Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Guitar Show February 24 - 25 2018 - The New Bingley Hall, Birmingham.

What's Hot

Comments

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204

Got bored, went home. 
    Managed to chat to a good number of exhibitors, but sorry never caught up with you proper (after finding you talking to Mr Guitars4You). Next time, eh?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • For me it's always difficult to meet up with fellow fretboard members when I don't actually know what they look like. May I suggest next year we can bring back name tags with out fretboard names on?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27434
    For me it's always difficult to meet up with fellow fretboard members when I don't actually know what they look like. May I suggest next year we can bring back name tags with out fretboard names on?
    Yes.

We tried baseball caps this year, thinking that they'd be easier to spot as people were wandering around.

But then people didn't wear them ...

:(
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    TTony said:
    For me it's always difficult to meet up with fellow fretboard members when I don't actually know what they look like. May I suggest next year we can bring back name tags with out fretboard names on?
    Yes.

We tried baseball caps this year, thinking that they'd be easier to spot as people were wandering around.

I know at least one person who wore theirs ....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    fandango said:
    TTony said:
    Yes.

I know at least one person who wore theirs ....
    Star!
  • fandango said:
    First moan 

What was the point in buying a ticket in advance and then still having to queue a mile long behind the people that are paying on the door which is 90% so far 
    To get your hand stamped so you can gain re-entry.
    There should have been two lines. 

One for people that had pre purchased physical tickets and the other for people paying on the door

Thats supposed to be one of the incentives of buying upfront 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTony said:
    Yes.

Trouble is ive been told I resemble Donald trump when wearing a baseball cap so I refuse to wear one :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader

One for people that had pre purchased physical tickets and the other for people paying on the door

Yes there should, it was supposed to happen that way, after I saw your first post about it it was sorted inside of 2 minutes. Again, apologies for that
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6776
    @Jason ;
    Had a great day there, thanks! Thought the food and coffee setup was much better, and that also made room for more stalls. A great mix of smaller bespoke and larger company stuff, some of the independent guitars from UK and Europe were amazing and you get to see loads of cool stuff that you dont get in Guitar shops.

Second car park was great, loads of spaces at 9.45.

Dan Hawkins was good, but the interviewer needed to learn how to talk into the mic. Dan was audible, interviewer wasn’t.

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • dariusdarius Frets: 631
    Agree @mrkb. Some very interesting stuff on show. Got myself the couple of show deals i was after. ACS team and the DUNLOP/MXR guys were great. But the NOISE! It was higher than my last 2 visits. I had full eaplugs in and still suffered. I think 1hr Noise / 1hr Quiet / repeat would be a lot better. We do want to talk to the stand owners.
    The only justificable ludicrous noise level was Dan Hawkins's. That tone just had to be that loud.
    And bigpoints for the coffee choice.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3820
    fandango said:
    First moan 

What was the point in buying a ticket in advance and then still having to queue a mile long behind the people that are paying on the door which is 90% so far 

Quit the moaning, @Fortheloveofguitar. It was a simple mistake that comes with organising events like this, which was rectified quickly. We're damn lucky that @Jason goes to the effort of organising the show for us, so let's support and encourage him, not start nitpicking before the doors have even opened! Glass half full, pal.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Agreed. Would love to have chatted more too but pretty difficult there obviously. I guess that's what email is for really and to try stuff out there. Which is in itself difficult too as you can't really differentiate some sounds against the surrounding soundscape but that's the nature of the beast I guess 
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited February 2018
    Lebarque said:
    fandango said:
    First moan 

Quit the moaning, @Fortheloveofguitar. It was a simple mistake that comes with organising events like this, which was rectified quickly. We're damn lucky that @Jason goes to the effort of organising the show for us, so let's support and encourage him, not start nitpicking before the doors have even opened! Glass half full, pal.

Sling your hook fella 

Jason does a great job of the show but come on it’s been going several years now and that is a pretty basic thing that should have been in place straight out of the box. 

I wasn’t the only person saying that while in the queue 

Pal
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jason said:

Yes there should, it was supposed to happen that way, after I saw your first post about it it was sorted inside of 2 minutes. Again, apologies for that
    No worries Jason like I said you put on a great show 
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Well that was a very enjoyable day. I hadn't really planned on going but a pro guitarist friend of mine said mid-week that he was going so that swayed me. Got to play through a Marshall Origin, which I really, really liked Then later on Rob Williams let me play one of his guitars - the vaguely tele-ish one with the bigsby. Simply stunning but no way would my pension stretch to it. Thanks @Jason ; for putting on a good show :)

P.S. I didn't think the noise level was too bad.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • I think that this day at least confirmed to me that I'm a in the market for a valentine with trem guitar this year. When they're released is the summer that is. Time to save up 
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    edited February 2018
    Well, it was nice to meet some folk from here in person, and some interesting gear and performances.

A shame the Fretboard 'on the sofa' event was cancelled, apparently due to lack of interest - I got there at 4pm, just a bit late.  One of the performers earlier in the day was playing a blackface style Rift amp, and really had a great sound with it IMO (ES335 with Bigsby, thru a few effects, including Strymon Flint, into the Rift).  That impressed me more than a product dem, as it was actually used in a live gig situation.

Dan Hawkins was good, and there was a young guy in the acoustic area who was demonstrating uke's and nylon string guitars, and he was really good! Billy Watman was his name, he seemed really young, but very good indeed!
  • Also just want to point out that my bext amp will be a @RiftAmps amp. They are such a joy to see and here. Only went for my RDA Dualist because of its master volume for my needs at the moment. Next time ..... next time :) beautiful amps :)
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    for the first time ever...
    I didn't get told off by the noise police..

I was a good lil' Carky
    play every note as if it were your first
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sssshhhhhh.