1974 stratocaster specifications

What's Hot
hi all.

i'm after a 1974 fender strat.

is there any characteristics or specs that can help me identify one?

for example I know that it would have a large headstock with bullet truss rod. I have come across some but sometimes the sellers don't really know themselves, except what they have been told

I'm in talks with one prospective seller,but he doesn't really know, so we are working together to work it out. you never know, I might finally end up getting one if it checks out!!

thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Pot codes & neck heel stamp, the seller will need to undo a few screws!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14181
    edited November 2017 tFB Trader
    Early 70's saw a few transition changes but by the time you get to late 73/74 then the only change was to the pick-ups - you might just get lucky still on a set of p/ups with grey bobbins, as per the late 60's era, with staggered pole pieces

otherwise 3 way switch was standard in those days

remember in 1974 the only option was colour, trem/hardtail, rosewood or maple board - otherwise all Strat's had the same spec - not sure what else to add but any specific queries then just ask
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Plastics should be white, with w/b/w scratchplate.

Later ones often ‘acquire’ these to make them look older, so check other points made by other posters.
    tFB Trader
    http://www.strat-central.com/70sstrats/

some interesting points for you to look at
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    finest1 said:

i'm after a 1974 fender strat.

is there any characteristics or specs that can help me identify one?
    Large head, bullet truss rod, 3-bolt neck, cast alloy bridge saddles, single-piece bridge block (look for small notches under the intonation screw heads), usually flat pole pickups (early 74s are still staggered), serial number usually in the 500000 series, although high 400000s and low 600000s are possible.

For more accurate dating if you think you've got a '74, have a look at the link guitars4you posted.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    There were some absolutely fabulous things made in 1974. 

Like me.

And my P-Bass.

But given the money you have to shell out now, I'm not sure a 74 Strat is fabulous enough. 
    tFB Trader

Like me.

And my P-Bass.

but some look worn out and wrecked - some are still in good condition
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579

Like me.

And my P-Bass.

but some look worn out and wrecked - some are still in good condition
    Yeah. The P bass is surprisingly tidy for it's age.

Me however...
  • hi all

thanks very much for the advice.

seller has told me that the pickups are not staggered. its a black body, white scratchplate and pickups, and maple neck. seller did agree to check heel joint for any stamps or inscriptions. will update you when I get more information
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    finest1 said:

seller has told me that the pickups are not staggered. its a black body, white scratchplate and pickups, and maple neck. seller did agree to check heel joint for any stamps or inscriptions. will update you when I get more information
    If he's going to take it apart he would be better to lift the pickguard and check the pickup and pot codes.

If it has an *original* white guard and flat-pole pickups it must be a '74 or '75, since black pickguards started in '75.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 30880
    Wot Mark @guitars4you ; said. Try hold out for the graybacks- they're amazing and make a huge difference to the tone. Technically stopped in 73 but often find them in ely 74's.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.