Buying from reverb seller in Canada

What's Hot
Hi guys, 

Anyone ever buy a guitar from Canada? the price is around 1300 plus 150 quid for shipping but it still works out really cheap compared with the same guitar here. Will I have to pay duty? Anyone know how much roughly it would be?

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Approximately add on 25% I think.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Yep VAT is 20% of the price and they charge that on postage too, duty is another 4-5% or something. 
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
    I think duty is paid on the total price (i.e. including shipping), plus VAT.

Also remember some couriers charge you a customs clearing fee.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    You could ask the seller to declare a low value when shipping. That's obviously illegal;)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    Beware of CITES though...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    Hi guys, 

Anyone ever buy a guitar from Canada? the price is around 1300 plus 150 quid for shipping but it still works out really cheap compared with the same guitar here. Will I have to pay duty? Anyone know how much roughly it would be?

Thanks!
    they will charge you on the guitar value and the postage can be pricey. 

I was looking at some great deals in Japan last night but with the tax they are not so great deals :( 
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    ^And it will only be insured for the declared value.
    Duty on an electric guitar is 3.7%. VAT is paid on the sum of guitar plus shipping plus duty. You'll pay £13.50 handling with Parcelforce if shipped by regular carrier and potentially as much or more if shipped by DHL/FedEx (this is an administration fee for the company processing the customs payment for you - some carriers charge a flat fee, some a percentage).

Does it have rosewood anywhere on it? if so, add another £75 ish for your import license plus a 2 week wait for processing before shipping.
  • some quick maths:

= bugger that
    Guitar 1317
    Shipping 141
    Duty 53
    Total before vat 1511
    vat 302.2
    Total 1813.2
    Guitar - Costs  496

Its a 2013 Luke III anyone selling one cheaper than 1813?   =)

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    What you should really do is spend the difference on a holiday to Canada, it's a wonderful place.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    rico said:
    What you should really do is spend the difference on a holiday to Canada, it's a wonderful place.
    I do wonder why I don't move there. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14211
    tFB Trader
    John_A said:
    You could ask the seller to declare a low value when shipping. That's obviously illegal;)
    impmann said:
    Beware of CITES though...
    Does it have a rosewood fingerboard - if yes then you'll need the seller to obtain an ppropriate CITES Certificate

If you false declare/under declare then that also becomes the value you are insured to as well - so just be careful and aware
  • Yes it does have a rosewood fingerboard so id need to add that on top of it I think ill pass!
    tFB Trader
    Yes it does have a rosewood fingerboard so id need to add that on top of it I think ill pass!
    It is a pain for all I'm afraid - seller needs to sort it out at his end and can take 4-8 weeks - don't know fees at his end, but such a pain that some will just refuse to sell outside their customs jurisdiction - I'm not sure if you then need a EU import CITES as well

By the way if it only had rosewood bridge pins or tuning buttons, the same crap law applies - granted you can take them of for the sale and post them separately - but you get the jist
  • You would need a CITES import permit too. Imperative to have it before the exporter ships. A guy on MLP had his guitar seized by UK customs when it arrived with correct US CITES export docs but without the UK import ones. The whole thing is a complete ball ache.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    You would need a CITES import permit too. Imperative to have it before the exporter ships. A guy on MLP had his guitar seized by UK customs when it arrived with correct US CITES export docs but without the UK import ones. The whole thing is a complete ball ache.
    thanks for update and edit on this - I know suppliers need 2 CITES docs - export from wherever and import to the EU but wasn't sure for private sales as I don't buy from the USA any longer
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3620
    adamm82 said:
    rico said:
    I do wonder why I don't move there. 
    The cold?