Katana 100 as back-up amp?

What's Hot
My 65 DRRI needs to go for a check up & repair (making strange white noise, sometimes a buzz like a fly trapped inside it, reverb not working), and I don't have a back-up amp.

Was considering a Katana 100 combo (the 1x12) as it's very reasonably priced and reports have been good. 

What do people think of them? If I like it enough, I might stop gassing after far. Ore expensive 2nd amps (I can't really afford a Louis Electric Columbia, unless I ravage another credit card...)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The only problem with having it as a backup amp, is that you'll quickly become used to the weight (or lack of) plus very good (for the money) sound. You'll then take the lazy choice more often than not and it'll become your main amp. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    Yeah it'll work, though you'll need to get into the software to edit the global EQ to give it a blackface type overall feel. 

I found it very brash until I scooped the upper mids quite radically - I now have an overall Fenderish tonality with the EQ on top of the amp set around halfway, giving me something to play with for different venues. 

Best bet is to have the two amps side by side to match the Katana properly to your Deluxe instead of trying to copy it from memory. I spent a worthwhile hour doing that today while my neighbours were out. 
    :)
  • The only problem with having it as a backup amp, is that you'll quickly become used to the weight (or lack of) plus very good (for the money) sound. You'll then take the lazy choice more often than not and it'll become your main amp. 

It's this kind of gas-fuelling logic that'll have me buying a more expensive, heavier back-up amp, damn it! :)

It's this kind of gas-fuelling logic that'll have me buying a more expensive, heavier back-up amp, damn it! :)
    Or... You could fuel an alternative gas splurge by trading your original amp for a nice guitar ;)

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Or... You could fuel an alternative gas splurge by trading your original amp for a nice guitar ;)

I'm already selling a nice guitar (a Gretsch).
  • My backup amp is a sansamp fly rig.
    Great fender blackface sounds (and a few extras) weighs sod all and might even squeeze on your pedalboard.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • My backup amp is a sansamp fly rig.
    Great fender blackface sounds (and a few extras) weighs sod all and might even squeeze on your pedalboard.
    Does that connect to any unpowered speaker at the end of my pedal chain?

In other news, I tried this guitar into a 65 PRRI,

https://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/fender-2017-ltd-ed-american-pro-mahogany-tele-deluxe-shawbucker-crimson-red-trans.html?source=shopping&sku=fen0175104738&gclid=Cj0KCQiAi7XQBRDnARIsANeLIesFuqDzweD-8eZG-ktbisQF-QflSlT7LKpnFk1XrbgPyR-lfZDTRawaAlpVEALw_wcB

I was offered £2165 for both guitar and amp if I traded in my Roadworn 60s Jazzmaster.

SO SO CLOSE to going for it. That Tele with those Shawbuckers into a BF Princeton was something else.

Quite an expensive back-up option!!!
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    I’ve just taken delivery of the 50w tonight, a quick low volume check and I don’t like it at all, doesn’t sound miles away from my old park gr10. 

Either this thing only sounds good with more volume or ta going back to the shop. 
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    If you can connect to the Boss Tone Studio, update to V2 and try some of the Tone Central patches. I’ve saved 4 of the Blues ones, amended FX to those I want and it sounds pretty good, I think. The V2 presets, on the other hand, sounded  awful to me. 
    grungebob said:
    I’ve just taken delivery of the 50w tonight, a quick low volume check and I don’t like it at all, doesn’t sound miles away from my old park gr10. 

Either this thing only sounds good with more volume or ta going back to the shop. 
    My experience exactly, I had to radically scoop the upper mids in the global EQ, and now I'm delighted with it. 

I'll never understand why people say it sounds great out of the box, it sounded awful to me. 

It's up to you whether you persevere, but it was definitely worth it for me. 
    edited November 2017
    p90fool said:
    grungebob said:

My experience exactly, I had to radically scoop the upper mids in the global EQ, and now I'm delighted with it. 

I'll never understand why people say it sounds great out of the box, it sounded awful to me. 

It's up to you whether you persevere, but it was definitely worth it for me. 
    Nice to know I’m not alone. Like I said I’ve had less than 10 mins with it but it doesn’t sound as good as the 10 mins I had with a blackstar ID core 40. 
    Ill check again tomorrow with more volume but then it defetes the notion of me using this as a late night practice amp. 
    Used the amp a bit more now and I’m getting some tones out that are nice, haven’t tried the V2 software yet but I’m hoping it’ll allow me to do something with the lead and Brown sounds as I don’t like them at all, both very 80’s sounding no matter what I do to the EQ. 
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
    grungebob said:
    Used the amp a bit more now and I’m getting some tones out that are nice, haven’t tried the V2 software yet but I’m hoping it’ll allow me to do something with the lead and Brown sounds as I don’t like them at all, both very 80’s sounding no matter what I do to the EQ. 
    I think you’ll find that’s a feature rather than a bug... :-)

Factory “voicing” (before you start playing around with the global eq etc) is very much r-a-w-k which was fine for me but obviously isn’t going to suit everyone...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    It is, but if you give the whole amp a Blackface type voice using the global EQ the Brown channel has some lovely smooth low gain sounds available. 

It's actually a very tactile amp to play once the brash mids have gone. 
    edited November 2017
    Ok. So ignoring the lead and brown channels I can get the sounds I want from this amp now I’ve realised the EQ section isn’t really functioning as my other amps do. The boosts with the crunch has channel has changed my opinion of this amp and  I’m liking it a lot. 
    Hopefully this weekend I can connect it to my Mac and tweak those two channels I don’t like into something better. 
  • p90fool said:
    It is, but if you give the whole amp a Blackface type voice using the global EQ the Brown channel has some lovely smooth low gain sounds available. 

Out of interest, have you played with the global eq beyond getting a more fender, scooped voicing? I'd be interested in whether it can get more voxy tones. 

Also, once the global eq is set, how much "change" is available from the eq on the control panel? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:

Out of interest, have you played with the global eq beyond getting a more fender, scooped voicing? I'd be interested in whether it can get more voxy tones. 

Also, once the global eq is set, how much "change" is available from the eq on the control panel? 
    I haven't tbh, because my primary concern is for gigging, so when I get it to do exactly what I want I'm going to leave it. 

On your other point, the sweep of the onboard EQ is actually very smooth and fairly limited. 

To me, that's a great feature, there's no tiny sweet spot plus a load of horrible crap like there is with most non valve amps - it's natural, progressive, and you don't have to worry about accidentally dialling in a viciously unusable tone. 

I've set my global EQ to give a particular overall feel with the EQ knobs set halfway. 

I see on some forums people have started to experiment with speaker swaps in Katanas which seems pointless to me, the global EQ is like having an infinite and totally controllable number of speaker choices. 

I don't see why you couldn't make it more Vox-like tbh, the dynamic "feel" of the amp is genuinely excellent, and the tone shaping possibilities are pretty much endless. 
  • For a nice voxy tone I use the sneaky amp VO Drive. I set the mids and presence to 0-10, the bass to 30-40 and the treble to 80-90. That gives me a nice chimey vox clean. then, I adjust the gain or use the internal pedals to push it when needed...

Hope it helps...
  • p90fool said:
    p90fool said:

I haven't tbh, because my primary concern is for gigging, so when I get it to do exactly what I want I'm going to leave it. 

On your other point, the sweep of the onboard EQ is actually very smooth and fairly limited. 

To me, that's a great feature, there's no tiny sweet spot plus a load of horrible crap like there is with most non valve amps - it's natural, progressive, and you don't have to worry about accidentally dialling in a viciously unusable tone. 

I've set my global EQ to give a particular overall feel with the EQ knobs set halfway. 

I see on some forums people have started to experiment with speaker swaps in Katanas which seems pointless to me, the global EQ is like having an infinite and totally controllable number of speaker choices. 

I don't see why you couldn't make it more Vox-like tbh, the dynamic "feel" of the amp is genuinely excellent, and the tone shaping possibilities are pretty much endless. 

That's reassuring, very cool to hear it gets the feel right. I heard one when they first came out and assumed I was hearing a jtm45 so it's capable of good sounds. I have not tried one yet though. 
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    p90fool said:
    p90fool said:

The dynamics of the amp are what alot of people pick up on firstly I think.  Not like the older generation SS stuff at all.