.
    That's the thought that entered my mind.
    With an R8 being the Pinnacle of modern day ownership why would you buy another Les Paul?
    Yeah it's a good guitar etc etc but you've got a frickin R8!
    Actually I disagree about the R8 being the pinnacle. The R7 I have is marginally better. They are just different. And different can be a good thing. Plus, as I said, I was curious to try out a bang up to date Les Paul to see what the fuss is about. As @Legionreturns says the Traditional is a superb guitar and i’m glad I got it. 
  • I guess I'm just not the guy who wants multiples of the same kind of guitar. 

Dibs on the R8 :P  
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited November 2017
    I guess I'm just not the guy who wants multiples of the same kind of guitar. 

Dibs on the R8 :P  
    Might be a bit of a wait but am sure we could arrange a borrow at some point  The commute to fetch it might be a bit of a bugger though!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I'm with @ellwood on this. 

I would say the R8 I had was pretty "pinnacle Les Paul" ish..

However, I've got my pinnacle Precision, but for some reason I still keep buying more of them...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    The R8 is lovely but it's the traditional that's caught my eye, lovely.
  • That R8 is well nice - for real if you do want to move it on (adn the 1st dibs doesnt happen) I'll buy it, and I live in Leicester
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    the 2017 traditional looks great, one of the nicest visual Les Pauls I've seen in a while, very not "the same" as the rest.
    That R8 is well nice - for real if you do want to move it on (adn the 1st dibs doesnt happen) I'll buy it, and I live in Leicester
    Thanks man, but I think this one will be sticking around!
    darcym said:
    the 2017 traditional looks great, one of the nicest visual Les Pauls I've seen in a while, very not "the same" as the rest.
    It really is lovely. Originally came from Peach, and their
    pics of it are stunning!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    ellwood said:
    That R8 is well nice - for real if you do want to move it on (adn the 1st dibs doesnt happen) I'll buy it, and I live in Leicester

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ellwood said:

Don’t you start. That sort of pisstake is the job of @Legionreturns ;