The Guitar Show February 24 - 25 2018 - The New Bingley Hall, Birmingham.

What's Hot
1678911

Comments

  • jakzekjakzek Frets: 54
    Enjoyed it just like the other years. Good to speak to the guys on The Fretboard stand. Do wish I’d spoke to more people/tried more gear but my head was killing after a few hours (probably should have visited the ACS stand!)

    Played Chris Buck’s blue highway one strat (very badly, I’m blaming cold hands) at the radioshop pickups stand, really nice guitar but couldn’t seem to get a tone I liked out of it. Then Chris appeared behind me so I handed him the guitar and he started playing with exactly the same settings and got the most lovely sound. And that’s when I realised tone really is in the hands..and I should probably seriously practise haha.

    One slight annoyance was that I bought tickets in advance from the ticket factory and was told to collect them on the day, but then I still had to queue in the big ‘on the door’ queue outside (hence the cold hands haha). Seemed a bit pointless buying tickets in advance when I didn’t really save much once the booking fee was added and I didn’t get quicker entry.

    Only a minor moan though, looking forward to next year! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • 2014 @Clarky , @digitalscream ,@monquixote , @TTony@ChrisMusic ; and me.

    2015 Clarky, digitalscream, monquixote, ttony, @Alnico and me.

    2016 Clarky, digitalscream, monquixote, ttony and me.

    2017 Clarky, digitalscream, monquixote, ttony, @Roland and me,.

    2018 clarky, digitalscream, ttony, @Bridgehouse - I was on loan to High Tech Distribution for guitar cleaning duties.

    May I say a big thank you to @Jason for putting up with my shenanigans for 6 shows. Please tell Ben Crowe that he has a fantastic sense of fun.
    Obviously my attempts at going off grid are working... :bleep_bloop: 
    Dum dum dum, dum dum de dum, dum dum dum, dum dummmm.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JasonJason Frets: 429
    @Jason ;
    Had a great day there, thanks! Thought the food and coffee setup was much better, and that also made room for more stalls. A great mix of smaller bespoke and larger company stuff, some of the independent guitars from UK and Europe were amazing and you get to see loads of cool stuff that you dont get in Guitar shops.

    Second car park was great, loads of spaces at 9.45.

    Dan Hawkins was good, but the interviewer needed to learn how to talk into the mic. Dan was audible, interviewer wasn’t.


    @markblagdon I will pass your comments on to Simon, better mic technique for next year
    The Guitar Show, The New Bingley Hall, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JasonJason Frets: 429
    Plectrum said:
    Well that was a very enjoyable day. I hadn't really planned on going but a pro guitarist friend of mine said mid-week that he was going so that swayed me. Got to play through a Marshall Origin, which I really, really liked Then later on Rob Williams let me play one of his guitars - the vaguely tele-ish one with the bigsby. Simply stunning but no way would my pension stretch to it. Thanks @Jason ; for putting on a good show :)

    P.S. I didn't think the noise level was too bad.
    @Plectrum Thanks for coming!
    The Guitar Show, The New Bingley Hall, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JasonJason Frets: 429
    Just back from the show. Nice to catch up with @Bridgehouse @digitalscream and @TTony again and put some faces to names (hello, @Rowby1).

    I was pleasantly surprised to see so many young people there. Who says guitar is dead? There were some fantastic guitars there; SBC had some beautiful instruments that were works of art and pretty original in their design. There were some radical metal instruments from Wunnadem(sp?) that might find a niche. They felt unplayable to me, but I like Telecasters so who am I to talk about innovation?

    The most interesting thing for me was a prototype multifx from @SmoothHoundUK with an interesting take on how to model the effects. I'd love to see the final version which might be around before Xmas.

    I've attended all the recent Birmingham shows run by @Jason and this was the best by far. Good job, fella!
    @vasselmeyer Cheers, the aim is to keep getting better :)
    The Guitar Show, The New Bingley Hall, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JasonJason Frets: 429
    spark240 said:
    We spent about 4 house or so there today, called into the FB pitch for freebies !....

    Good to see the Presonus chaps there, same for the ACS guy, liking the SBC guitars, Smooth hound prototype thingy, that guy with the plug in pedal board thing...that looks cool, then the usual suspects G4U, PMT ,....A very nice PRS 513 artist pack...but 6K ...ouch !

    Food Hall location was logistically better I thought, although a queue out the door meant I didnt buy anything to eat.

    Oddly I didnt think it was louder than previous years, but still the quiet time is a god send.

    Endless Les Pauls and Fenders get a bit tedious so good to see a couple fo new builders there today.

    All in all quite enjoyable morning @Jason ;; great job !


    @spark240 Thank you!
    The Guitar Show, The New Bingley Hall, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JasonJason Frets: 429


    I can confirm there were a number of youngsters in attendance as well as some proper beardy hipsters. Who says guitar isn't trendy?
    @mudslide73 Not me :)
    The Guitar Show, The New Bingley Hall, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JasonJason Frets: 429
    hobbio said:
    I went along with a mate today and popped over to the FB stand. It was nice to meet @TTony and @Bridgehouse for a (very) brief chat. I wore my cap all day despite looking like (even more of) a tit lol 

    @ThorpyFX ;; thanks for the receipt mate, it helped me out a lot Can't wait to spend some quality time with my new Warthog, and that tele of yours is really something special. I got to see some of @FelineGuitars fine instruments too, although I didn't play them myself. Stunning is not the word.

    I met Ben Crowe of Crimson guitars, he seems a nice fella and he offered me the chance to play his guitars. I stupidly didn't take him up on his offer as the stand was crowded and I'm not the best, wish I had now though! Next year then..

    @Jason thank you for organising such a good event.
    @hobbio thanks for coming!
    The Guitar Show, The New Bingley Hall, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JasonJason Frets: 429
    TTony said:
    Firstly, thanks to @Jason.

    He's getting quite good at putting these shows together now.  I reckon, after a few more years ...
    ;)

    Brilliant Jason, thanks,


    Secondly, thanks to all the FB'ers who came along and said "hi".  It might be a bit sad to say, but I really enjoy meeting people for real rather than just exchanging bits on a screen.  Apologies to everyone who I didn't immediately recognise from past years, and to everyone whose name I completely failed to hear through my ear plugs and the 120db of repetitive riffing.


    Thirdly, I think we'll go back to badges next year.  We (OK, I) thought that baseball caps would be easier to spot as people were walking around the show, but I failed to think that lots of people don't like wearing baseball caps.  

    Anyone want a job lot of theFB branded baseballs caps?


    Fourthly and Finally, that was - I think - our fourth year at the show.  We've been going more or less since we started.  It's been great to be part of the growth of the show through those years.  It's definitely grown a lot bigger, and (IMHO) better, each year.

    That also means that we're coming up to 5 YEARS OLD (later this year).

    Mark your diaries now.  On 4th/5th August this year (we went live on Sat 3rd Aug 2013) there's going to be a bit of a FretBoard birthday party.  A large bit of a party.

    @TTony give me another one, I think its almost there now... :) Many thanks for your support, it is greatly appreciated
    The Guitar Show, The New Bingley Hall, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JasonJason Frets: 429
    Lebarque said:
    I enjoyed my day there today too, with @fastonebaz. Highlights for me were watching the excellent Buck & Evans (great singer, great guitarist with average tone if I'm honest), playing a lovely Gretsch Broadcaster jr and playing @RiftAmps gorgeous Casino through his PR18. Who cares if it's player grade when it feels and sounds that great. My only regret? No Fender. I enjoyed playing all of their offerings last year. Well done, @Jason, a lovely day out again.

    Ps. The Marshall demo - the dsl40 sounded far superior to the Origin 20, but I'm putting that down to a 12 inch speaker vs. a 10.

    PPS. Fretboard name tags again next year please, although the cap will be useful for mowing the lawn.
    @Lebarque Thank you
    The Guitar Show, The New Bingley Hall, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JasonJason Frets: 429
    It was a great show and being our first it is definitely something we hope to be part of again next year and in the future.  Thanks to @Jason for squeezing us in late last year so we could be part of this years show
    @Graingerguitars I thought your stand looked great, thanks for doing the show
    The Guitar Show, The New Bingley Hall, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JasonJason Frets: 429
    jakzek said:
    Enjoyed it just like the other years. Good to speak to the guys on The Fretboard stand. Do wish I’d spoke to more people/tried more gear but my head was killing after a few hours (probably should have visited the ACS stand!)

    Played Chris Buck’s blue highway one strat (very badly, I’m blaming cold hands) at the radioshop pickups stand, really nice guitar but couldn’t seem to get a tone I liked out of it. Then Chris appeared behind me so I handed him the guitar and he started playing with exactly the same settings and got the most lovely sound. And that’s when I realised tone really is in the hands..and I should probably seriously practise haha.

    One slight annoyance was that I bought tickets in advance from the ticket factory and was told to collect them on the day, but then I still had to queue in the big ‘on the door’ queue outside (hence the cold hands haha). Seemed a bit pointless buying tickets in advance when I didn’t really save much once the booking fee was added and I didn’t get quicker entry.

    Only a minor moan though, looking forward to next year! 
    @jakzek did you buy the tickets at the last minute? usually its collect on the door when they haven't the time to post them out, sorry you had to queue but there isn't really any other way.
    The Guitar Show, The New Bingley Hall, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JasonJason Frets: 429
    Hi, thank you to everyone that came, I think I've answered most people that tagged me in. The feedback has been mostly very positive. I really appreciate the FretBoard and its member's support. I have plans for next year, but first I'm going to bed :)
    The Guitar Show, The New Bingley Hall, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • fandangofandango Frets: 1189
    Many thanks to @Jason (and the exhibitors) for a great show. I enjoyed it more this year than previous. Great balance between the big names (Marshall), the small (Storm Shadow guitars), the local (Thorpyfx), the not so local (Kool amps). Was giving thought to doing two days, but the ears wouldn't have taken it well.

    Despite being there most of Saturday, I missed a number of things - would have liked to have spent more time chatting to those manning the Fretboard stand, trying the Shergold guitars, playing through a Rift and a Gartone, checking out Thorpyfx's new pedals, the Live Tent (only caught the last 5 minutes of Dan Hawkins) etc etc ... 

    To me this running out of time proves the show's getting better in some respects, and that it's for the guitar player rather than guitar collector.

    The separate food hall/tent was better from a punter's perspective, rather than the table next to the bar. And there was better use of the foyer to fit in another 3/4/5 exhibitors that gave the whole show (can we call it an exhibition?) a more substantial air.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JasonJason Frets: 429
    fandango said:
    Many thanks to @Jason (and the exhibitors) for a great show. I enjoyed it more this year than previous. Great balance between the big names (Marshall), the small (Storm Shadow guitars), the local (Thorpyfx), the not so local (Kool amps). Was giving thought to doing two days, but the ears wouldn't have taken it well.

    Despite being there most of Saturday, I missed a number of things - would have liked to have spent more time chatting to those manning the Fretboard stand, trying the Shergold guitars, playing through a Rift and a Gartone, checking out Thorpyfx's new pedals, the Live Tent (only caught the last 5 minutes of Dan Hawkins) etc etc ... 

    To me this running out of time proves the show's getting better in some respects, and that it's for the guitar player rather than guitar collector.

    The separate food hall/tent was better from a punter's perspective, rather than the table next to the bar. And there was better use of the foyer to fit in another 3/4/5 exhibitors that gave the whole show (can we call it an exhibition?) a more substantial air.
    @fandango you can call it whatever you like, as long as you keep coming :) Thanks for your help!
    The Guitar Show, The New Bingley Hall, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 237
    Great day out yesterday.  Tried a lot of guitars and learned an awful lot.  Great to see some of the names off here - missed the badges though!

    Noise was as expected and, like others, we appreciated the quiet times.

    If there has to be a negative comment then find someone to run the live stage who a) can tell the time and b) understands that just making everything louder doesn't actually help you hear stuff.

    Thanks @Jason and the team, we'll be back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Apologies to @EricTheWeary .  He was there at the very beginning of tFB being at The Guitar Show 2014.  You can 't have been nearly annoying enough.

    @Monquixote, I missed your annual funk clinic.

     @TheOtherDennis ;, @koneguitarist , @ennspek , @McToot , I hope to see you next year.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • fandangofandango Frets: 1189
    Jason said:
    fandango said:
    Many thanks to @Jason (and the exhibitors) for a great show. I enjoyed it more this year than previous. Great balance between the big names (Marshall), the small (Storm Shadow guitars), the local (Thorpyfx), the not so local (Kool amps). Was giving thought to doing two days, but the ears wouldn't have taken it well.

    Despite being there most of Saturday, I missed a number of things - would have liked to have spent more time chatting to those manning the Fretboard stand, trying the Shergold guitars, playing through a Rift and a Gartone, checking out Thorpyfx's new pedals, the Live Tent (only caught the last 5 minutes of Dan Hawkins) etc etc ... 

    To me this running out of time proves the show's getting better in some respects, and that it's for the guitar player rather than guitar collector.

    The separate food hall/tent was better from a punter's perspective, rather than the table next to the bar. And there was better use of the foyer to fit in another 3/4/5 exhibitors that gave the whole show (can we call it an exhibition?) a more substantial air.
    @fandango you can call it whatever you like, as long as you keep coming :) Thanks for your help!
    My pleasure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Thanks @Jason for a great show, just got back to Scotland with a very full inbox and a list of orders to get sorted ASAP

    Thanks to those who came to see us on the Gryphin/Modulus Stand, I didn't manage to get up to the Fretboard stand for any length of time unfortunately but I did see a number of familiar faces around the show which was nice and made a whole bunch of new friends.

    Only purchase was custom ACS ear plugs on Sunday, Saturday made me realize my hearing was quite important to me. they will be useful in the factory too when the machines are all running.

    Coffee was great, it was a bit cooler were we where so we drank loads of it, could have been stronger for me, but I have a problem that way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3037
    Jason said:
    Hi, thank you to everyone that came, I think I've answered most people that tagged me in. The feedback has been mostly very positive. I really appreciate the FretBoard and its member's support. I have plans for next year, but first I'm going to bed :)
    one thing I forgot to mention was the refreshing number of leftie guitars
    of course from my little back-to-front perspective it'd be wonderful to see a couple more..
    however, this year more than any other, the leftie visitors had more guitars available to play than mine and maybe 2 or 3 others in the show...
    we are an often neglected bunch.. but this year was far better for us..
    it did not go unnoticed by us lot..
    so..
    a giant sized thank you to all the guitar makers and distributors that gave us some consideration..
    it was hugely appreciated
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 8229
    Apologies to @EricTheWeary .  He was there at the very beginning of tFB being at The Guitar Show 2014.  You can 't have been nearly annoying enough.

    @Monquixote, I missed your annual funk clinic.

     @TheOtherDennis ;, @koneguitarist , @ennspek , @McToot , I hope to see you next year.

    I missed the free hugs and "something for the dads"
    Handsome_Chris said: Like white Nile Rodgers. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 901
    @Jason thanks for organising a great show. I had lots of sales on Saturday, slightly fewer on the Sunday when I think (could be wrong) the demographic seemed a little older. Nice to meet existing and new customers who dropped by the Fredric Effects stand to chat and try stuff out. I got some helpful feedback on the prototype Fredric guitar too, so expect to see more of those at future shows. The coffee was also excellent, cups could have been bigger, but whatyagonnado.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Birmingham has a coffee festival in June, maybe there should be a TheFB stand there! 
    Dum dum dum, dum dum de dum, dum dum dum, dum dummmm.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JasonJason Frets: 429
    timhulio said:
    @Jason thanks for organising a great show. I had lots of sales on Saturday, slightly fewer on the Sunday when I think (could be wrong) the demographic seemed a little older. Nice to meet existing and new customers who dropped by the Fredric Effects stand to chat and try stuff out. I got some helpful feedback on the prototype Fredric guitar too, so expect to see more of those at future shows. The coffee was also excellent, cups could have been bigger, but whatyagonnado.
    Cheers Tim, nice to meet you.
    The Guitar Show, The New Bingley Hall, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 1718
    Birmingham has a coffee festival in June, maybe there should be a TheFB stand there! 
    Coffee festival with defibrillators on hand I hope. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 4765
    Bet you are glad the show was last weekend @Jason - looking at the weather now and the forecast for the next few days, it might have been hit 'n' miss for many exhibitors to have got there this coming Friday and Customers Sat/Sun
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JasonJason Frets: 429
    Bet you are glad the show was last weekend @Jason - looking at the weather now and the forecast for the next few days, it might have been hit 'n' miss for many exhibitors to have got there this coming Friday and Customers Sat/Sun
    @guitars4you I live in permanent fear of the weather
    The Guitar Show, The New Bingley Hall, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Jason said:
    Just back from the show. Nice to catch up with @Bridgehouse @digitalscream and @TTony again and put some faces to names (hello, @Rowby1).

    I was pleasantly surprised to see so many young people there. Who says guitar is dead? There were some fantastic guitars there; SBC had some beautiful instruments that were works of art and pretty original in their design. There were some radical metal instruments from Wunnadem(sp?) that might find a niche. They felt unplayable to me, but I like Telecasters so who am I to talk about innovation?

    The most interesting thing for me was a prototype multifx from @SmoothHoundUK with an interesting take on how to model the effects. I'd love to see the final version which might be around before Xmas.

    I've attended all the recent Birmingham shows run by @Jason and this was the best by far. Good job, fella!
    @vasselmeyer Cheers, the aim is to keep getting better :)

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • @vasselmeyer the spelling is indeed correct, Wunnadem. They have been designed to look radical but actually make playing easier. This of course takes a bit of time to get used to, but have a look on our Facebook to see some people touching one for the first time very successfully :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 98
    Really great show. Thanks to @Jason ; and everyone who came to hang out with us and chat at the D'Addario booth.
    I'm sure we'll be back again next year!

    Fretted Specialist for D'Addario UK
    Please feel free to reach out to me with queries about D'Addario.
    ____________________
    www.adamironside.com
    www.youtube.com/Adji87
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Sign In or Register to comment.